Backyard Shooting? (Shelby County Area)

Guest IceBreakerG

So much for the Castle Law, Self Defense, or justice! Oh, did I mention that even the charge shows up on background checks and I haven't been able to find a new job!

We don’t have a justice system; we have a legal system. And any one that thinks you are innocent until proven guilty has never been arrested, handcuffed, thrown in jail and had to wait for arraignment or a bond hearing.

I doubt the Feds will have any interest in your case, but good luck anyway.

• 4 years later...

I know I am probably the only member of TGO from Parsons, but here is a link to Parsons Municipal Code.

http://www.mtas.utk.edu/public/municodesweb.nsf/5cde681dbdedc10f8525664000615fc4/a28d9b2efe39f1ce85256c6300633ad6?OpenDocument&Highlight=0,parsons

It has not been updated since it was first put online and I some changes have been made to Title 8

Title 11, Chapter 5 covers firearms.

11-503 says...

Weapons and firearms generally. It shall be unlawful for any
unauthorized person to discharge a firearm within the municipality. (1970 Code, § 10-212, modified)

Apparently you're not even supposed to shoot a BB gun.

11-501

Air rifles, etc. It shall be unlawful for any person in the city to
discharge any air gun, air pistol, air rifle, "BB" gun, or sling shot capable of discharging a metal bullet or pellet, whether propelled by spring, compressed air, expanding gas, explosive, or other force-producing means or method. (1970 Code, § 10-213)

Oh noez, zombie thread.

Uh, anyway. This came up because I was searching about Dickson's code. I was told by the officer running the hunting permit class that even slingshots were technically not legal to use within city limits. And so it proves. Interestingly, Dickson's wording on air rifles is almost word for word identical to Parsons'. However, the weapons and firearms has an exception for hunting (with some caveats regarding safety). So interestingly, if I want to get rid of a pesky squirrel, if I take an air rifle to it, I'm breaking the law but if I break out the heavy artillery, that's fine.

http://www.mtas.tennessee.edu/public/municodesweb.nsf/0/1812090454C50DF78525677E0052C42B/$FILE/DICKSON.t-11.pdf

Politicians.... SMH

He did mention that they've only had a couple of prosecutions on it and one of those was someone who'd been warned several times and had ended up damaging somebody else's property.

Edited by tnguy
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello all, I wasn't really 100% sure where to post this, but since it's a legal questing, I figured it fit. Anyway, I was curious to know if it was legal, illegal, or no written law regarding shooting in my own backyard? I just picked up a suppressor for my Walther P22, and I've already fired about 50 rounds or so over the last 2 days in the backyard (all were into the grass, except the old VCR I just assassinated lol). I live in Cordova in the area still run by the county. So am I breaking the law or am I ok shooting a few rounds out back?

Where you will want to look is for any ordinances pertaining to the discharge of firearms within county property. I know the City of Memphis has an ordinance strickly prohibiting the discharge of any firearm, air rifles included, within the city limits unless its in self defense or at a designated range. The punishment on that, fortunately, is just a city ordinance violation which cannot exceed $50 fine. The problem only comes into play when neighbors start claiming that you are shooting at them, or harrassing them in some manner. Even if its bull shit, if they claim you have been shooting at their property, and then police can show that you have been shooting, now you are in an unwanted uphill battle.

Then of course, I'm sure you've already looked at the safety aspect. Even if the plinking act itself doesn't violate any laws, if you let a round get loose, and it stikes something or someone...now you are looking at a big issue.

• 2 months later...
Guest FreakNasty07

Well please let me know cause I live in Cordova, also and have been shooting in my back yard for quite a while!!! me and my 10 year old with our air rifles, but we are good shots and with my fence you can't tell what we are doing back there unless you come in my yard and I don't think thats going to happen cause we are not that loud so you wouldn't know what we are doing back there in the yard... he's shooting his Daisy Buck and im shooting my Crosman 2100 Classic or 760 Pumpmaster...

• 1 year later...

I found this(old) thread looking for this very answer and I figured commenting on it would be ok since chances are I'm sure it will cure someones curiosity by now. I was pretty certain that I couldn't fire anywhere near Memphis but was a bit more curious when I read that people in St. Petersburgh, Fl. can because that is a tight redidential city, as in most the houses are close together. There's actually a story about a man that built a very rude range in his back yard and the neighbors couldn't do anything about it.

I'll try to find said story, kind of an interesting read. I used to live near there and if I didn't hate how congested and the cost of living, I would probably go back.

I found this(old) thread looking for this very answer and I figured commenting on it would be ok since chances are I'm sure it will cure someones curiosity by now. I was pretty certain that I couldn't fire anywhere near Memphis but was a bit more curious when I read that people in St. Petersburgh, Fl. can because that is a tight redidential city, as in most the houses are close together. There's actually a story about a man that built a very rude range in his back yard and the neighbors couldn't do anything about it.

I'll try to find said story, kind of an interesting read. I used to live near there and if I didn't hate how congested and the cost of living, I would probably go back.

Not the original story but same guy is mentioned:

http://wfla.com/2015/09/16/florida-legislature-considering-measure-to-ban-backyard-gun-ranges/

Doesn't TWRA have a gunrange in Bartlett? Supposed to be fairly priced. The 100 yd rule is under hunting regs, which supercede local ordinances. So you can pop a squirrel or deer during hunting season anywhere that's more than 100 yds from habitated bldgs but can't practice any otherwise. Been adjudicated in Middle Tn.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk
  • 2 weeks later...

The city ordinance here in dickson where I live is "Cannot be discharged in an unsafe manner" Personally with houses around I would say without having some kind of Moderate sized dirt mound or stop to shoot into anyone seeing you could say it's unsafe, and it probably is. Don't wanna go through a window and kill someone. But if you have something, other than a VCR to shoot into I'm sure your city is similar.

Years ago a friend of mine lived off Hwy 96, just outside Dickson city limits.  He received a couple visits from Dickson police but received no citation as he was in County jurisdiction.  However, he decided he didn't want further attention.   Who decides what is an "unsafe manner"?