TN HCP Instructor vs NRA Pistol Instructor

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Torrin

so what your saying is the NRA class is not qualification enough and does not represent a handgun safety class to get your handgun permit in TN. Then what is it for???

One of this things is not like the other. NRA certification allows you to teach NRA classes as a certified instructor. HCP certification allows you to be accredited to grant certificates for HCP classes. It is like being a defensive driving instructor (NRA), then asking why you cannot be a drivers license examiner. Different jobs, different classifications.

so i could give the NRA handgun instructor course which would allow people to go and get there certification to go get there certificate to give the HCP class?

No.

Lets keep it really simple. These 2 things are totally unrelated. Its like getting job training to weld and applying for a job to solder. They both use heated metal to join things, but are not really all that similar in other regards! Unless you know something I do not, there isnt a requirement for the HCP instructor to be NRA certified (right?). He just needs to be state certified.

Edited by Jonnin

no you have to be to take an instructors test to get the HCP cert from the state is what the DOS told me

Did the DOS tell you specifically it was an NRA course, and which one? It could be the case. In that case, do what they tell you, they would know. I thought it was a state sponsored class and not at all tied to the NRA (to maximize revenue from the program) but who knows.

http://www.tn.gov/safety/handgun/school.shtml is all I found.

http://www.tn.gov/sos/rules/1340/1340-02/1340-02-03.pdf has what you need, I think.

Edited by Jonnin

FRom the pdf

1. Approved instructor training courses include, but are not limited to, those instructed by

the National Rifle Association (NRA), National Sheriff’s Association (NSA),

International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP), Police Officers Standards of

Training (POST), Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) International Practical

Shooting Confederation (IPSC) and others approved by the Department.

NRA Instructors are much better than state instructors in general (I'm certified as both so I feel like I can give my opinion from both sides).....the NRA instructors that teach the advanced courses are noticably better instructors.....we have heve certain standards we have to meet and so many hours of training we are required to have to be certififed by the NRA....I've had students take the HCP course and then take my NRA Basic Pistol course and said they got WAY more info from my NRA class than from the state course....NRA course goes into a lot more specifics/topics than the TN HCP course IMHO.

First, look at the above post from Jonnin, which is a quote from the TN.GOV Handgun web site which identifies the agencies from which the Tennessee Department of Safety will accept instructor credentials. I'm an NRA Certified Instructor in rifle, pistol, shotgun, home firearms safety, personal protection inside the home (and RSO), and a Tennessee State Certified Handgun Course Instructor.

In order to be certified as a TN Handgun Instructor an individual has to hold a current certification from the NRA (no specific specialty is indicated, just an NRA Certified Instructor of some kind), or one of the other listed agencies. Tennessee has no class, training or specific exam for their State instructors to complete in order to qualify as a TN Certified Instructor. AFTER you have your credentials for one of the listed agencies (such as the NRA), you print off an instructor application from the TN.GOV web site, attach a copy of your certification credentials and any other background documents you wish to send, and mail those documents along with a check for $25 to the Tennessee Department of Safety. In my experience, in about two weeks you will receive a FedEx envelope with your Tennessee Certified Firearms Instructor certificate.

Having reviewed the Tennessee Handgun Course curriculum, it appears they copied most of it from the NRA Basic Pistol course, changed the firing range qualification somewhat to meet their requirements, and cover all the legal aspects of carrying a firearm in public by providing a DVD copy of the video to the certified school (which can be seen on the TN.GOV Handgun web site); thus relieving the on-scene instructors of the problems and liability associated with teaching the legal aspects of carrying.

If you haven't completed an NRA instructor certification yet, I'd suggest you complete the NRA Basic Pistol qualification, but I believe any NRA instructor certification will qualify.

• 2 weeks later...

I was certified an NRA rifle, pistol, shotgun safety instructor in the past but havent't kept up with the payments to stay current. I still have my certificate and card tho. Can I get my carry permit with this or do I still have to take the state course?

Guest bkelm18

I was certified an NRA rifle, pistol, shotgun safety instructor in the past but havent't kept up with the payments to stay current. I still have my certificate and card tho. Can I get my carry permit with this or do I still have to take the state course?

Call the DoS. They'd know. :)

Pretty sure you'll still have to take the course...

These are the exceptions to taking the course in the law...

An applicant shall not be required to comply with the firing range and classroom hours requirements of this subsection (e) if the applicant submits proof to the department that within five (5) years from the date the application for a handgun carry permit is filed the applicant has:

• Been certified by the peace officer standards and training commission
  • Successfully completed training at the law enforcement training academy
  • Successfully completed the firearms training course required for armed security guard/officer registration, pursuant to § 62-35-118(B)
  • Successfully completed all handgun training of not less than four (4) hours as required by any branch of the military

From 39-17-1351(e) http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/tncode/