Becoming an outdoors woman?

Does any of the ladies here take part in this?

I had never heard of it until MrsS pm'd me and let me know that there was a event in Knoxville on June 14th at the John Sevier Hunter Education Range in Knoxville. I don't know how much of this pertains to this certain event but I want to find out. I would be interested in ladies self defense for sure.

This is an annual event put together by TWRA and various sponsors. It is open to women 18 and up. It is an opportunity to learn outdoor skills usually associated with hunting and fishing and other outdoor activities.

The cost is $25 and cover morning and afternoon sessions and lunch/snacks; some of the events include introduction to pistols and firearms, ladies self defense, outdoor perils, ATV introduction, among other things.

If any Tennessean lady is interested or a gentleman here who thinks their significant other may be interested, can call Donald Hosse (TWRA) for information/application at 615-781-6541. . It sounds very interesting and I plan to check into it and see if it is something I would like to do.

Here is a link to the TWRA.

http://www.tennessee.gov/twra/outdoorswoman.html

MrsS I may meet ya up there on the 14th.

Edited by Guns&Dobes
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Angel 24/7

Being in middle Tenn. it is to far for me! but, yes I would like to do something like that. Just to say I can do it or know how. To apply it probably not. I am not much of an outdoorsman. I grew up a city girl, I love to shop go to the oxygen bar,stabucks . I married a full out country boy. He has been able to change me some he is still working on that. Opposites attract.

Angel, this org or whatever it is has things all over the state so check the webpage out as there might be something close to you. From what I see so far it looks really neat. My situation is opposite, I am the country girl and my husband is from the city but I am definitely making a country boy out of him.

Edited by Guns&Dobes
Guest Natosha

Mom is it just a one day thing? I was thinking it would be several days. Is it a saturday? I could have Freddy watch Jude. But I wouldn't want to leave him that long with anyone else. :D

Ahhh how sweet, hehehe.

I make Mark happy too by just enjoying shooting. The funny thing is that I really love shooting and who would of thought something I find as enjoyable as this would make him so happy.

Guest Angel 24/7

I try to make him happy. I love to shoot. The fishing thing God help me!!! I would rather be shopping for another Loius Vuitton, Sipping on a Carmel latte from starbucks, going to a movie. Where there is no bugs Or Tennessee humidity.! I do, do it at least 4-5 times a year. There will be no way in hell I will camp out!!!! I do try!

I LOVE to camp and actually Mark does too if it isn't TOO hot LOL. I guess it is miserable if it's humid so I do understand that. I like to go camping in the spring or fall and actually if we don't get to go soon then it will be too hot until fall.

I think I would enjoy fishing if I could get some bites, I have gone before when I lived in WV and I would sit on the banks of the river and freeze and never got much of anything so it kinda turned me off to it.

What I think would be nice is to be able to go on a nice warm day in a boat on a lake and just lounge around and fish, now that sounds like a little bit of Heaven to me and I know if I pulled a nice big catfish in I would probably be totally hooked!

Guest Angel 24/7

I TRY! He has shown me alot about the outdoors. There is somethings I can't do! In my defense every time I ask him to shop All I see is smoke as he is running out the door to get away! I think it is great we are such opposites. We show each other new stuff all the time, even after 12 years.

Guest Natosha

NOW I love camping. I really love it but fishing is another thing entirely! I hate it. Waste of money in my book. Especially since I don't eat fish! HA!

Guest Angel 24/7

Allan is the one in the first pic, on the left. see the damn smile on his face in both pics>? He loves it! I don't understand it but, it makes him happy!

Guest Natosha
Dang that is some big fish in that second picture! What kind of fish is that?

I was wondering the same thing. Are they catfish?

The ones on the left are Hybrid (rockfish & stripe cross) really good eating. the ones on the right are Catfish. My buddy Mike is holding a channel cat that is 35lbs the one i'm holding is a blue cat that is 30lbs. We don't eat much cat, so I have a few freinds that love them as much as I like to fish for them. I give away most all of it.

Guest canynracer

did you catch those freaking beasts with a fishing pole? or were you "noodling"

those effing things are HUGE...being from CA, this still amazes me...I would crap myself if I saw a fish that big! screw the line and pole, hand grenade time!

Nice fish XD! It's a HUGE rush to fight and pull in any fish that big with a fishing pole! I LOVE to fish!!! Absolutely nothing like it! For me it's a good excuse to get outside and relax.....catching a fish is a bonus! :koolaid: I've been a fishing fanatic since I was a kid. I have a small catfish pond basically in my backyard....it's just down the hill from my place. I have an old camper, a picnic table, and a BIG fire ring down there. I love to go down there and start a fire and kick back and relax. My catfish are only about 1-4 lbs. but they're still fun to catch and good eatin' too!

I am also a deer hunter. I haven't hunted since I got pregnant with my son and I miss it! I can't wait to teach Cameron how to hunt. I'm already working on teaching him how to fish. Unfortunately, right now he's more interested in picking flowers and running around than fishing! LOL

Guest Angel 24/7

PackinMama, You have the perfect place. He can go away to fish and relax near the house & I can stay in the house with the A/C.

Natosha, I didn't like fish either, I don't like the wild fishie taste. But the hybrids I like they are not really fishie.

I have a group of people that work for me that love catfish, so that is the excuse for him to try & get the big daddy's.

I just love seeing my sons face when they come home to tell me about it!