TICKS! - Permethrin options - updated

At the risk of showing my ignorance, I'll ask a stupid question:  Obviously once the treated article of clothing is washed the dip must be applied once again?

What's your thoughts on treating a face cover and then breathing in through the treated fabric?  Any fear of what might be inhaled?

25 minutes ago, billyblazes said:

At the risk of showing my ignorance, I'll ask a stupid question:  Obviously once the treated article of clothing is washed the dip must be applied once again?

No.  Treated clothes are good for several washings.  I forget the exact amount but I think it is like 6 washings. 

25 minutes ago, billyblazes said:

What's your thoughts on treating a face cover and then breathing in through the treated fabric?  Any fear of what might be inhaled?

I have done this with my turkey mesh facemasks.  Once the permethrin dries it supposed to be fine.  I do not know if they have done any long term studies so I can't say for sure but I hate ticks so I still do use it.

• Like 2

I've strolled by this thread for years and never thought of reading in. I for some reason have chiggers on the outside bad this year. With two kids that like the outdoors I was at my wits end with getting rid of these pests. Porch and driveway were awful as well as the outside of the house along the crawl space. I've got a gallon pump sprayer but for the life of me can't seem to figure the ratio. Any help would be fantastic. The last few cool days have backed them off but heat is coming back shortly.

This isn't computing in my brain for some reason: From Amazon;

• For initial clean up of severe insect infestation, dilute at a rate of (1) part concentrate in 19 parts water (6.7 ounces per gallon) (0.5%). For normal infestations dilute (1) part concentrate in 100 parts water (1.33 ounces per gallon of water)

1 Gallon Sprayer

Severe infestations: Put about 80% of a cup in sprayer and then fill with water.

Normal infestations: Put about 2.7 tablespoons in sprayer and then fill with water.

Edited by hughd
SP
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, hughd said:

1 Gallon Sprayer

Severe infestations: Put about 80% of a cup in sprayer and then fill with water.

Normal infestations: Put about 2.7 tablespoons in sprayer and then fill with water.

First time I've hit these little red bugs with something that made them quit moving. All quiet around here for the time being. Not having pets or kids that lick brick and concrete, that gallon covered the driveway, porch and bricked crawl space (outside) with a few drops left over. Dried long before little foot traffic was on it. 

I'm happy this topic came back up. Last year if I walked passed the woods I'd have chiggers and a tick or two on me.  This year all is well, even though we have spent the last three days down IN the woods. We've been clearing underbrush and cutting some paths.
The difference, I hope, is she made a mixture of lemongrass oil, eucalyptus oil and apple cider vinegar and sprays me from head to foot.  No chemicals and no ticks or chiggers. Although I smell like salad.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Ticks season is way more dangerous than it used to be for me. My brother got bit by the Lone Star tick. It has a white dot on it's back. It carries "Alpha Gal" . If you get bit by it you have a high chance of getting Alpha Gal. This will make your body allergic to mammal meat. That means no more beef , pork , and on and on . All my bother can eat now is birds , fish , and reptiles as far as meat goes. He has to carry an EPI Pen with him in case he eats something with mammal meat or something cooked with mammal broth like beef broth. No more burgers , bacon , ham , steaks , hotdogs ,,,,. So be careful cause it's out there along with Lyme disease and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.

• Wow 1
53 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

REI now carries a premixed Permethrin spray for anyone who doesn’t want to roll their own.  

https://www.rei.com/product/768970/sawyer-permethrin-pump-spray-24-oz

I also learned recently that a tick needs to be attached for a couple of days in order to transfer Lyme bacteria.  That’s a significant window to allow for fully checking yourself.  

Walmart usually has that spray as well. And yes, checking yourself and/or your kids daily minimizes risk.  

We've got a scout camping trip coming up. This is a good reminder to treat shoes and such again. 

Thanks for all the very good information guys. We have an overgrown hillside on our property that is a prime growth area for ticks and skeeters. I'm not able to cut it myself, and have had no luck in getting someone to do it.

So we spray ourselves when going out. Keep our dog protected as well as we can, and just keep checking ourselves for ticks and other bites

• 2 years later...

I walked into the woods today, and came out with three of the nasty buggers on me! Argh, I hate ticks. Fortunately, I found them before they attached, but my skin's crawling even after a triple-scrub shower. And I had sprayed myself pretty liberally with OFF, too. 

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...