New AR owner

dkd83

I have now joined the club. Special thanks to Dolomite for his informative posts (and the persuasive argument he made when I purchased a S&W .38 Bodyguard from him in December).

I finally decided to purchase an AR about a month ago and began researching on TGO. After reading and watching everything I could find on the net I decided on the S&W M&P 15 Sport. Finding one has proven difficult, as everyone on TGO has noted.

Today, my wife and I were out and about and I decided to stop at Gander Mtn. and see what kind of special order they might do for me.

I waited 5 minutes for someone to open up and asked the fellow if they carried the Sport and how I could order one. His reply was "I believe we have one in back that has been on hold for 3-4 weeks. If it is still there I'll bring it out and you can look at it." I answered with, "If it's there I'll buy it." 15-20 minutes later I walked out with the AR and 420 rounds of 5.56.

OTD right at $1000

Thanks to this forum and all the great posts.

Woot! Welcome to the AR club. Now go eliminate some balloons and paper plates. While I have a colt, both of my shooting amigos have the M&P 15 Sport and out of 1000 or so rounds, only once have we incountered an issue, it was when a steel casing became stuck in the barrel. Congrats on finding one!

Glad to see you got one.

You need to get a membership for Norris, if you don't already. It is one of the best ranges in the area. Self policing and a lot of nice people out there.

Dolomite

I have been there. Is it still $25 a year and they give you a key for the gate?

I recently joined myself. I always like handguns and the only long guns I had were for hunting. I couldn't understand why someone would want to shoot one all the time. Well, I got bit myself and bought one last week of February. I bought a lowly DPMS that usually gets made fun of, but I love it. I put 100 rnds of factory thru it and about 2500 reloads in less than 2 months.

They put those little hanging gongs up at Gallatin Gun Club yesterday at 100, 200 and 300 yards. With iron sights I hit the 100 yd gong 42 times in a row. It's SO addictive!

I swore I'd never own a black rifle. Then I swore I'd keep it simlpe and not deck it out. Now I want to put a scope on it and reach out and touch that 300 yd gong and make it a tacticool, Paul Blart Mall Ninja, SHTF, zombie killin' machine. LOL!

Brad

• Like 1

I've wanted a 'combat rifle' for sometime. I was going to go with an M14-style but the price and the weight gave me issues. The changes in the AR/M16 since I was in service piqued my curiosity but I never studied them at all until Dolomite made a sound argument to me. Now I'm looking at red dots and all that other stuff. Next, I'll start reloading. Must be a curse.

I recently joined myself. I always like handguns and the only long guns I had were for hunting. I couldn't understand why someone would want to shoot one all the time. Well, I got bit myself and bought one last week of February. I bought a lowly DPMS that usually gets made fun of, but I love it. I put 100 rnds of factory thru it and about 2500 reloads in less than 2 months.

They put those little hanging gongs up at Gallatin Gun Club yesterday at 100, 200 and 300 yards. With iron sights I hit the 100 yd gong 42 times in a row. It's SO addictive!

I swore I'd never own a black rifle. Then I swore I'd keep it simlpe and not deck it out. Now I want to put a scope on it and reach out and touch that 300 yd gong and make it a tacticool, Paul Blart Mall Ninja, SHTF, zombie killin' machine. LOL!

Brad

That is hilarious!

Guest Victor9er

Congrats! I've been itching to join the AR club myself and I've been looking hard at the S&W's

Its missing a forward assist and dust cover. Also has 5r rifling which is very accurate.

Search for dolomites posts on here for a full write up on them.

Also, I believe the Sport does not have the chromed barrel or chamber.

Congrats! I've been itching to join the AR club myself and I've been looking hard at the S&W's

Also, I believe the Sport does not have the chromed barrel or chamber.

It is melonite treated. That treatment is leaps and bounds above chrome lined. It is more durable and makes for a more accurate gun when compared to chrome lined bores.

Melonite treatment cannot wear off and it doesn't build up. It is a surface and subsurface treatment that makes for a very durable surface finish. It also has an additional benefit of adding lubricity to the surface. And it is more corrosion resistant than most coatings out there.

I would choose Melonite over any other treatment out there.

Dolomite

Brad

You'll surprise yourself, with a little help I bet you can hit the 300 with irons easy.

You'll surprise yourself, with a little help I bet you can hit the 300 with irons easy.

I bought a scope last week and went to the range but they were having a .22 match and I couldn't shoot. Was too busy Sunday after Church.

I wound up putting the scope on and putting BUIS on at a 45 deg. (See, I told ya'll I went full bore Mall ninja :rofl: )

My son has Crossover for Scouts Friday night and we camp at Boxwell. I have a 10AM meeting that morning and as soon as it's over, I'm leaving the office to site the scope in before I pack the camping gear. The range was closed Tue, Wed and Thur of this week.

Brad

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Victor9er

I would love to learn how to set up my carry handle the guy at the range was a eotech snob and down talked my cheapo carry handle irons my budget didn't allow for upgrades

Man, I just saw a video on YouTube the other day that went over that...

can't find it now but I came across this one, see if this helps:

I would love to learn how to set up my carry handle the guy at the range was a eotech snob and down talked my cheapo carry handle irons my budget didn't allow for upgrades

Ok, first I am going to say eotech’s are cool, neat and whiz bang. That being said the one thing I love about the iron is the fact you don’t need batteries for them… so let the haters hate.. Some on here may disagree with me (which hey that’s ok) but I think everyone that owns an AR15 type rifle needs to learn to use the iron sights. In case you should have a failure with you high tech sights you can always fall back..

Anybody who has regularly used an Eotech in a harsh manner will know they crap out all the time. That and the battery life sucks. When overseas I chose irons when all they had was Eotechs to issue. We had them loose zero or just die.

I will say that when you have to use night vision that there is nothing greater than the Eotech.

Dolomite

Guest BillOfRightsFan

What we need is a reactive target range with motorized targets. That is the only true way to hone your zombie killing skills.

A few years ago when I was working for DoD I saw a sniper training facility in, IIRC, Australia that used manikins on Segway bases. They were all computer controlled. There were two dozen civilian targets and a few tango targets. The idea was to work with the spotter to acquire the targets and avoid collateral damage. Sound detection caused the robots to go from wandering about the mock downtown area to scattering. It was amazing.

OK just used my best Google-fu and found video of it: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20002039-1.html