DPMS AR at walmart

gkamer

I have owned a few DPMS and had no issues. For the average shooter it will get the job done. Sounds like a great price for a starter.

As I didn't have the knowledge a years ago to build an AR, I found the DPMS met my needs well.

Edited by tnhawk

Same thing to me as DPMS, etc etc

Stag is a better gun than DPMS. I have never heard of a problem or compalaint with a Stag. I am sure they are out there but not in the same percentage as DPMS.

If I were going to spend the $600 on a DPMS I would save and spend $650 on s S&W M&P Sport. You will get a gun that is leaps and bounds above DPMS. And other than the ejection port cover and forward assist it is much better than most guns costing hundreds more. I would pick a Sport over anything else in the under $1,100 category including Colt. The 5R rifling in the barrel makes for a better barrel than all but a few HIGH end guns. It is better than any conventionally rifled barrel. Google 5R rifling and see for yourself. The Melonite treatment of the barrel is better than any chrome lined and phosphate coated barrel. It is definitely more durable and more corrosion resistant. And finally, the 8 twist rate is perfect because it will shoot anything that can be fed from a magazine. 9 twist will not stabilize 80 grain bullets and 7 twist will blow 40 grain bullets apart with centrifugal force. The 8 twist barrel will fire both wieghts just fine as well as anything in between.

It is a much better gun than the cost implies. Find another AR with a 5R barrel, melonite treatment as well as a hardened bolt and price it. It will likely cost you twice what the Sport costs.

Dolomite

Stag is a better gun than DPMS. I have never heard of a problem or compalaint with a Stag. I am sure they are out there but not in the same percentage as DPMS.

If I were going to spend the $600 on a DPMS I would save and spend $650 on s S&W M&P Sport. You will get a gun that is leaps and bounds above DPMS. And other than the ejection port cover and forward assist it is much better than most guns costing hundreds more. I would pick a Sport over anything else in the under $1,100 category including Colt. The 5R rifling in the barrel makes for a better barrel than all but a few HIGH end guns. It is better than any conventionally rifled barrel. Google 5R rifling and see for yourself. The Melonite treatment of the barrel is better than any chrome lined and phosphate coated barrel. It is definitely more durable and more corrosion resistant. And finally, the 8 twist rate is perfect because it will shoot anything that can be fed from a magazine. 9 twist will not stabilize 80 grain bullets and 7 twist will blow 40 grain bullets apart with centrifugal force. The 8 twist barrel will fire both wieghts just fine as well as anything in between.

It is a much better gun than the cost implies. Find another AR with a 5R barrel, melonite treatment as well as a hardened bolt and price it. It will likely cost you twice what the Sport costs.

Dolomite

Dolomite,

Sounds like you live by the mp15 I sure wish I could find one. They sound great.

I don't even own one but I have looked very closely at the specs as well as inspected every aspect of them very, very closely. I have looked and probably a dozen of them since they first came on my radar. And until that time I had discounted them as a budget AR to compete with DPMS's cheap crap and they do that as well as compete with guns costing hundreds more. S&W makes quality guns and has for a very, very long time. They are not gonig to risk their reputation on building a piece of junk no matter how cheap it might be.

People love to hate cheap things no matter how good they are. A good example is those cheap UTG, NcStar (insert any other cheap maker) clamp on quad rails. For years people said they wouldn't last because they are lightweight pieces of junk, then after they began lasting people said they wouldn't last under hard abuse. Then when they began lasting under hard use haters began to say they were too heavy. Haters are going to hate no matter what and so far the few I have had are still holding up. One one gun we had over 6,000 HARD lived rounds fired and that cheap clamp on rail is no worse for wear other than some scratches. And recently there has been a MAJOR manufacturer that is making an exact copy of the cheap rail except charging 2x-3x as much. And that manufacturer is no doubt bringing them in from China.

Now I will say there is a need for high end quality stuff but not all cheap stuff is total junk either. I have heard for years that anything Chinese is junk but a lot of the industrial machines coming into the country today are from China.

Dolomite

Guest RCLARK

People love to hate cheap things no matter how good they are. A good example is those cheap UTG, NcStar (insert any other cheap maker) clamp on quad rails. For years people said they wouldn't last because they are lightweight pieces of junk, then after they began lasting people said they wouldn't last under hard abuse. Then when they began lasting under hard use haters began to say they were too heavy. Haters are going to hate no matter what and so far the few I have had are still holding up.

+1

I just bought a Hyundai Sonata. I guess I could have saved my money and for an extra 6 or 7 grand had a Maxima....or even for another 20 grand bought a Mercedez. Just didnt see the point. The "cheap" car met my needs, had a great warranty, had all the features I will use....and as it turns out is a great car.

Guest Darthlaidher

I don't know about DPMS but for the haters of the BM, their quality has gone up. I suspect the lack of QC back in the 06-09 range was due to the transitioning to the Remington plant, which is where they are made. If you look at the new BM their quality has gone up, proper staked gas keys,carbine buffer,m4 feed ramps, black crano ring. No staking on the castle nut though but that can be done by yourself in 5 minutes. My BM has performed flawlessly, so I think Remington has it under control now.

Guest ricks

hope you got the sport from palmettos. they had 20 or so in stock but when I checked when I got back in town a few days later to place the order they were sold out. Let me know if you find any other 5.56 sports out there or in LGS in the TriCities :/

Guest jkintn

hope you got the sport from palmettos. they had 20 or so in stock but when I checked when I got back in town a few days later to place the order they were sold out. Let me know if you find any other 5.56 sports out there or in LGS in the TriCities :/

Saw them on Bud's online this afternoon...lasted about 20 minutes. Price had increased from $622 (last price) to $649.