The Garden Thread

I was cleaning some weeds off of last years tater patch and uncovered a few taters that were sprouting. So I went to the barn and gathered a bucket of taters with eyes and did my first planting in 4 raised beds. I may start tomato, pepper and onion seeds in a few days. FYI, for the last 2 years I have planted and had good harvest of bush green beans. When the first batch slows, pull them out and replant or start another raised bed. We have carrots, bell peppers, yellow squash in the freezer from last years garden plus potatoes in the barn.  I am even considering building about 4 more raised beds. If this covid-19 hangs around for 6 months, those delicious veggies may help our family and the neighbors. Ya'll stay safe and happy gardening.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

we planted some sweet corn in a small garden plot recently. My 3yr old loved helping so much that she niw wants to plant corn every sunny day we get. To keep her occupied, I transitioned her over to planting raisins all over the back yard. Going to get interesting if these things germinate.  

• Haha 2

My wife and boys got our garden planted over the last few days. Just the usual beans, cukes, squash, maters, etc. I spent last night installing chicken wire to (hopefully) keep the rabbits from eating everything.  She had a few extra seedlings that we'll try in pots this year. 

And get this.... my boys think running the little 2-stroke tiller is fun. :D   I'll milk that as long as I can.  

Edited by peejman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chicken wire is an absolute must around here!

I've had to replace my raised beds over the past 2 years. I just added two 4'x8' beds and one 4'x4' bed. I just received my seed order from Johnny's yesterday as well.

We're looking forward to some fresh garden eating.

garden 24 April 2020.jpg

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Jamie Jackson said:

Chicken wire is an absolute must around here!

I've had to replace my raised beds over the past 2 years. I just added two 4'x8' beds and one 4'x4' bed. I just received my seed order from Johnny's yesterday as well.

We're looking forward to some fresh garden eating.

garden 24 April 2020.jpg

Looks great!  Pressure treated 4x6's will last a lot longer than landscape ties. Stone lasts a lot longer than wood. 

• Like 1
On 4/23/2020 at 1:51 PM, peejman said:

My wife and boys got our garden planted over the last few days. Just the usual beans, cukes, squash, maters, etc. I spent last night installing chicken wire to (hopefully) keep the rabbits from eating everything.  She had a few extra seedlings that we'll try in pots this year. 

And get this.... my boys think running the little 2-stroke tiller is fun. :D   I'll milk that as long as I can.  

Young bodies enjoy that thrashing better than us a bit older.

I transplanted some of the purple basil that seeded into the flower beds into trays the other night. That way I can move it to somewhere better to drop seeds this time. lol That stuff spreads like fire.

Wife wants a U shaped raised bed built this year. So I haven't put out anything. From the sounds of what she wants I will spend all summer building it. lol 8 x 12 made out of cedar. ouch...

9 hours ago, A.J. Holst said:

@Jamie Jackson your raised beds look great! Do you lay it out, de-sod the ground level, and fill'er up with your magical mixture?

Thank you AJ.

I've tried the de-sodding before and didn't find it beneficial. I don't even use nails anymore. I've no doubt mentioned it before, but I've found I get about 8 years out of the landscape timbers. Using the T-posts should allow me to simply remove them once they decay and replace them. I had to use a saw-all to cut up the ones I had nailed together a few years ago. PIA.

Because of the depth I haven't had any problems with grass or weeds. My only "magical mixture" is Steve Solomon's COF (Complete Organic Fertilizer) and a bit of manure :)

Pressure treated 4x6's are about $16.00 each at Home Depot whereas the landscape timbers are about $3.00 each. I'll stick with what works for me. I do plan to add another round of landscape timbers to the 4x8 beds next year and add more soil for greater depth...but that's just a plan at this point.

Stone would be nice too. But as it is these beds may outlive me anyway. Tempus Fugit and all that.

Post some pics folks! Always open to new ideas. Especially affordable ones.

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Jamie Jackson said:

Thank you AJ.

I've tried the de-sodding before and didn't find it beneficial. I don't even use nails anymore. I've no doubt mentioned it before, but I've found I get about 8 years out of the landscape timbers. Using the T-posts should allow me to simply remove them once they decay and replace them. I had to use a saw-all to cut up the ones I had nailed together a few years ago. PIA.

