Ticks

Guest Brent1973

Guest Brent1973

ok thanks for all the help.. I just sprayed my whole yard with bug-b-gone to see if this helps. I live on 10 acres with 125 acres of wood all around my land. The house is right in the center of the 10 acres . I only keep up about 20 feet around the house and rest is just brush. 2 times a year i run a bush hog but that's it. GREAT for hunting but sucks for bugs/mice...

Walmart should carry it almost everywhere this time of year. Has orange can and blue lid.

Also....make sure when you do your laundry not to let your cat sleep on your clothes treated with the stuff. Believe it or not it can make them really, really sick.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest RobThatsMe

TICK WARNING,

I hate it when people forward bogus warnings, and I have even done it

myself a couple times unintentionally...but this one is real, and it's

important. So please send this warning to everyone on your e-mail list.

If someone comes to your front door saying they are checking for ticks

due to the warm weather and asks you to take your clothes off and dance

around with your arms up, DO NOT DO IT!! THIS IS A SCAM!! They only want

to see you naked.

I wish I'd gotten this yesterday. I feel so stupid......

TICK WARNING,

to see you naked.

Count me in as a victim too. I feel so horrible. The gentleman seemed so genuine, like he was really concerned for me. He said the pics were for research only. I feel so dirty.

Brad

Count me in as a victim too. I feel so horrible. The gentleman seemed so genuine, like he was really concerned for me. He said the pics were for research only. I feel so dirty.

Brad

Well, if it's any consolation, you didn't smell so good, either. And I tricked you twice - there wasn't any film in the camera! :P

JK!!!!!! :rofl:

Years ago I had some property logged. I asked the logger how he kept the bugs off him. He said he put a dab of diesel fuel on each shoulder, shirt cuff, and pant cuff. I gave it a try and it worked quite well. And cheap. A pint of diesel lasts a long time if that's all you use it for. Sometimes simple is good.

Well, if it's any consolation, you didn't smell so good, either. And I tricked you twice - there wasn't any film in the camera! :P

JK!!!!!! :rofl:

LOL! At least I told everyone you were a gentleman! :rofl:

I rarely have a problem with ticks. Grew up in the sticks and been in the woods my whole life and rarely find one crawling on me, much less dug in. This last Fall I took my 9 yr old son squirrel hunting on opening day. We hunted from 2PM til dark. My hunting land is about 30-45min from home and I think we went thru a drive thru to boot. We got home around 9PM. I was about to get in my shower and my wife got me just before I got in and told me to come help her. I had to hold my son down while my wife took tweezers and pulled well over 200 dug in ticks out of him.

He didn't get Lyme disease but was miserable for a bit scratching. I didn't have a single tick on me.

Brad

TICK WARNING,

to see you naked.

I'll try to remember this when I go to TN SG training next week.

I have had several crawling and one embedded in thigh. The spot he was embedded after removal turned to a red rash. I went to Doctor and he gave me a two week supply of antibotics. He said it was infected and that this would take care of any possible tick infection (Lyme, etc).

Edited by lshel

I have been in the woods turkey hunting every single weekend since the youth hunt in March. 1 dead tick on my daughter's sock is all I have seen. Every trip to the woods has been while wearing the clothes I dipped in permethrin. This makes the second year of turkey season being tick free. I can't tell you how many previous year I have spent scratching my ankles raw from seed tick bites. I am a believer in permethrin, more than ever, now. For me, it's worth the effort. I don't want lymes disease. I don't want another staph infection from a tick bite.

Guess ticks just don't like me much - I've only found one crawling on me so far this year (and that was after I'd gone to bed - damn dogs!) and none imbedded. Other than a fondness for garlic, I don't really do anything any differently. Heck I can't even remember the last time I used bug juice.

I've found maybe 20-30 this year. But my odds are much higher than average. Permenone on the clothes does make a noticeable difference, the OFF on top of that and chances of finding one embedded are much less.

I don't feel like this year is worse than recent past but I know population varies throughout regions.

I do believe that some people are more likely to attract certain pests. I have no scientific proof but I rarely get bit by chiggers even when others near me get covered. I must taste bitter like my persona

Edited by Lumber_Jack