lever gun. attaching a sling?

vujade

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, I know it's kinda mall ninja, but I like a single point sling on a saddle ring carbine.

Might talk to a 'smith about making yours into a saddle ring [unless it's a collectors rifle] and then, it will look appropriate.....well except for the sling :pleased:

thanks for the comments.

The rifle has really nice wood (well, coming from a world of plastic - I'm starting to see why folks appreciate nice wood). And so I hate to do anything to it. I'd like to keep it as original as possible.

However, a rifle without a sling just feels like going out without a belt. Plus, it's handy to carry around. I'll put a simple sling on there. Mainly to carry and put on a hasty sling to help steady it.

It's already got a saddle ring. I guess I can mount one part of the sling there; how about the front? Is there a way to attach to the magazine tube? (without ruining the magazine tube of course.

I notice the barrel band doesn't have a place to put a swivel unlike some of the marlins I've seen. Can one get a replacement barrel band that already has a sling swivel/post?

@Mike... I just googled prusik hitch. Nice idea! I knew I should have stayed in the boy scouts.

question - is the magazine tube strong enough?

and how do you attache it to the wrist of the stock? (just a large loop?)

Guest canebreaker

Shotgun sling. It's web material, one end is made for the butt of the stock, the other loops around the barrel. Nothing fansy. I have one for my shotguns, singleshot, pump and auto. It works on all of them. My son used it on his winchester 94.

Guest AmericanWorkMule

A real sports car shouldn't have cup holders!

A real camera shouldn't have built in light metering, same goes for the stupid auto-focus!

A lever action rifle shouldn't have a sling.
Guest AmericanWorkMule

Those are pretty cool.

levergunleather makes a butt cover/sling

I just learned about the Mossberg 464 ZOMBIE Lever-Action Rifle, sling not included

Mossberg_Supressor.jpg

Well, I don't have a horse or ATV for scabbard, so will have to be an iconoclast.

Shouldn't have a scope either, I know. Oops.

- OS

The Glenfield (Marlin) 336 30-30 that I inherited from my dad came new with a factory scope mount already installed and a factory scope was included. He got the rifle new back in the '70s (I remember when he got it - I was just a little kid and thought it was the coolest thing ever.) When he started letting me shoot it a lot in my teens (I pretty much learned how to shoot a rifle on that gun as both of my early guns were shotguns) I took the scope off but left the scope mount on it. I have a love/hate relationship with scopes as I find them slow to use/acquire a target but have come to appreciate them more now that my eyes are 40 and not 16. Anyhow, I still have the original scope that came with the gun and it is actually back on it, now. It even says 'Marlin' on the scope tube in white lettering and their usual font.

When dad would let me carry it when I went deer hunting with him as a teen, the one thing I always thought I would change was the fact that it didn't have a sling. We always went down to Lookout Mountain where he grew up to hunt and mostly did ground/stalk hunting. Walking all over the woods and hills of Lookout Mountain, crossing creeks and so on for miles and hours at a time, I always thought it would be handy to have a sling so I could use both hands to balance myself when needed. When the gun became mine, one of the first things I did was install sling swivels. I used the 'ring' type that mounts to the barrel/magazine tube for the front but had to drill/tap for the rear. Snapped a drill bit and didn't do the best job. In the end, it has a rear sling swivel and wears a leather thumbhole sling that I think looks 'right' on it but I did bugger the wood a little and wish that I had just gone with the leather buttcuff/sling like pictured above. Unfortunately, at the time I had never seen that type of sling. FYI for those interested, I have seen that type of sling at Outdoor World/Bass Pro in Sevierville. IIRC, they weren't very expensive for what they are - maybe $40 or so.

Edited by JAB