Best for the money durable quiet suppressor for .22LR handgun and longgun

I know we don't live in New Zealand or GB, thank goodness, but these US suppressor prices & stamp are really something...sigh....

I would like a lightweight (if possible) durable, cleanable, suppressor to use on .22lr only semiauto pistols and both semi and manual action .22LR rifles. No other calibers.

The only one I have used are friends' YHM Mites and I understand there are much better ones out there. I was thinking Element2 or WarlockII. Can someone tell me where these are in stock? I have some lightweight threaded .22 pistols and don't want a boat anchor on the end of the barrel. I am experimenting with boat anchor handguns in other calibers.

Thanks,

Craig

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mites are the worst. They constantly rank in the bottom 5 of any list. There db is generally 10+ more than the quietest in any list.

I will check my charts when I get home and give you the best.

The BEST as far as cleaning and durability is the stainless Sparrow. It does have a significant first round pop because of the monocore baffle but you will be hard pressed to find an easier to clean suppressor. But because it is stainless it can be easily cleaned. I also wouldn't worry about using suppressor gel for the FRP.

There is a difference between the best rifle and the best pistol suppressors. Pay $25 and become a member of silencer research. They have all you would ever want to know and test everything using milspec standard. This ensures all results are apples to apples. The results are easily searched by all kinds of variables.

I made my own suppressor using all K baffles. K baffles are regarded as the best but are harder to clean than monocores.

Dolomite

AAC Element is the quietest take apart stainless can on a pistol.

Elite Iron Echo "L" is the next quietest take apart stainless can on a pistol.

SWR Spectre is the next quietest take apart stainless can on a pistol.

The Elite Iron is the least expensive of the bunch.

Coastal Passport is the quietest take apart aluminum can on a pistol.

AAC Prodigy is the next quietest take apart aluminum can on a pistol.

Silencerco Sparrow is the next quietest take apart aluminum can on a pistol.

Coastal Passport is the least expensive of the bunch.

I do not have data on the stainless Sparrow but it should be similar if not a little better than aluminum.

In my list of over 30 suppressors the Mite is the last on the list. The stainless is the worst on a pistol and the aluminum Mite is the worst on a rifle.

For a rimfire can it must be able to be taken apart and cleaned. It will get extremely dirty and fill up with lead. Now a dirty can silences better than a clean can. But a lead filled can is louder and heavier.

This is why I mentioned the Sparrow. It is as easy as they come to take apart and clean. Most cans will need to be muscled apart after they get dirty but not the Sparrow. The stainless may not be the quietest but ease of cleaning is worth it.

I would also consider stainless a must because it is more durable. Aluminum baffles can and do work harden and crack over time. Another advantage to a stainless can is it can be dipped in hydrogen peroxide. The peroxide eats all the lead out of the can. Peroxide also eats aluminum so that is not an option with aluminum cans. The only down side to dipping is it produces lead acetate, a very dangerous chemical. Most hazmat turn in locations will accept it though. You can also use aluminum oxide to blast stainless but it will eat aluminum over time. You can blast with walnut hulls to prevent the problems.

Think about it, you are more likely to sell your house than your NFA item. So buy the most durable and best you can.

As far as buying one contact the dealer that will be doing the transfer. They can give you the best advice. I do know you can buy your suppressor over the phone. Then you need to have it transferred to your dealer. Then you fill out the paperwork. It can be a a little longer unless you find a dealer that has them in hand.

Dolomite

I have an older GemTech Outback. Last fall I sent it back to GemTech to be upgraded to current specs. I had it back in two weeks, completely cleaned, rebuilt and very quiet! The price was very reasonable including a titanium blast baffle.

GemTech is known for excellent customer service and excellent quality.

I was in your same boat about a year ago. I did almost 6 months of research and went with the AAC Prodigy. It was the best all around option for me as I wanted a lightweight can to put on my pistol AND rifle. I love the thing and it is everything I had hoped for. CCI standard velocity sounds like a pellet rifle and CCI sub-sonics are movie quiet. The cleaning process is a bit more involved than some cans but I can have it taken apart and cleaned in 5 minutes. A little bore butter in the tube and around the seal makes it much easier to clean.

The huge upside is the weight (or lack thereof). On the end of my buckmark pistol it is negligible.

• 1 month later...