I need some P90X input and advice

I got my degree in health and wellness (it was an easy degree for a football player in College) and I don't buy into the HFCS hoopla either but if you stop eating things that have it you will cut down on your sugar intake. There are foods that don't need that much sugar in it but because HFCS is so cheap it is added in everything. We started looking at labels and started buying things that dont have it and I have seen a difference in my weight and my families overall good feeling. I would start with something like cutting your sugar intake down and some light exersize you should see a difference fast. I am not saying that sugar is your problem but if you focus on one thing to cut back on it makes you eat healthier. At 500lbs you are looking at some other benefits of cutting sugars down and loosing weight. Keep us updated weekly so we can be a support group for you, If I don't see an update I will flood you with PM's lol. But seriously find someone that will hold you accountable, and don't look at it like a diet but what you have to do to live longer.

Guest db99wj

I will add my .02, I am on Day 1, week 2 of P90X. I am already a runner and have added mountain biking 4 months ago, I have run many 5k's, 2 half marathons and completed my first Trail sprint Duathlon 3 weeks ago. 3 mile trail run, 6 mile mountain bike trail ride, 1 mile trail run. Diet is ok, not perfect. I'm almost 40. P90X has been tough, but I feel great about it, but like I said it is tough, not easy at all. If you do it or any other program, go at your pace, make it where it is "uncomfortable", but to a point that you don't over do it and hurt yourself trying to keep up with the folks on the screen.

My guess is that you need to drop some weight first before you get into a regimented program. Diet and something like walking to start. (after the Dr's visit). I'm not a fan of the fad diets, like Atkins, or the bean and sprouts diet, or whatever, because it is so up and down for people, but they do work to get some weight off quick and I could see using it as a starting point. Go for a no carb diet like Atkins or one of the other ones, and then, transition to a full program.

I do take issue with saying the programs are gimmicky , they are just a part of the overall wellness and fitness lifestyle. They absolutely work, but you can't count on them for lasting results. Same with any fad diet. They work, until you go back to your old ways. Success will be there if you commit your life, your life style, to healthy fitness habits and healthy diet habits. Using a fad program to get you in the right direction is great, and just need to pick some that are best for you, the long term success is within you, your decision to not go back, your commitment to have that healthy life style.

Any program will fail if you stop doing it. I have been running since 2007, sporadic at best, and was in "decent" shape as far as my legs and lungs were concerned. I dropped some weight, would add it back when I slacked off running. It took several years to get to the point that I feel guilty if I go to long between runs. But I was getting a little bored with it, I bought a mountain bike. That helped a bit too, but I found out that I am weak from the waste up, I thought I had decent upper body strength and it never stopped me from doing anything in the past, but these workouts work you. Still had my gut too, never could get that thing down where I was happy with it. So I started looking at programs, I borrowed P90X 2 weeks ago, started the program a week ago. I didn't realize how weak my core, and upper body was. This thing has kicked my butt. It's a great feeling and I feel like I am accomplishing something. It does suck getting up an hour and a half earlier to do the dang thing.

Personally, I don't think P90X is the program for you at this point. You have a lot of weight on you, the first day is tough on anyone, it will be really tough on large folks, it is Chest and Back, plus Ab Ripper. Lots and lots of push ups and pull ups on a pull up bar or with a band pulling down. I was shaking at the end.

Go to beachbody.com. There are a lot of success stories over there and lots of good advice as well.

Beachbody.com also has regular folks that are coaches, yes they get compensated for different products they sell, but it is what it is. You can sign up for the beachbody.com website for free, or pay the membership for additional benefits. I chose the free version.

So, go to the Dr.

Get the diet in order with the idea of a quick diet program then transitioning to a long term healthy diet plan

Add some exercises to your plan, walking, aerobic, other

Once you are in this process, look to adding a specific program like Power 90, or other beginner program, then onto P90X, or other more intense program.

You recognizing your issues, your desire to improve your situation is your first win of this whole deal. You got to start somewhere! Be proud that you have made this decision. Now it is time to move forward.

Edited by db99wj
Guest db99wj

I also just want to emphasis in a separate post so that it doesn't get lost, that it is better that you are doing something, then nothing. If you do a program like P90X, just do what YOU can do, don't worry about how many or how much the guy or girl is doing on the video. Here's a real life persons transformation that might help you and give you some ideas on what you could do. Notice that the 90 days is really an 18 month transformation. The program lasts 90 days, the lifestyle is for a lifetime.

Be dedicated and take it slow. My biggest problem with p90x was that I thought I could do more than I actually could. This proved for very sore muscles and I would end up missing the next workout.

Also remember that people who have lost large amounts of weight didn't do it in 90 days. Most did 3-4 90day periods.

I say do it, an get an accountability friend. Someone to call when you feel like eating junk food. Or who will ask you if you've done your workouts that week.

I wouldn't hesitate to hire a personal trainer to get a good start. Someone to push you to do the diet and exercise but will also tailor it to your physical capabilities.

Either way Just Do It. Your family will thank you for not dying.

I will add my .02, I am on Day 1, week 2 of P90X. I am already a runner and have added mountain biking 4 months ago, I have run many 5k's, 2 half marathons and completed my first Trail sprint Duathlon 3 weeks ago. 3 mile trail run, 6 mile mountain bike trail ride, 1 mile trail run. Diet is ok, not perfect. I'm almost 40. P90X has been tough, but I feel great about it, but like I said it is tough, not easy at all. If you do it or any other program, go at your pace, make it where it is "uncomfortable", but to a point that you don't over do it and hurt yourself trying to keep up with the folks on the screen.

You did the Wolfman? It was a blast!