Because of the depth I haven't had any problems with grass or weeds. My only "magical mixture" is Steve Solomon's COF (Complete Organic Fertilizer) and a bit of manure :)

Pressure treated 4x6's are about $16.00 each at Home Depot whereas the landscape timbers are about $3.00 each. I'll stick with what works for me. I do plan to add another round of landscape timbers to the 4x8 beds next year and add more soil for greater depth...but that's just a plan at this point.

Stone would be nice too. But as it is these beds may outlive me anyway. Tempus Fugit and all that.

Post some pics folks! Always open to new ideas. Especially affordable ones.

Seems like a multiplication of effort to have so many beds. I've gone to one large bed for all the annuals and a dedicated different spot for the asparagus bed.

Have any of you tried re-growing your plants from the leftovers/cores ?  I have a couple each of celery, romaine lettuce, and sweet potatoes out to see how well they regrow.  I got them to sprout roots prior to planting.  It's a waiting game now to see how well it works.

3 minutes ago, Shorty said:

Have any of you tried re-growing your plants from the leftovers/cores ?  I have a couple each of celery, romaine lettuce, and sweet potatoes out to see how well they regrow.  I got them to sprout roots prior to planting.  It's a waiting game now to see how well it works.

We always have a few veggies appear in the flower beds, usually tomatoes but have had the odd squash and bean plant appear.  We've also got herbs that have spread to various places, most of them are considered weeds anyway.  I leave them be unless they get in the way ... dill can grow 5 ft high. 

14 hours ago, Raoul said:

Seems like a multiplication of effort to have so many beds. I've gone to one large bed for all the annuals and a dedicated different spot for the asparagus bed.

I know the photo doesn't demonstrate it clearly, but there is a fairly significant grade to my little 1/2 acre property, much more so in my front yard, but this is East TN.

The raised beds allow a level area that doesn't flood out nor collect water and debris. The beds are at most 4 feet across and allow easy access without stepping on and compressing the soil. They are very easy to weed and actually have very few weeds, so the maintenance is simple. The height is easy on my aging back as well.

My setup is very simple to mow around and weedeat. When I tore down my older beds, simply spreading the raised dirt out and seeding with a bit of grass returned the areas back into "yard", always a plus if you decide to sell and move.

The "caging" with chicken wire is efficient and from last years photos you can see my tomatoes were easily covered with netting to prevent the birds from enjoying them more than I. ;)

The dedicated herb box keeps those things from taking everything else over. Our rosemary wanted to grow into a small tree before I transplanted into the herb box!

I've had flat 1/4 acre gardens in the past when I lived in the deep south and midwest. If I had known what I know now, I would have gone with raised beds then. Except corn! Corn doesn't do well from me in raised beds LOL.

We each just do what works for us. I happy with my setup, as I'm certain you are with yours. 👍

2 hours ago, Jamie Jackson said:

I know the photo doesn't demonstrate it clearly, but there is a fairly significant grade to my little 1/2 acre property, much more so in my front yard, but this is East TN.

The raised beds allow a level area that doesn't flood out nor collect water and debris. The beds are at most 4 feet across and allow easy access without stepping on and compressing the soil. They are very easy to weed and actually have very few weeds, so the maintenance is simple. The height is easy on my aging back as well.

My setup is very simple to mow around and weedeat. When I tore down my older beds, simply spreading the raised dirt out and seeding with a bit of grass returned the areas back into "yard", always a plus if you decide to sell and move.

The "caging" with chicken wire is efficient and from last years photos you can see my tomatoes were easily covered with netting to prevent the birds from enjoying them more than I. ;)

The dedicated herb box keeps those things from taking everything else over. Our rosemary wanted to grow into a small tree before I transplanted into the herb box!

I've had flat 1/4 acre gardens in the past when I lived in the deep south and midwest. If I had known what I know now, I would have gone with raised beds then. Except corn! Corn doesn't do well from me in raised beds LOL.

We each just do what works for us. I happy with my setup, as I'm certain you are with yours. 👍

understood. It is always about what works for the spot one has available.

stay safe Jamie....

• Like 1