US Springfield 1903 Mark1 Rifle

JeffsSig

I looked at a NEW

US Springfield 1903 Mark1 Rifle today.

This gun was un issued and has never been fired.

I hate to ask but what it the value of one like this?

I may not buy it and if someone here is real interested please PM me and I will get you in touch with the guys who have it.

Edited by JeffsSig

IF it is truly 'new' and not a rebuilt rifle, then it would be worth a lot of money. A LOT of the Mark I rifles have been arsenal overhauled and may look factory new, but are not. A re-arsenalled rifle is worth about $1000. Blue Book says more, but I'm going by what I have seen actually selling at auction and shows lately.

Original Mark I rifles should have barrel dates of 1918-1919. There is a lot of information on these rifles on the 'net. After you look around at some of the specialized sites, if you still think that it's really new and not re-arsenalled, contact an expert.

The one on the Cabelas site has a lacquered stock (Ugh), looks re-arsenalled, and is over-priced by about 80%. Typical for Cabelas.

I'm pretty skeptical on this one. How do you know it is unissued? The vast majority of Mark I's where put into rotation and mixed & matched with all the other 1903's.

How much do they want for it?

Got any pics?

BTW, the Blue Book is not often grounded in reality when it comes to mil-surps. It's a fluid market, but one thing is for certain, the prices always go up.

Edited by Garufa

I am just going on what this shop is saying.

Ill try and go by and take some images today.

I understand the blue books prices. But I wanted it as a guide only.

I have looked on the net and wasnt able to find much info to tell me what to look for. other than a OG marking?

I know things like this sound to good to be true and I am sure it is But I thought Id check it out seeing it is local.

Looks right from what I can see. If it is in fact 100%, I'd venture to guess it would bring north of $2k, and that's just a guess, as I have nothing to compare it to.

EDIT* Upon further looking, I believe the BA cartouche on the stock means an arsenal rebuild at the Benicia arsenal in California. If so, it still looks like a very nice piece. What's the price?

If it's an RA, it would mean a rebuild at the Raritan arsenal.

http://m1903.com/isstamps.htm

http://m1903.com/rbmarks.htm

Edited by gregintenn

It's hard to tell from the pics but I'm pretty sure that is a replacement stock.

Other than that it looks like a fine example of a WWII rebuild of a 1920 Mark I. Barrel is original.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1

Its a rebuild.

Several clues in the pics. The stock does not have the Mark I cutout relief. The trigger is standard, not a Mark I. The mag cutoff is standard, not a Mark I. Rear sight leaf is a WWII replacement. Safety is a replacement. Finish appears to be the post war gray-green parkerized.

Its been issued, it has been fired...., and there is nothing wrong with that. :up:

NOW - - - As far as the store telling you a lie....... :rant:

The receiver and barrel are original Mark I and correct for each other. It was arsenal rebuilt at Benicia Arsenal, probably prior to WWII. a very nice rifle, but not an unfired Mark I.

As DMark said, it also does not have the original Mark I internal parts.

From the M1903.com website:

"The Mark 1 cutoff has a series of cuts on the inner surface which engage the Pederson device and lock it into the receiver. It works normally when used with the regular bolt. The spindle also has a different profile, and its head will have screwdriver cut at the back end. The Mark 1 sear has a separate inner piece, which moves in the opposite direction of the normal sear, to fire the Pederson device, while the regular sear works as usual with the normal bolt. The trigger is much the same as a normal trigger, but has a slightly different profile (a slight flat at the rear) to work with the Mark 1 sear."

Here is a pic of one of my Mark Is showing the parts we are talking about.

The cutoff has a milled groove in the body and a longer spindle in order to lock the Pedersen Device in place.

The sear has a trip lever and the trigger has a groove milled at the top back where the lever makes contact.

2h5o21h.jpg

Now if I could just find a complete Pedersen Device I'd have a $40,000 to $60,000 rifle! :eek:

Thank you 1gewehr and Dmark for the info.

Thats the info I was trying to find and you guys helped save me some cash.

The shop bought the gun from a individual and he himself opened the crate this and other guns was in.

They are asking 2500$.

Thanks!!!

Guest BroRay

I just joined this forum to learn more about the old military combat rifles. I have been reading some of the comments and you guys seem to know what you are talking about. I would like to buy one one of the old riflles that I can take to the range regularly. I have several Civil War original carbines that are just to look at and admire, and I would never dare shoot one. I have been thinking about looking into buying an original 1903 Springfield or an Mi Garand, but I feel that I need to get smarter about it before I do anything. That "never been issued never fired" 1903 Springfield that you all have figured was probably an issued and fired re-build sure looks like it is in good condition, but what is it really worth? What are some of the things that I should look for in an original issued combat rifle that is in good or excellent condition? I would appreciate any advise or comments from those of you who really know the subject.

BroRay,

Welcome to TGO! :wave:

Here are a few links to some other forums that are full of information on the 03 Springfield and M1 Garand.

http://forums.thecmp.org/

http://www.jouster.com/forums/index.php

http://www.milsurps.com/index.php

"What is it really Worth" is hard to answer. If you are looking for an 03 or 03A3 Springfield to shoot, something in the $500-700 range should get you a good one. Make sure if you Do NOT buy an early Springfield that has a low serial number. Those have single heat treated receivers and are unsafe to shoot. Later 03s have double heat receivers and are S/N 800,000 and higher for Springfield and S/N 286,560 and higher for Rock Island. All 03A3 are double heat treated.

For M1 Garand, visit the Civilian Marksmanship Program to buy. Still this best deal for the money!

http://www.odcmp.com/

To answer all of your other questions......, well that should be a whole new thread. Post them up - - - Trust me, we will all love to discuss them! :up: