The Garden Thread

We鈥檝e canned 31 quarts of green beans and probably gave that many away. They鈥檝e just now started producing good. I guess I鈥檒l give more away as we鈥檙e about tired of fooling with them. It鈥檚 raining cherry tomatoes here!

• Like 4
1 hour ago, TennesseeCamper said:

My hopes of a second cucumber season are pretty much gone.聽
I planted these a couple weeks ago. They were looking great. Today I found all the leaves sheared off. Probably a dang groundhog.7DE04D51-A1F3-4F02-A63E-5F5CC09A37CB.thumb.jpeg.e28e2924b3918ca2273101e8f76f9a6e.jpeg

I found a new groundhog hole this weekend. I doesn't seem to matter how many I shoot, I always have one more messing things up. I told my boys that every groundhog they tell me about that I can get shot on, I'll give them $5. I got to hammer some after that.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, alleycat72 said:

I found a new groundhog hole this weekend. I doesn't seem to matter how many I shoot, I always have one more messing things up. I told my boys that every groundhog they tell me about that I can get shot on, I'll give them $5. I got to hammer some after that.

We live in the burbs in city limits, so no shooting them for me. My neighbor and I have live trapped a couple out and relocated them. 聽I swear they found their way back. 聽

1 hour ago, TennesseeCamper said:

We live in the burbs in city limits, so no shooting them for me. My neighbor and I have live trapped a couple out and relocated them. 聽I swear they found their way back. 聽

LOL! My father lives in the city limits. I think he killed 3 deer in his garden last聽year. I haven鈥檛 heard a score yet for this season.聽聽

Apparently nobody wants to confront an old man in his tighty whiteys at 3am carrying a shotgun.

While I can鈥檛 recommend his approach, I can suggest a good air rifle.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Haha 3
3 hours ago, gregintenn said:

LOL! My father lives in the city limits. I think he killed 3 deer in his garden last聽year. I haven鈥檛 heard a score yet for this season.聽聽

Apparently nobody wants to confront an old man in his tighty whiteys at 3am carrying a shotgun.

While I can鈥檛 recommend his approach, I can suggest a good air rifle.

Your father is a man of action, while I admire his skills and initiative, I believe your suggestion is probably the way the go.聽
my neighborhood is extremely sensitive to things that go boom 馃挜.聽
https://www.facebook.com/1625750908/posts/10223631494488510/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had the TWRA out at the property a few years ago to show them some bait piles being left around the wildlife management area behind me.

I showed them my little apple tree's and all the damage the deer had聽been doing,聽mentioned I may have fired off a few 9mm in their general direction one day to try to scare them off, didn't try to hit them, wasn't in-season.聽Don't want to kill them...?

"Do you own a shotgun?"

"Yessir, 20 ga."

"Get yourself some target loads, let a few fly from about 50 yds., it won't pierce their skin but a few mm's, and give them a reason to never come back. Worst case you can harvest聽them outside聽hunting season due to nuisance ordinances with your homestead, but need approval first, I can give you one of our forms, its no problem here..."

You know I haven't seen the bastards in the pasture garden since?

I meant the deer...

Now I have聽a clutch of Turkeys eating my squash and melons! Theres 3 hens and about 20 young... any turkey hunters?

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, ReeferMac said:

I had the TWRA out at the property a few years ago to show them some bait piles being left around the wildlife management area behind me.

I showed them my little apple tree's and all the damage the deer had聽been doing,聽mentioned I may have fired off a few 9mm in their general direction one day to try to scare them off, didn't try to hit them, wasn't in-season.聽Don't want to kill them...?

"Do you own a shotgun?"

"Yessir, 20 ga."

"Get yourself some target loads, let a few fly from about 50 yds., it won't pierce their skin but a few mm's, and give them a reason to never come back. Worst case you can harvest聽them outside聽hunting season due to nuisance ordinances with your homestead, but need approval first, I can give you one of our forms, its no problem here..."

I meant the deer...

Now I have聽a clutch of Turkeys eating my squash and melons! Theres 3 hens and about 20 young... any turkey hunters?

Turkeys only dust in my garden and eat bugs. I鈥檓 good with both.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, TennesseeCamper said:

My hopes of a second cucumber season are pretty much gone.聽
I planted these a couple weeks ago. They were looking great. Today I found all the leaves sheared off. Probably a dang groundhog.7DE04D51-A1F3-4F02-A63E-5F5CC09A37CB.thumb.jpeg.e28e2924b3918ca2273101e8f76f9a6e.jpeg

I had to put chicken wire around my gardens to keep the rabbits and such from eating everything. I also got a decent air rifle for the occasional game pie.聽

Those might still be salvageable if you can get them protected.聽

• Like 2
8 hours ago, ReeferMac said:

"Do you own a shotgun?"

"Yessir, 20 ga."

I meant the deer...

My parents had the same problem and聽had a deer nuisance permit for several years.聽 They also usually have a big flock of turkey's running around, but they vanish into thin air on opening day.聽

• Haha 2
6 hours ago, peejman said:

I had to put chicken wire around my gardens to keep the rabbits and such from eating everything. I also got a decent air rifle for the occasional game pie.聽

Those might still be salvageable if you can get them protected.聽

I will give it a try! We have groundhogs and plenty of cotton tails, so it will be a struggle. I do have a couple air rifles!聽

What kind of peas did you grow?

I had tried something-alaska and an 'early wonder' pea early in the spring, but they burned up quick in the heat and didn't really produce a lot? We ended up just eating them like snap peas mostly, nothing nearly enough to 'harvest'. I would like to find a聽more robust producer that you can put up for the winter.

8 hours ago, ReeferMac said:

What kind of peas did you grow?

I had tried something-alaska and an 'early wonder' pea early in the spring, but they burned up quick in the heat and didn't really produce a lot? We ended up just eating them like snap peas mostly, nothing nearly enough to 'harvest'. I would like to find a聽more robust producer that you can put up for the winter.

I think they were labeled Cow Peas at the Co-op. They look like a cross between black eyed peas and purple hulls.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Getting ready to till and plant a winter/cover crop down in the pasture garden. Neighbor wants a big bed of Mustard and turnip greens, I'll mix it in with clover and buckwheat... maybe get a deer this fall.

Going to try to get a late crop of taters in my old garden area (better soil). Just not enough time to work the dirt the way I'd like to.