Springfield Trapdoor

Guest RCLARK

Guest RCLARK

I wanted to share these. I took this gun in on trade for a motorcycle several years ago. At the time, I had little interest in "collectible" firearms.....so I sold it to my Uncle. I regretted it pretty much right off. Recently started trying to buy it back from him and FINALLY found a Mini 14 that he was interested in and struck a deal. Its not leaving again....

Now....being a relative noob to these guns.....I know very little about it. I'll be doing some research of my own, but any input you guys have would be appreciated. Enjoy the pics.....and thanks.

042712010.jpg

042712009.jpg

042712012.jpg

042712014.jpg

042712013.jpg

042712011.jpg

042712015.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have always wanted one of these and that looks very nice. Great condition, I mean really, really excellent condition!

If you want to shoot it, use only black powder loads then clean appropriately. It looks sound, there's no reason you shouldn't at least a few times.

Edited by Garufa

There are smokeless loads for that gun, I can't remember but it seems like pressures < 18K PSI. I know my Accurate manual lists "Trapdoor Only" loads. GREAT CARE must be taken though as these are very weak actions when compared to other rifles. Black Dawg makes black powder factory made ammo that will good to go.

You have an earlier trapdoor. It has the early rear sight. After 1880, trapdoors were issued with the "Buffington" sight that was graduated to 1400 yds. Your sight at it's lowest setting was zeroed for about 200 yds if I remember correctly (what was considered battle distance). You may have decent accuracy with the Goex loads or Ten-X brand. A good source for products such as ammo for these old rifles is "Buffalo Arms Co."