New Take-Down Ruger 10/22

Oh Shoot

Why does it have to be so fugly? What is so wrong with walnut and blued steel?

Walnut will rot. Blued steel will rust. This is marketed as a brush gun or woods gun. Something that you don't mind having out in the rain and whatnot. Seems a little thought would have answered your question before you asked it.

The marlin Papoose is finished in black plastic and stainless too. If you want pretty, get a Browning SA-22.

More: If you're not familiar, the takedown works almost exactly like the Ruger. JMB just beat them to the punch by nearly 100 years.

Edited by mikegideon

I like to see that after all these years....that the barrel band actually has a legitimate use now. How's that for thinking ahead.

Actually there is a takedown screw on the forward portion and one on the back. That barrel band still doesn't do anything, other than to have a handly place to put a sling mount.

Edited by Garufa

Even though I have a couple of semiauto .22 rifles, I have been kind of wanting a 10/22 - for no, good reason.

Even though I have no real need for one, I have kind fo been wanting a take-down .22 - for no, good reason.

That said, I'm not paying $300 or more for a 10/22 even if it does come apart in the middle. Of course, maybe that is because I don't have a real use for it, I just want it - for no, good reason.

Anyone catch the MSRP? I looked but must have missed it. Another gun for my list as well.

Ruger site: $389

The same stainless model that doesn't break down is $299

'Course street is much less. The basic wood or polymer carbine is $277 and they're $199 or less most of the time.

But even though Capbyrd reported the two sold for $319 shipped, I'd expect the price on the new break down to stay high for a while in general.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Walnut will rot. Blued steel will rust. This is marketed as a brush gun or woods gun. Something that you don't mind having out in the rain and whatnot. Seems a little thought would have answered your question before you asked it.

If you take care of your guns they dont rot or rust. Polymer and stainless is for people who dont respect their weapons. Where are all the rotted out stocks on mosins?

If you take care of your guns they dont rot or rust. Polymer and stainless is for people who dont respect their weapons. Where are all the rotted out stocks on mosins?

I generally prefer wood/blued as well. However, polymer and stainless in a take down rifle are probably for people who want to be able to break the rifle down to put into a backpack to take camping, hiking and so on. As such, the rifle might be exposed to varying degrees of moisture and might not even be near a cleaning kit for a week or more at a time. Also, I'd say that polymer and stainless in a take down rifle are probably also for people who want to break it down to put in a duffel bag, etc. to keep in their car or truck, just in case, for emergency uses. As such, polymer and stainless are going to be much less prone to being scratched up, rusting and so on. Therefore, for the intended uses of a take down rifle, polymer and stainless make sense, to me.

I generally prefer wood/blued as well. However, polymer and stainless in a take down rifle are probably for people who want to be able to break the rifle down to put into a backpack to take camping, hiking and so on. As such, the rifle might be exposed to varying degrees of moisture and might not even be near a cleaning kit for a week or more at a time. Also, I'd say that polymer and stainless in a take down rifle are probably also for people who want to break it down to put in a duffel bag, etc. to keep in their car or truck, just in case, for emergency uses. As such, polymer and stainless are going to be much less prone to being scratched up, rusting and so on. Therefore, for the intended uses of a take down rifle, polymer and stainless make sense, to me.

We have a winna.

I couldn't help myself and got one today. Having had nearly every type of 10/22 available I like this one. I am wondering why they made it with a 18.5" barrel and not 16". In any case, as I did on my latest Papoose, I will likely install Tech Sights. Later I will install a Volquartsen hammer and Volquartsen extractor.

I'm not a big 10/22 fan, but I gotta get one of these. Looks like it'd make a good hiking toy, without the bulk of the Henry survival rifle (or whatever they are calling the AR7 these days), and without the "Oh crap I dinged it" factor of the browning.

Bill's outpost had one for $319 today. Thought about getting it but decided to leave it for Ohshoot.

Well somebody needs to go buy it before mine arrives next week so I don't feel like such an ass for ordering one online. :lol:

Bill's outpost had one for $319 today. Thought about getting it but decided to leave it for Ohshoot.

Thanks bro, and it is tempting, just 'cause I am indeed somewhat of a Rugerite.

But my heavy duty hiking days are over, likely even during The Meltdown.

Besides, I'm thinking about something probably even more unnecessary.

neoscarbine1.jpg

Looks like I'll get to handle one anyway since Garufa is getting one. :) Perhaps the contagion will spread, though.

- OS

I'm beginning to think you don't understand the purpose of anything. haha. This is a great option for a truck gun or woods gun. It takes up less space than a standard carbine because of the break down.

Now, I didn't bring mine home yet, its in layaway but I got to fondle it a good bit. The bag is a pretty decent quality. The adjustment collar is very well designed, you won't ever have to worry about slop.

The barrel looks to be a standard barrel with a longer, skinnier shank. The receiver has what looks like a removable collar. You can remove that and the v block and run it in a standard type carbine configuration. I think its well engineered overall.

That you could put it fully inside a backpack would seem to be numero uno to me.

- OS

Same appeal as the Kel Tec Sub 2000 I suppose. I guess I just don't ever see myself stuffing a 10/22 in a backpack and going "into the wild" or anywhere for that matter. If SHTF I'm taking my 870.

This would be really cool if they did it with a more potent caliber. A light weight take down Mini 14 would be neat.

Same appeal as the Kel Tec Sub 2000 I suppose. I guess I just don't ever see myself stuffing a 10/22 in a backpack and going "into the wild" or anywhere for that matter. If SHTF I'm taking my 870.

This would be really cool if they did it with a more potent caliber. A light weight take down Mini 14 would be neat.

Or an AR carbine, whick is already a takedown gun.