I'll agree with those who have stated that diet is the most important aspect to consider.

Check out the paleo/primal approaches to eating. The focus is more on quality than quantity (you aren't weighing/measuring EVERYTHING you put in your body) and largely aims to cut out excess sugar.

Yes I did! 1:12!Did you?

Yes it was my first mountain bike Du. What a blast. 1:07. I placed 3 in my age group. I had on the Coast Guard jersey. I did the Los Locos the next week and got 2nd in my age group. They just get tougher the older I get.

Guest db99wj

Yes it was my first mountain bike Du. What a blast. 1:07. I placed 3 in my age group. I had on the Coast Guard jersey. I did the Los Locos the next week and got 2nd in my age group. They just get tougher the older I get.

This was my first multi-sport event. I just picked up mountain biking a in February! I would have been in at about 1:10, but had a small incident on the last wood section. Hit a tree with my inside pedal (actually my foot padded the impact) and went over the handlebars. Dang near ripped off part of my big toenail, and I pulled (ligaments/tendons) in 3 toes! It was a lot of fun. Didn't do the Los Locos one. Will be doing more in the future.

This was my first multi-sport event. I just picked up mountain biking a in February! I would have been in at about 1:10, but had a small incident on the last wood section. Hit a tree with my inside pedal (actually my foot padded the impact) and went over the handlebars. Dang near ripped off part of my big toenail, and I pulled (ligaments/tendons) in 3 toes! It was a lot of fun. Didn't do the Los Locos one. Will be doing more in the future.

Yea there was some treacherous places on that trail. I had one area where a branch caught in my helmet and almost dismounted me. I know what it feels like to joust. Let me know what your next event is. Maybe we can meet up. I will be doing the Navy Nautical in June.

Guest President Fernatt

I've lost 85 pounds since October. The answer is the age-old response you always hear; "diet and exercise"...you just have to force yourself to do it.

I'll tell you though from my experience, and some P90X fanatics will disagree, that program is STRICTLY for people who are already in shape that just want to get into better shape. Sure, there are exceptions but VERY few.

The best thing? What I've done: walk at least 4 days per week, 2 miles per day. Up the mileage as your ability allows and then begin to jog. I highly suggest you buy the book, "Run Your Butt Off". Yes, it sounds feminine but it's not! It has great tips and helps you build up from walking to running.

Also, diet is nothing without exercise and exercise is nothing without diet. If you don't do them both together and consistently then you will fail. Don't weigh very often either as it can be very discouraging and weight fluctuates greatly. Weigh in the morning, once a week, before eating or drinking anything and after using the restroom.

The key to my success has also been "phentermine". It's an appetite killer that you get from your doctor or a weight loss management center. It's great! Message me if you need any further info about weight-loss as I'm on the journey now and have been for a while. Good luck & be blessed!

I'll agree with those who have stated that diet is the most important aspect to consider.

Check out the paleo/primal approaches to eating. The focus is more on quality than quantity (you aren't weighing/measuring EVERYTHING you put in your body) and largely aims to cut out excess sugar.

I love this "diet" I have loosened up a little on it after 3 mo. I feel so much better and have lost 15% of my body weight in 5mo and now I don't even notice the difference in food choices. I did not notice a HUGE weightloss fast but I lost it in a safe way and do not see myself gaining it back because I actually like what i am eating and was dumbfounded by the suguar content in food, so this will be a lifestyle change for me and my family. My daughter is the only one of the kids her age that does not have candy daily and the other parents comment how behaved she is and healthy she looks.

You need a team. This will be a life-changing for the better, long term project. Your team should include a doctor, nutritionist, and a personal trainer. I have a doctor in mind, but let me ask my friends for suggestions first. Some of my friends have done P90X. I think it's too much too fast right now. Plus, you need to learn EXACTLY how to do the workouts or you risk significant injury, especially at your weight. You would also benefit from working out with a group with similar goals.

Last Tuesday, I saw a training group of about 50 people at Franklin High Track on their first "Couch Potato to 5k" training walk. You need to get involved with a group like this to give you the motivation and the accountability to do some workouts that you might not enjoy on your own. Most of the group walked the half mile. Only a few ran it. There were some large people. By the end of summer, all will finish a 5k run/walk... about 3.1 miles. Walking is a good workout for you right now.

Most people have no clue about healthy eating. You'll have to find what works for you. You should cut out all sugars and avoid artificial sweeteners, except stevia. Avoid all fried foods. Reduce breads or eliminate them as much as possible. Figure out what you're eating a lot of and stop eating it... period. It will probably be something like potato chips. Once you break the addiction or about 30 days later, you can add a moderate amount back to your diet, if you really miss it.

I'm a lifelong runner and work out at the YMCA about 2x per week. I cycle in warm weather. My wife is a wellness director. I have a circle of friends who are health fanatics, so I can probably help you find some of the resources you need. Good luck.

Edited by jgradyc
  • Like 1

Lots of good responses here.

As for me, I've lost ~40lb and no longer have diabetic level blood sugar readings. I started eating a Paleo/Primal Blueprint style diet in December. Weight has simply disappeared and I have tons more energy to get things done.

I find the diet quite simple and easy to follow. The fact my "bad" cholesterol and blood pressure have decreased despite eating more red meat annoys my doctor to no end though. :D

Whichever approach you choose, I wish you all the best on your road to health.

Guest jmoe816

I am on day 67 out of 90 on POWER 90. It is the precursor to P90X. It is much more suitable for beginners like me. So far, I have lost ~12lbs. I have not been following the diet plan, but have been eating better overall. My big difference comes in my overall increased strength and conditioning. Good luck to you!