Check Out My New (and portable) Water Filtration System

I have been contemplating it for several months and finally pulled the trigger. I think it is pretty much the ultimate portable water filtration system on the market. I bought the Katadyn portable water filter, an in-line charcoal filter (the plastic round black thing on the end of the tube), and a Steripen. The Katadyn filters to 200nm and does not filter out viruses (which are smaller), so I got the Steripen to take care of that. The in-line charcoal filter on the outlet tube is great for making the water taste better, & also removing even more contaminants & sediments. After hours of research, reading reviews, and watching videos I came to the conclusion that this is the most effective system out there. The Katadyn portable water filtration system is rated to filter 13,000 gallons of water, which at one gallon per day would take about 35 years before needing a filter replacement. It is made in Switzerland & also has a life time warranty.

With this system I will be able to make drinkable water from almost any water source. Of course, I have lots of purification tablets and the old boiling method as back-ups just in case. It took a good chunk of change, but I think it is totally worth every penny. You can't survive without water.

DSC_0720.jpg

Edited by Seabeejason

My scout master had one of these he took with us backpacking. How much is this model, if you don't mind my asking?

I got it for $301.25. Total price was $421.00 for everything in the picture.

I just watched a review Scootch00 did on this system, very nice set up.

I am very confident it's going to be dependable. I am taking it on a backpacking trip in the Smokies in a week or so and I will give everyone an update on how well it works in the field once I get back.

Edited by Seabeejason
  • Like 2

I have an older one of that model and it seems very good. It was actually given to me by an uncle in a box of old backpacking gear that I put aside and forgot about. Several years later I got into backpacking, opened the box and realized the treasure inside. I've used it several times. I did recently buy a msr hyperflow, which is what I carry now. I got it because it is quite a bit lighter, but truth be told the katadyn is probably better.

Guest USMC 2013

Very nice, and intelligent, purchase. I'm looking for water purification right now, it is next in my list of priorities for preps.

Joe

I got an older Katadyn but almost equal model for $60 on Amazon

I done quite a bit of research and I think you'd be hard pressed to find an almost equal model to this filter for $60.00. I just now combed through Amazon and did not find anything like this one for that price. All of the ones I seen were just plastic filters. If you did find something comparable for that price then you got one heck of a buy.

Guest Scramasax

Been using a Katadyn for around 20 yrs. Have syphoned sludge through it. The only thing that you have to be aware of is a wet filter freezing and cracking. A cheap charcoal pre-filter and nylon cover is also a good addition.

Cheers,

ts

Been using a Katadyn for around 20 yrs. Have syphoned sludge through it. The only thing that you have to be aware of is a wet filter freezing and cracking. A cheap charcoal pre-filter and nylon cover is also a good addition.

Cheers,

ts

That is the only downside that I could find. It's a silver impregnated ceramic filter, which means you need to be careful with it. You could potentially crack it if you drop it. And then there is the freezing problem, which means you need to dry it out really well if you use it in cold weather. I do not plan to use it in freezing weather though. If I disassemble it in the field I will not have it no more than a foot from the ground and will keep it away from rocks. The casing around the ceramic filter is pretty tough, so I am not extremely worried about it. But I will still be really careful because ceramic filter replacements are about $175.00 each.

• 3 weeks later...

I wish I had the money to spend on a nice pump like that. Since I do some backpacking I spent a lot of time researching lightweight filters. For anyone that doesn't have the cash to spend on a nice setup like this, check out the Sawyer 3-way filter. It's not a pump, but it does filter down to a very small micron.

The Katadyn has carbon filters too, so it makes the water taste better.

i use a katadyn hiker mostly and treat it with chlorine dioxide tabs as well. i prefer the polar pure iodine crystals but i havent seen any of than in a long time.

i also recently got a MSR miox but havent played with it at all yet. seems a bit more complicated than i want but i got it in a package deal awhile back.

• 3 months later...

They just now kicked these things down to $245.00 on Amazon, which is one hell of a buy.

I used mine a couple months ago in the backcountry of the Smoky Mountains. It worked flawlessly. We actually dumped the water out of our Camelbacks and just filtered water out of the rivers. It was great.

Just figured I'd post this for those who want a great water filtration system.

http://www.amazon.com/Katadyn-8013618-Pocket-Water-Microfilter/dp/B0007U00YE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346289367&sr=8-1&keywords=katadyn

Edited by Seabeejason
Guest ThePunisher

I am at a cross roads with Amazon because they want me to update my account with my social security number. So far I refuse to give them my number.