TICKS! - Permethrin options - updated

I can testify that Avon SSS kills Mosquitos. I was wondering if anyone uses Gold Bond Medicated Powder, especially as a chigger repellent. It seems to work for me. Hard to prove the effectiveness since I don't know for sure if I'm walking thru chiggers or not. But I'll keep using it, 'cause I really hate Chiggers. 

Put some on and come sit outside my back yard fence, in the shady area.  I can guarantee chiggers.

• Like 1

I have some of the store bought Permethrin and noticed ( after spraying it) that it isn't good for being around cats. If you have cats around the house, keep them indoors and or away from the area you are spraying at and do not let them near it until your sprayed articles are dry.

I have one cat and noticed she was acting funny ( even just being around a small ammount of it).

Wear light colored clothing when youre outside if possible. Mosquitoes are attracted to dark colors and the carbondioxide we breathe out.

I have some of the store bought Permethrin and noticed ( after spraying it) that it isn't good for being around cats. If you have cats around the house, keep them indoors and or away from the area you are spraying at and do not let them near it until your sprayed articles are dry.

I have one cat and noticed she was acting funny ( even just being around a small ammount of it).

Wear light colored clothing when youre outside if possible. Mosquitoes are attracted to dark colors and the carbondioxide we breathe out.

Permethrin is highly toxic to cats.  I get my permethrin from work.  I typically make up a fairly strong emulsion @ around 5%, and I spray it all over my clothes, exposed skin, and hair whenever I work in the woods. 

I do not own any cats, so I use the same emulsion to spray around my house to kill all the insects that wanna come in my house.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I know this is from last year, but if all this danged snow melts I plan on being in the turkey woods and will try these out. I have to tell a story about several years ago a buddy and me went bass fishing and he never loads the boat back onto the trailer without a light and he had given me some skin so soft cause the skeeters were tearing us a new one. Well when I got home my wife smelled the sss and asked "well did you get any"? I said hey baby you need to get some of that from your Avon lady cause the skeeters won't touch you. It was our first experience with sss, danged suspicious women!!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Fantastic post Whiskey!! FYI: Lyme disease is no joke. I put a passanger on one of my flights, 28yr old woman with a hubby and 5 yr old son. She was unable to walk, get herself to the bathroom etc due to lyme disease. Please take this seriously if you are outdoors as much as most of us are.

I guess I should update my experience in the last year.

I still have not seen any cats have the typical permethrin toxicity (tremors and seizures) from Seresto collars, but I have seen some have topical reactions (excessive itching).  So the Seresto collar goes against my conventional wisdom of avoiding permethrin products on cats, so far.  It works really good for fleas.

I have used Bravecto since last year, which is an oral product that kills fleas for three months and most species of ticks for three months (one tick species is only labeled for 8 weeks).  Nexgard is an oral drug in the same drug class that kills fleas and ticks for 1 month (haven't actually used it yet, but based on the data, I see no reason why it would not work).

My family & I have been wearing bandanas treated with permethrin (Bug Shield) lately & they have definitely made a difference in keeping mosquitos away, but I highly suggest taking lots of B vitamins (B1, B6, B complex) for ticks. I used to get eaten alive by ticks, especially those horrible seed ticks, but I started upping my B intake during tick season a few years ago & haven't had a tick bite in 6 years. That's saying a lot since I'm also a volunteer Boy Scout leader & I camp & hike often. I used to sprinkle garlic on my socks, which does work, but then you have clothes & shoes that smell like garlic. IMHO the extra B intake is a good alternative.

Edited by luvmyberetta

My family & I have been wearing bandanas treated with permethrin (Bug Shield) lately & they have definitely made a difference in keeping mosquitos away, but I highly suggest taking lots of B vitamins (B1, B6, B complex) for ticks. I used to get eaten alive by ticks, especially those horrible seed ticks, but I started upping my B intake during tick season a few years ago & haven't had a tick bite in 6 years. That's saying a lot since I'm also a volunteer Boy Scout leader & I camp & hike often. I used to sprinkle garlic on my socks, which does work, but then you have clothes & shoes that smell like garlic. IMHO the extra B intake is a good alternative.

Good info there, buddy. I take high does of B-complex for several reasons. I had noticed that I haven't gotten a tick bite recently, although my dog has picked up a few.

Mosquitos...I swear they hear me come thru the doo and lay in wait until I can't get away. The newer Off and Cutter sprays work pretty well for me when I'm outside; but I sweat so heavily I have to re-spray in a couple of hours.

