DPMS AR at walmart

gkamer

I just saw a DPMS ar15 At Rockwood walmart for $582. It is a flat top OR. Are they fairly decent AR's? May stop by tommorow when i have a little more time and check it out. May end up getting it, Was looking for a MP15 sport but they are scarce now.

Years ago the rule was get an AR that was A B C or D. Armalite, bush,aster, colt or DPMS. I recommend a DPMS at any price less than 800.

There are more than a few good options in the 800-1200 range. DPMS is not one of them. Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense, and LMT are a few.

What kind of round counts, and how hard were they run?

I only ask due to the fact thtat I've seen more than a few of thier rilfes go down hard due to improperly cut chambers and out of spec parts.

My advice is to save your money and buy a good known quantity rifle.

Mike

Edited by Mike
Guest A10thunderbolt

My DPMS has performed flawlessly. As well I haven't abused it but I haven't been to gentle either.

Sent from my SCH-R880 using Tapatalk

Personally, I would save my money and buy a higher quality AR. I'm not saying the DPMS rifles are garbage, I just tend to buy higher quality stuff in general. That goes for TV's, electronics, and just about anything else I buy.

If that's all the money I had to spend, I wouldn't hesitate to buy that AR. For the price you'd be paying, you could probably buy it, take it to the range, then sell it for what you had into it. I can't say I've ever seen anyone sell an AR, even a used DPMS, for less than $600.

I will say the DPMS is okay for a LOT of people. BECAUSE, a LOT of people don't shoot their rifle. BY "don't shoot" I mean less than a 1K or so a year. For many of us...well...I'd pitch mine in the river if I couldn't shoot any more than that.

I'd say the DPMS would hang in there quite well for a few thousand. Past the five K mark I dunno. I put better than 5k down a Spikes upper the first year I had it. It's 4 years old not and will still lay them in there.

Just dont buy a Bushmaster no matter what, I have bought 2 Bushmasters in my life, a AR15 a few years back something happened to its bolt carrier 29 rounds into the first mag causing it to be sent back to the factory the day I got it, and today I took out my BRAND NEW $2200 Bushmaster enhanced ACR and its a broke POS as well, charging handle reciprocates and after you fire a round it wont fully seat the new round in the chamber so it has to be sent back to the factory immediately as well.

I have owned several DPMS rifles and they have always worked great for me. I shoot 300-500 rounds a week during summer months and none of my DPMS rifles have ever had a hickup,and Im talking TRAINING not target practice.

Edited by ~48_South~
Guest bkelm18

None of the "elite" manufacturers make a $600 AR that is as good as the DPMS. Ponder that for a minute....

Pretty sure S&W makes an AR in the same price range.

Yeah you can spend more and buy better. But for $600 i'd buy the thing and try it out. My bet is if you don't like it you can sell it for $800 during the election panic.

Yea, totally. I mean, ####ing your buddy in times of need is practically an American tradition. :usa:

For only a couple hundred more, you can ensure that you get a good rifle. If you happen not to like it later, a Colt will uphold a good 95%+ of its value. If you want to go a cheaper route, buy a lower and upper separately to avoid the FET.

Guest RCLARK

Pretty sure S&W makes an AR in the same price range.

Yeah, I think the sport is in that range....but you'll get the same argument from the "elitist"...no ejector port cover...no forward assist....molded trigger guard. Thats "not really a AR".... :pleased: God knows I take that trigger guard off and use that forward assist every time I shoot. :stir:

I have no problem with either.

Not everyne has an extra grand sitting around so I think this would be a great sub $600 AR. There are better ones for more but this is probably the best prebuilt you can get for that money. DPMS builds decent stuff, I have had 2 including a sportical. I would pick one up at that price play with it for a while to see if the AR is for you and then resell it for $500. At $500 even the gunsnobs would think about picking that up you will sell it same day for that price. You could also go out and get a PCF lower and swap out the lower and charge 750 like the one I saw on here 3 weeks ago and then you could sell the other lower for 250 like the one that is currently on another site. You would have 700 invested and sell it all for 1000 and go out and get a "better" rifle. I love reading the AR discussions because it seems like most people have the opinion that if you don't buy the best then there is no need for having one. I think that getting the best you can for your budget is the best gun.

• Like 1

I just went to Walmart here in Hermitage and they had the DPMS Sportical $587, Wyndham Weaponry AR15 5.56 with flash suppressor/standard M4 setup for $799 and the Sig 556 piston neutered with no flash suppressor, but didn't have a price. Then they had your hunting rifles and such.

Edited by k9wh91984

i don't know the specs of the walmart dpms but my dpms lower has done great for me. I know DPMS rifles in the past (over 10 years ago) had problems with the lowers cracking due to the manufacturing process. But now they seem to have good quality and no issues. The price on dpms is in the lower end and for the price it doesn't have a lot of competitors besides the cheaper bushmasters etc. My only advice is to look at the barrel and see if it has the twist rate you want. If you see the specs the better guns have receivers made from aluminum 7075-t6, dpms is mainly milspec so I wouldn't worry too much about the rest. As for the finish wearing out you can always cerakote down the road if it bothers you. There are some areas on the rifle that the finish will wear out no matter which manufacturer/finish you choose.