Any Knox area Ruger LCP owners?

gnmwilliams

Anyone in the Knoxville/Oak Ridge area own a Ruger LCP that could give me ideas on recoil or shootability for my wife? She's not frail but isn't too fond of my Kahr PM9's recoil so is thinking about an LCP instead. I know there are bigger guns or smaller calibers out there but she specifically needs a small, light pistol that can be invisible when concealed. I can't find one to rent so I'm relying on ya'lls input!

-Edit - Sorry, don't know why I put Knox/Oak Ridge area in this poting. It's not as if LCP owners outside the area can't help either! :)

Edited by gnmwilliams
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have P3AT and have shot a friend's LCP. I'll agree that it's less than a .38 airweight, though I think a lot of that is due to the significant muzzle blast from the revolver. I'd say the recoil is comparable to a mid-sized, polymer 9mm. Somewhere between my PT145 and a G19. I have a Hogue Handall Jr. grip on my P3AT. Big improvement on comfort and recoil.

And yes, it can be invisible.

Edited by peejman

Ive shot the lcp, p3at, and others. The sig p238, while relatively expensive, just has less recoil than the other 380s. I would say the sig is roughly 75-85% of the LCP. I think the LCP and Khar are pretty close, but its been an age since I tried the Khar and that was just a few shots, so it is not clear in my head. It is also IMHO more shootable due to the short trigger pull, but that is subjective.

If she finds the PM9 objectionable, she won't like the LCP either. The PM has as low a perceived recoil for pocket 9's as there is, that's part of its allure.

I actually find the LCP quite a bit nastier: I think it's the fact that about the same type force is contained to affecting smaller surface area on hand, or whatever.

I find 100 through a PM9 painless, 25 through a LCP unpleasant.

- OS

I concur with OS. Carried my LCP for a year before getting the PM9 and loving it. I still carry the LCP from time to time, but the PM9 finds its way to my holster much quicker.

I live fairly close to CCA, so PM me if you'd like to try it or have your wife try it. Been needing an excuse to stop working so many hours and practice some.

It's not the LCP's recoil that's been bothering my wife lately, but her accuracy. She tends to go all over the place when she's aiming for that bull about 10 yards away. I keep telling her that an attacker will probably be much closer than that, plus these mouseguns are not built for comfort but for quick dirty work. Next time we're at the range I'm going to splurge for a full-sized BG picture target, then maybe she'll see that all of her hits have actually been center mass. She's a nurse I'm sure she'll "get the picture."

Guest rebeldrummer

when i was younger (12-13 ish) I used to have the same problem. I would even rest on a bench and everything and still was not too consistent. It was not until I started to get into archery that I learned what was wrong...i am right handed but LEFT EYE DOMINANT!

here is how to tell. stretch your arms out in front of you and form a triangle with your hands (thumb over thumb pointer fingers inward and touching) then look across the room and find something on the wall. place that object in the triangle. close your left eye. is the object there or covered by your other hand? do the same with your right eye.if you close your right eye and the object is still there you / or she is left eye dominant...

now if that is the case 2 things are your next step.

1) learn to shoot lefty (i did this as a backup, always good to have that if your strong arm is taken out of play)

2) adjust your shooting position (right handed) bring your head over more to the right, aim with left eye.

**on youtube, look up Hickok45. Very popular, watch his stance, he is left eye dom but right handed like me.

good luck...hope this helps

I find the recoil snappy and harsh. Especially after about 20 rounds. Academy has Sig P238 for $479, that's what I'd consider. If you want to meet up one night during the week next week I can let you/her shoot it till your hearts content.

Edited by Lumber_Jack

The ex wife Carries an LCP. She hates shooting it due to the "harsh" (to her) recoil, but it fits her carry needs so she practices with it anyway. She thought my Sig P238 was much softer shooting.

I don't find either unpleasant, but the P238 is definitely easier on the hand and easier to shoot accurately.