AR gas system

My question is...with a 16" barrel is there any real advantage to the mid length? I've shot rifle length and carbine length and I can't say I can tell the difference. Is the mid length just the flavor of the month?

I like mid length gas systems as they recoil a little less and when using a suppressor have a little less blow back.

That's the info I'm looking for.

Buying a barrel is the next step. I'm gonna install a low profile gas block and at least an 11" rail. ( I like the looks of the Troy exteme rail ) I can get the same look out of either gas systems, but if the mid length makes it more versatile in some way..... then mid length it is.

When you have a rifle length gas sustem on a 16" barrel it can cause cycling issues. You need a certain amount of barrel length beyond the gas port or a change in post size. There are also muzzle devices that can increase port pressure, suppressors do as well as the Noveske KX3.

There really isn't an advantage to a rifle length system on a 16" barrel. Midlength on a 16" barrel is like having the best of both worlds. Enough gas to be reliable without overgasing the system.

Dolomite

Here is my Sabre mid-length 16" with Troy TRX. Can't say enough about either. The Troy's are slim, light, and I like the modular abilities to add what I want where I want. I personally have always ended up with mid-length systems. I just like the look and percieved benefits.

IMAG0183.jpg

• Like 1

It's probably going to be mid length. Rifle length isn't even an option. I like the weight and pointability of the 16" barrel. Doing an SBR has entered my mind as well, but the thought of the stamp thing just turns me off.

Edited by Howler

When you have a rifle length gas sustem on a 16" barrel it can cause cycling issues. You need a certain amount of barrel length beyond the gas port or a change in post size. There are also muzzle devices that can increase port pressure, suppressors do as well as the Noveske KX3.

There really isn't an advantage to a rifle length system on a 16" barrel. Midlength on a 16" barrel is like having the best of both worlds. Enough gas to be reliable without overgasing the system.

Dolomite

This. You start running into cycling problems even with a mid length gas system on a big bore AR. I'm limited to certain powder burn rates on my .458 SOCOM. Too fast and it won't cycle, even though the faster stuff may be a better load.

Guest 6.8 AR

You'd be hard pressed to find a 16" barrel with anything other than a mid-length gas setup for the aforementioned

reasons. Doesn't mean you can't, but it wouldn't be readily off the shelf. Since I haven't built any with carbine gas,

I don't know the specs off hand, but barrels less than 12" I call it pistol length gas and have built several. Probably

the same as the carbine, I don't know. It's like dolomite said relating to the barrel length after the gas port, and the

muzzle device to play with pressures.

The diameter of the gas port can play with how your gun operates, also. I've not heard of anyone drilling the gas

port out, except on the 6.8. Maybe the blackout is bigger, too. I would suspect the same on those 458 SOCOM's.

I have a friend out in Washington State who sells 6.8 barrels and had to drill out the gas ports on a whole batch

because of customers having cycling issues. He had to change his specs on his next order.

Mid-length is optimal on a 5.56 16" barrel. Tried and true.