Opinions on Kel-tec

Guest adurbin

i got one p40, two p11, one pf9, one p3at, and one p32. all were used except the p3at. pick them up from peoples that were fed up with kel tec guns. to me they are one of the best low priced gun going. the p40, p11's, and p32 did not give me any problems. the pf9 and p3at i had to do some work to make them run. i don't mind working on them, they are not hard to work on and the parts from kel tec are free. you break a part, call kel tec and they mail the part to you free. all you got to do is put the part in. not hard and there are two good kel tec forums that can show you all you need to know.

KelTecs are best as a tinkerer's gun. If you go to KTOG forum, you'll find tons of advice on how to polish the feed ramp, improve the trigger pull, and fix other minor flaws. You'll also learn about the most likely problems and how to fix them or prevent them from occuring. If you wife likes it and it works fine when you get it back, keep it. The only think I didn't like about mine was the heavy, long trigger pull, but that was pretty easy to fix with the instructions from KTOG. It's not a Kahr or a XD9, but you already know that. The KelTec P11 is lightweight, easy to work on, and parts are cheap... usually free.

The biggest worry with the P11 and the other KelTecs is limp-wristing (holding the gun too loosely in the hands when firing) that results in jamming. You can learn the proper form for holding a KelTec at KTOG... Kel Tec Owners Group. This is really important with KelTecs.... really important.

I have a P-32 that I've been carrying as a BUG for a couple of years now. I put a couple of mags through it about once a month to be sure nothing's wrong. I don't have a single complaint about mine. In fact, I liked it enough to put a Crimson Trace Laserguard on it. They ain't cheap, so that's a decent sized commitment I wouldn't have made if I didn't trust the gun.

I have a p-32 bought from another forum member here.

So far I really like it, very light weight, no issues with the admittedly low round count so far.

They really do seem hit or miss but so are kahrs costing three times as much.

The most common gripe I've read is folks taking their new gun to the range experiencing some form of failure and promptly condemning the gun, model of gun, and manufacture as complete crap.

IMO, you probably know best for your self. If you are a guy who demands only the best, maybe kel tec wouldn't be the right choice for you. If your a gambling man or tinkerer they may be just the ticket. So in conclusion, I like mine ymmv.

Im not enjoying our P3AT. The first round of each mag seams like it wants to jam as you rack it. Ive changed up ammo between fmj and hp and all the same. We only have just over 100 rds through it and Im gonna give it a couple more boxes before I decide what Im going to do.

Mine's a little stiff on the first round in the mag too. It doesn't malfunction, just feels kinda stiff. Gotta sling-shot the slide.

Guest jdcjr

I bought a PF-9 and has a few FTE issues with it. I did the fluff and buff, changed a few parts and made sure it was properly lubed and it ran well after that. But from everything I read and from experiance it is a 50/50 risk of it performing out of the box. Like someone else mentioned. If you want to take the time to "fine tune it" and figure out what ammo it likes best, it will work.

Mine's a little stiff on the first round in the mag too. It doesn't malfunction, just feels kinda stiff. Gotta sling-shot the slide.

Thats what I do with the slide. I never feal comfortable with it but it always fires away.

I've had the same KT32 Hardchrome for some years without a failure. I've done the Golden Loki fluff and buff on a number of KTs for friends: http://goldenloki.com/gunsmith/keltec/fullrp.htm

I'm a fan of Keltec R&D but own only the KT32 and that will like be the only one I own. I have owned others. After doing some online research on the company it seems that KT runs various models and then changes the assembly line to run others. When they have a run they evenly distribute their production to their various dealers, up to 30 I read. If this is true and who knows about what you read online, then production issues could pop up every time they reset a line for a particular model run. I worked on the line in a couple of factories that made complex products and this doesn't seem to be an effective way to maintain QC. I was a buildup man for the R&D lab in one factory. Maybe more modern machining provides a greater degree of flexibility than what I experienced in my younger days.

It appears than rather expand and incur debt and lose control George Kelgren of Keltec (and formerly of Grendel) has elected to stay small (reputed to be the 2d or 3rd largest firearm manufacturer in the US) with some 30 employees.

I like their ideas and like the fact that my little sub 7oz (unloaded) .32acp always works with ball ammo. I carry it a lot. If Ruger made a .32 LCP like their .380 I would probably get the Ruger. With a modified P11 trigger shoe on my P32 it has found itself a useful self-defense niche with me. I've "had" two PF9s. They were 100% in function but I hated shooting them. I find the Diamondback DB9 a better-for-me pocket 9mm.

Craig

Both my Dad and I have owned PF9's neither of us are particularly thrilled with them. Me especially being a left handed shooter the gun would be more effective thrown at the bad guy. Especially now with the Kahr CM9 being in the same price range (give or take 100$), I don't see why you'd go for the PF9. With that said however, I think the P3AT's are pretty quality for a BUG or for a bug-out bag gun. And frankly, I'd give a kidney for a KSG.

I have a P3AT. Bought it brand new as a first generation and it never worked very well. Eventually sent it back to the factory and they rebuilt it as a second generation gun - from the work order they sent back with it, I think the only 'original' part they kept was the frame. Since then it has been flawless and I really like it for its intended purpose. I also don't think they are nearly as difficult to shoot well as some people find them to be. That said, I now have a 642 that fills much of the P3AT's previous role (I just prefer revolvers) but there are still some times and certain carry methods where the P3AT fits better.

