New M&P Shield

Steelharp

I actually saw one today in Chattanooga at Sportsman's Supply for $450. Great looking gun and good sights on it. The grip felt a bit wide front to back for me, like the DB9, and its about as long as Glock 26. I was surprised to see it on a shelf so quickly, I just got the S&W email two days ago announcing it. If I had not purchased a CM9 last Friday I would have picked up the little Shield.

Edited by jitdc

i got one today. $416 out the door. its great. alot better than the regualar m&p9c. about the same except slimmer and the trigger is really improved. the gun shop just got it in. they had to "add" it to thier inventory before they could do anything. it was not even logged in yet. they started shipping wednesday what the guy told me.

I like it. I just wish they would start producing the 3913 again. It's a bargain at that price too.

This is what Glock should have done 12 years ago, a Glock 36 except chambered in 9mm and much lighter and a little slimmer. I would imagine it's as accurate as the double stack M&P's, and while maybe not pocketable, easily holsterable. I don't think 9mm is a great round to pocket, anyhow.

I held and dry fired one yesterday... it's a neat design... I like how slim it is (which makes it easier to conceal) I like the price, and i like the sights... it felt kind of funny in my hand, as i'm used to a thicker glock, and the trigger is a little stiff for my liking (although the pull is smooth and the break seems crisp) the safety is there if you want to use it, but not in the way if you don't want to use it. Seems like a solid built gun and a good design, but for now, I'm sticking with my Glock 26... if anybody wants to know where i held it, private message me, and i'll give you the name, number, and address of the place... that's if they didn't sell it today

I have already touched one at a local gun store. It seems to be more of the same, big for a single stack pocket gun, small and undercap for a subcompact. Nothing stood out about it as good or bad. It seemed high considering its so similar to things like the taurus 709 or beretta nano, which were both about 1 C note less.

I was at Franklin gun shop yesterday they had one in stock,The price tag on it was 499.00 , don't no why there prices are so high I checked it out, thin grips, the slide seem to be as thick as the Glock26. felt nice in my hands,

If gun shops can keep the price down they should sell a bunch of them like williamsburg10 said 416.00 out the door, sign me up for one.

I was at Franklin gun shop yesterday they had one in stock,The price tag on it was 499.00 , don't no why there prices are so high I checked it out, thin grips, the slide seem to be as thick as the Glock26. felt nice in my hands,

If gun shops can keep the price down they should sell a bunch of them like williamsburg10 said 416.00 out the door, sign me up for one.

Franklin Gun Shop isn't know for being competitively priced. Franklin is one of the areas where gun shops can get away with that.

Saw it, held it, I like it... Thin sucker like the Walther PPS... If it can take the APEX trigger its a WIN.... I like the feel of it with the 8rd mag too. S&W was inviting industry reps to test it last week and it held up pretty well in a short-term kinda of way (ie. over 2 days).

• Authorized Vendor

I don't understand why they put a safety on it but I could live with it if it was ambidextrous....being left handed this gun misses the boat for me. The ambi feature is what drew me to M&P's in the first place. I have 4 M&P's but this one won't be added. It's a shame actually...I was looking forward to getting one. :2cents:

Guest bkelm18

I'd be interested to hear if the safety is removable like the other M&Ps. Seems like that is a point of contention for lots of folks.

Guest twpayne75

Anyone know of an LGS in the Knoxville area that has the new M&P?

Coal Creek has them listed for $469.99 :down:

I called Mike Bussell at Mike's Gun Shop (Tazewell store) this evening as me and my wife are both wanting to take a look at one. He said he thought he was going to get some today, but they didn't show up. So he is expecting them tomorrow.

He didn't know exactly how much they were going to sell for. He said he didn't even know what he had paid for them. He asked what they were selling for and I told him I had mainly seen them in the $380 to $400 range. He said that sounded about right.

If they come in tomorrow I will post up my thoughts and the price. (after I decide if I'm getting one or not.) He has a great layaway so even if I don't walk out with one, I will probably have him put one back for me. He is going to call me if/when they come in.

Coal Creek has them listed for $469.99 :down:

I called Mike Bussell at Mike's Gun Shop (Tazewell store) this evening as me and my wife are both wanting to take a look at one. He said he thought he was going to get some today, but they didn't show up. So he is expecting them tomorrow.

He didn't know exactly how much they were going to sell for. He said he didn't even know what he had paid for them. He asked what they were selling for and I told him I had mainly seen them in the $380 to $400 range. He said that sounded about right.

If they come in tomorrow I will post up my thoughts and the price. (after I decide if I'm getting one or not.) He has a great layaway so even if I don't walk out with one, I will probably have him put one back for me. He is going to call me if/when they come in.

So far they've been going for $415 - $425 around Nashville.

Guest twpayne75

I don't understand why they put a safety on it but I could live with it if it was ambidextrous....being left handed this gun misses the boat for me. The ambi feature is what drew me to M&P's in the first place. I have 4 M&P's but this one won't be added. It's a shame actually...I was looking forward to getting one. :2cents:

If you don't like a safety in the first place (I don't either, don't own a pistol with a safety), then just don't use it. That is my plan if I decide to get one. I don't use a slide lock either unless I'm taking one apart and it's part of the takedown. That's one of my attractions to the Beretta Nano was the nonexistant slide lock lever.

Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to use it.

I held one while at D&T Arms today. I wouldn't have a need or desire for a gun of that size.

For one, it's too big for a pocket gun. Secondly, it's too small for me to carry in a holster without that big grip extension, which I cannot stand.

There's no doubt going to be plenty of those who just have to have one, but it would serve no purpose for me.

Edited by TripleDigitRide
Guest bulluck533

I talked to the owner of Bill's Outpost and he said that he would have the 9mm version in either Tuesday or Wednesday this week. He said they would be $399-409 range. I'm interested in holding one first hand.

Guest twpayne75

A trusted friend that's a FFL, at a actual gunship said it will cost him 385 just to get them to his door. I can bet money on his word. So I would guess anything under 415 would be a deal this close to its release.

Different dealers also pay different amounts for the same gun depending on what distributor they order from. And the more they buy, the less they pay. My dealers typical markup for special order is 10%. In stock guns are a little higher. I'm going to say that the general dealer cost is sub $350 on the Shield . I know the dealer cost on a Beretta Nano is $350. I would imagine based on selling price that the Shield is similar if not a little less.

Example: a Glock stocking dealer can buy directly from Glock and get them much cheaper than they can from Davidsons or Ellett Bros. But they will not get them near as quick.

Edited by twpayne75