• 6 months later...

to confirm, once it dries is it OK to have it around cats? Not laying around where they can sleep on it or whatever but on my boots by the door and on clothes hanging up in the same room?

Generally speaking, yes.  It seems to be most problematic when it is wet and can be ingested.  When I tell people to use permethrin sprays in the house, I recommend doing one room at a time so that it can dry and then be a place the cats can go while the next room is being treated.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I know this is obvious...BUT WEAR GLOVES when spraying permethrin.

I was putting some on my boots and it ran onto my fingers. I IMMEDIATELY washed my hands with orange hand cleaner... I could still feel it tingling for several days.  Nasty stuff.

That said, yesterday I accidentally shot an arrow about 10 feet into the tree line in my back yard.  I walked straight through the shortest brush (a little above ankle high....picked it up and walked straight out.  I had two ticks on my legs that fast.

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

Newbie from VA that joined to discuss the "permethrin solution"...may stay awhile as I found other interesting topics as well.

I have a question...Sawyer used to sell a "permethrin soak" which was a 6 oz bottle of 0.5% solution that you poured into a bag.  Then you would fill the 6 oz bottle twice with water and add that to the bag (effectively giving you 18 oz of 0.17% solution).  Add an outfit (pants, shirt, socks) and let the solution soak in.  I suspect you need 18 oz of fluid to completely saturate the clothing.

Whiskey appears to be doing the same with his dip process - but he is dipping at 3x the strength...the identical strength as the spray that Sawyer still sells.

If I was to mix the Martin's 10% concentrate 19:1 (to get a pure 0.5% solution) and opted to soak an outfit in a bag, would you suggest following the Sawyer approach (6 oz 0.5% solution + 12 oz water) or use 18 oz of the 0.5% solution?

This is on my mind as my wife and I recently brought back 30 ticks from a Blue Ridge Mountain hike.  That cannot happen again.

Snakebit12 (aka John)

• 2 months later...

Hey guys - any idea how this is for hunting?  Thinking specifically for coyote later this season.  Do they smell it strongly?  If so, any alternatives that they wouldn't catch as easy?

I've recently become aware of the rare tick disease which prevents you from eating meat *ever* again without a severe reaction.  NO THX

• 5 months later...
Hey guys - any idea how this is for hunting?  Thinking specifically for coyote later this season.  Do they smell it strongly?  If so, any alternatives that they wouldn't catch as easy?
I've recently become aware of the rare tick disease which prevents you from eating meat *ever* again without a severe reaction.  NO THX

Sorry, late response, but it has no odor after it drys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • 2 months later...

so just running across this thread and I have a question.   Whiskey I see that you're dipping outer layer and underlayer of clothing?  So skin contact is ok as long as it's dry?  I'll be ordering my materials to make up a batch of this stuff this week.

Thanks

so just running across this thread and I have a question.   Whiskey I see that you're dipping outer layer and underlayer of clothing?  So skin contact is ok as long as it's dry?  I'll be ordering my materials to make up a batch of this stuff this week.

Thanks

Yes, once it's dry it's safe for skin contact. Actually, permethrin is a cure for scabies at some dilution. Just an interesting fact.

• 8 months later...

Just wanted to update and say that I am still using Martin’s permethrin and I am still alive. Also, I have switched from dipping my clothes, to using a pump up garden sprayer. It wastes less and lets me touch the clothes up easier half way through season.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, whiskey said:

Just wanted to update and say that I am still using Martin’s permethrin and I am still alive. Also, I have switched from dipping my clothes, to using a pump up garden sprayer. It wastes less and lets me touch the clothes up easier half way through season.

I want to thank you for posting this so many years ago. 

We still dip our clothes and I haven't had a tick latch on to me in years.  No ill effects to us or our clothes.

Last year while backpacking in Montana, we were surrounded by a cloud of mosquitoes (literally) and neither of us had a single bite.

I want to thank you for posting this so many years ago. 
We still dip our clothes and I haven't had a tick latch on to me in years.  No ill effects to us or our clothes.
Last year while backpacking in Montana, we were surrounded by a cloud of mosquitoes (literally) and neither of us had a single bite.

Good to hear! Glad it’s been helpful. I did get bit 2 summers back, but it was in my backyard. I’m still bite free when wearing treated clothes too.

• Like 1