Mosin Nagant Modifications

I was thinking today about what would make a ridiculous but inexpensive build/project. I have decided to make a detachable magazine Nagant, fed from PSL/Dragunov magazines. Along with that I would also like to shorten the barrel some. Any thoughts or comments?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Broomhead

Rather than trying to make the Mosin accept other mags, just make up a couple of mags that would fit/work in conjuction with the built-in mag?

Otherwise, go for the rest of the project, I'm curious to see what you come up with.

Well having it feed from a magazine I did know before hand that the PSL was double stack. My thoughts were to basically cut the existing mag well off and build in a receiver for the mag. One of those "Oberez?" pistols would be pretty cool. This is also one of those projects that I came up with after not having any real sleep this week. It's also just so I can see it it's possible to do. Honestly there is no purpose for it.

Rather than trying to make the Mosin accept other mags, just make up a couple of mags that would fit/work in conjuction with the built-in mag?

Otherwise, go for the rest of the project, I'm curious to see what you come up with.

I might also go this route, but I want to try something already made.

Garufa and Caster, you are correct, but I want to try it. The first step though is to get hold of a PSL magazine and see what kind of spacing I have to work with. Though now that I think about it I could use SVT-40 magazines. Those are single-stack correct? Problem is finding those.

Edited by gjohnsoniv
Similar to this...? m27_trnch_mag.jpg If I happened across a cheap 91/30 with a bad bore and/or really crappy wood, I'd make one of these... mosin_pistol.jpeg

OK NFA guys, what do you have to do to make the one on the bottom legal or can you? Since it just has a pistol grip it's not a SBR, right? Can you get a stamp to convert a rifle to a pistol? If so what stamp is that, is that an AOW? I'm trying to learn NFA rules but I'm not an attorney so it's a little difficult, but I'm trying.

As long as it doesn't have a stock it's a pistol. I think, but don't quote me, that all you have to do is cut it down and that's that. You might have to register it as a pistol though. I think we are all trying to learn the NFA rules anyway... :confused: I know I am at least, they confuse me.

Edited by gjohnsoniv

Heck just make it belt fed

I thought about that in the shower this morning, lol. Feed it via PKM belts?

I'm starting to think that I just want to build the world's ugliest rifle. Chop it down, put a rail on it, slap on an AK front sight, muzzle brake, red dot, back up iron sight...

Edited by gjohnsoniv

OK NFA guys, what do you have to do to make the one on the bottom legal or can you? Since it just has a pistol grip it's not a SBR, right? Can you get a stamp to convert a rifle to a pistol? If so what stamp is that, is that an AOW? I'm trying to learn NFA rules but I'm not an attorney so it's a little difficult, but I'm trying.

No NFA involvement necessary as far as I'm aware. It's just pistol. A really loud, fire breathing pistol. :)

• 1 month later...
Guest kingarmory

Rifle can go to pistol but pistol can't go to rifle without the tax stamp.

Incorrect, actually the opposite is true. To convert a Mosin-Nagant to an "Obrez" you'd have to pay the $200 NFA tax and register it as an SBR. Even though it doesn't have a buttstock it would be considered an SBR by the BATF because it started as a rifle. If you had a virgin Mosin receiver that had never been installed in a stock then you could make a pistol, but I doubt you'll find a virgin receiver anywhere and you'd better have good paperwork/proof confirming that it was never a rifle.

Guest kingarmory

That is why you're seeing a lot of the AR pistols on the market nowadays marked "PISTOL" on the receiver. I know its retarded, but the BATF is in the business of taxing, regulating, and in most cases creating retardation.

That is why you're seeing a lot of the AR pistols on the market nowadays marked "PISTOL" on the receiver. I know its retarded, but the BATF is in the business of taxing, regulating, and in most cases creating retardation.

Seems I was wrong. A little googling has confirmed the above. Retarded, but true. :yuck: