New Classifieds

Where can a non-benefactor place a giveaway ad now?

Can't, near as I can tell.

Only "Want to Buy" is still live in the old Trading Post and there's not a GiveAway in new classifieds period.

Edited by OhShoot
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Until the Classifieds software is overhauled such to allow us to grant permissions to certain user groups in certain Classifieds categories, you won't be able to do that in the Classifieds section. I will re-open the forum for it.

Guest Broomhead

The Classifieds do look great! Thanks for the hard work David! They are very easy to navigate, now that I've read this, and easier to see what is actually for sale.

• Administrator
I'm having a problem with the classifieds and the mobile skin. I can't seem to find any option to contact the seller. Also it doesn't display the sellers screen name.

The lack of seller name has already been reported as a feature request by another IPB customer. I've lodged a request for the contact tab.

I think you did a great job on the new classifieds section. The only downside I have seen, which is totally my fault, is responding to all the messages from listing multiple items for sale. It has wore me out, and I won't make that mistake again.

Guest ThunderCat

First I want to apologize if this has been asked before, is there a way to put a location on the classified listing? I used to look at where the member was located at but now, I have to look at the ad and click on the seller info to see where they are. Thanks.

First I want to apologize if this has been asked before, is there a way to put a location on the classified listing? I used to look at where the member was located at but now, I have to look at the ad and click on the seller info to see where they are. Thanks.

When I posted some items for sale last week, it asked me for the location. Look under the "Features" tab.

Edited by mav
Guest ThunderCat

Thanks for the info. What I'm wanting to know is if I someone posts something for sale, how do I know where they are located? Right now, I have to open the ad, click on the seller, and look at their location. It seems their would be a better way.....

• Administrator

Thanks for the info. What I'm wanting to know is if I someone posts something for sale, how do I know where they are located? Right now, I have to open the ad, click on the seller, and look at their location. It seems their would be a better way.....

Under the Features tab in a listing.

Right now, I have to open the ad, click on the seller, and look at their location. It seems their would be a better way.....

As David said, open the ad, click on Features, look at their location. Much better ... oh wait ;)

Seriously, I agree with ya -- location not showing right off the bat is the only real drawback I've found in the new classifieds. Indeed, location is such an elemental consideration of any classifieds system it's hard to believe that feature was overlooked by the creators.

- OS

• 3 weeks later...

No, but they shouldn't be necessary with this system either. The reason why so many valid threads got pushed down the list when we were using the forums themselves to do the Trading Post is because there was so much off-topic chatter going on in the threads that kept some of the pushed to the top.

The Classifieds system is sort of the great equalizer in that sense. The off-topic remarks are curtailed, legitimate questions can be asked on the Questions tab of each ad, and the overall value of the system goes way up as the signal-to-noise ratio improves. I can't tell you how many people complained almost daily via the report this post feature about people ruining Trading Post threads with dumb commentary.

Not saying all commentary is dumb, just saying the really dumb remarks made people unhappy.

I've never felt that commentary hurt. One would think that people coming to a forum probably expect a forum. They don't expect having to learn how to use some new, strange system. With this new system, items are now listed for sale and then lost into the hundreds of pages of mixed sold and unsold merchandise amongst sellers who frequent the forums and those who throw up an ad and disappear for a month having sold their items long ago.

I would think, if anything, that public conversation helped the benefactor community getthings sold. It kept the classifieds posts relevant, up to date, gauged interest, and showed potential buyers a progress of sale.

I do have to give credit where credit is due when I say that the new classifieds system is definitely much more appealing and easier to navigate for a buyer. However, I don't believe it helps paid benefactors sell anything. In fact, I'm starting to feel that paid benefactor membership is losing its value with this new system.

That's just my $0.02 and I understand that it's not going to change anytime soon. I'm just voicing my opinion on the matter. I want the old system back.

I too miss the old version. I now have to remember to look at the classifieds. I much prefer just looking at the new content which use to include any new classifieds. I guess I am just lazy, but I like convinence. I think the old version was just more convinent to me.

I would think, if anything, that public conversation helped the benefactor community getthings sold. It kept the classifieds posts relevant, up to date, gauged interest, and showed potential buyers a progress of sale.

Yeah, I believe the conversations absolutely helped the sales and that the new classifieds feel too sterile.

• Administrator

How is it you feel that the new system is hurting Benefactors from being able to sell? It keeps a lot of of the BS out of the threads. It has absolutely ELIMINATED (since you like bold letters) all of the thread crapping from people who want to jump into a For Sale thread and post about how the item is overpriced, or not exactly what they want, or if it was $100 cheaper they'd buy it, etc.

I see that as a major plus.

Unless you were into that sort of thing, it appears that it's much, much better to me.

• Administrator

Tell you what... let's open it for a vote. I'll let the poll run for the next 30 days. If enough people say they miss the old way, we'll go back and the money and time and effort spent on the new classifieds will just be a loss.

• Administrator

Poll Here: http://www.tngunowne...-do-we-keep-it/

And I'm closing this thread. While I appreciate the feedback, there are seriously times when I wonder why I bother with the headaches. Especially with comments to the effect that the Benefactor program is losing it's value.

The Benefactor program keeps TGO online for you to enjoy. If it stops being effective, then this site goes away. The Classifieds are a perk, not the reason why you should support TGO. Support it because you appreciate it being available.