I had a P11 that eventually started having problems. It was used when I bought it, though, and I think the problems were that it was simply getting worn. Kel Tec fixed it but I came to realize that - with my body type and style of carry - I can conceal a Ruger P95 as easily with the same carry method. I shoot the P95 much more accurately and better plus it has a higher capacity so I traded the P11 off. The P11 uses a different trigger system than the P32, P3AT and PF9. The trigger on my P32 - while still a DAO - is much better than the trigger on my P11 was, IMO.

Edited by JAB
Guest jmoe816

I have a PF9. The first time I show it a bullet got stuck in the barrel. Their customer service was great, they sent me a new gun with a polished barrel. I have had quite a few failure to extracts though, even using their recommended type ammo. I personally am not a fan of the weapon and plan on trading it on on a new Sig P938. Their customer service was great though.

Only have the Sub2000. The stock pin ain't supposed to come all the way out of it, but it did, and lost the retainer plunger and spring under it, and the front sight broke in two for no apparent reason.

But minor quibbles, gun still was functional, really do like the thing, very innovative company, but does seem in dark ages when it comes to production.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

The consensus seems to be that they are "hit & miss", but it seems to me that all the pocket autos are hit and miss, even the Kahrs and Sigs that are pricey. I traded away my Ruger LCP because I didn't enjoy shooting it and I realized I can shoot a subcompact Glock much better and their are very few situations where I can't conceal a baby Glock. After it was gone I realized their are certain situations where a light, flat .380 is the only gun I can easily conceal. Unfortunately, I couldn't really find any of the small .380s that I like better. The only ones I would enjoy shooting would be the Sig P230 or the Walther PPK and those weigh nearly as much as my Glock 27. I've also been tempted by the Ruger LCR but, then again, I'm not sure how much I'd carry it since I like the one with the fat rubber grip so it would take up almost as much space in my pocket as my G27. Anyway, I ended up picking up a P3AT instead of another LCP since I found a deal on one with the parkerized slide. For some reason I think the trigger might be a little smoother than the LCP I had and I actually like the rough texture of the grip more than the grip on the LCP. They are ugly and I'm not sure I'd buy a KT for a primary carry. But, for me, it's good enough for an occasional carry.

I had a P-32 which I sold to a fellow TGO member some time ago, it worked just fine. I purchased a P3AT last Oct. and have put 200 rds. through it with no issues. It is not my favorite pistol, but it has a permanent home in my pocket, usually as a back up to my .38 Smith. Kel-Tec has a good reputation for customer service, and their quality control seems to be getting better.

Guest bulluck533

I've heard nothing but good things about keltec until a read this form, but dont let that get to you. Like the guy said about, some serial numbers of the earlier ones might be bad, but there is only one way to find out for sure if yours is good or not.

I've heard nothing but good things about keltec until a read this form, but dont let that get to you. Like the guy said about, some serial numbers of the earlier ones might be bad, but there is only one way to find out for sure if yours is good or not.

+1 Despite having a little trouble with mine I feel confident that with a little tinkering you could get it squared away.

I've owned, let's see... 4 KelTecs. I've liked them all and regret selling my P11. As I said earlier, they are a bit of a tinkerer's gun. They are super easy to work on and parts are cheap. If the trigger is scratchy or stiff or too heavy, take it apart and fix it. If you look at the parts under a magnifying glass, you can see tiny machining marks where the parts rub together. You just lightly buff them out with a dremel or fine sandpaper following the DIY instructions on KTOG. I shortened the trigger pull in both directions on my P11, lightening the trigger pull, and then increased it a bit when it seemed too light. Then, I polished the trigger [word?] {I can't remember what this part is called] to make the pull smoother and then dremeled it off a bit to get it to release a little sooner. I bought a spare whatever this part was from KelTec for, I think, $15 or so, in case I messed it up, but it worked fine. These are really easy guns to work on. Most guys at the KTOG forum say they "fluff and buff" their KelTecs before even firing them once. Polishing the feed ramp helps prevent jamming. It's super easy to do with a Dremel tool. Please note that I'm not a gunsmith, so you should learn more about this stuff and then make your own decisions.

Oh, one other thing, these little KelTecs will jam if you limp wrist them. You can't just hold the gun lightly in your hand and pull the trigger. It takes a firm grip and a locked wrist. If you don't understand this, look it up on the KTOG forum.

Im not enjoying our P3AT. The first round of each mag seams like it wants to jam as you rack it. Ive changed up ammo between fmj and hp and all the same. We only have just over 100 rds through it and Im gonna give it a couple more boxes before I decide what Im going to do.

Try polishing the feed ramp with a Dremel. While the slide is off, do the fluff and buff to get rid of any machining burrs on the slide. If that doesn't work, send it (and the mag) back to KelTec and let them fix it for you.

love mine. I would and do trust my life to both the P11 and P3AT. No issues with either. Never had a jam with either (1000+ rounds).

The P11 is a very underated gun IMHO. As far as I know, no other 12 round 9mm is comaparable in size or wieght. I put a $10 trigger shoe on it and the trigger is much improved.

Fit and finish is not great, but for A LOT LESS than you would expect, a guy right here in Tennessee will electroless nickle them for you. If they were not so darn reliable, I would put my 2 up as safe queens, cause they sure are purty.

6734627277_fcb8040aaa_z.jpg

6734169387_09e9565dbc_z.jpg

Guest SW9VEman

I love my PF-9. It is my daily carry. About 600 rounds now through it and still not a single problem. Some of my friends say it kicks like a mule, but it does not seem to bother me.