Gas piston vs direct impingement: which way to go?

Guest profgunner

Guest profgunner

For what it's worth, the S&W M&P PS uses the Adams system. I'd stay away from anything with Olympic on it. Especially, a piston system. Also make sure the bolt carrier is chamfered or beveled at the back and the the carrier has the gas key machined into it. Not bolted on to the carrier like a traditional carrier.

You've made me think. Have I overlooked the S&W?

S&W is a very very nice setup , had one and it was a tac driver, now I have a lwrc piston and is very very very nice setup and it a even better tac driver, and love it, I would still buy another S&W ar15 Thay are hard to beat for the money . Both are great guns but I'm sure there are alot of great guns out there ,get what you like and want ,see if some of your friends have ar15 that Thay will let you shoot, and see what there set up is ,then do your resurch ,I added a surefire muzzle brake to mine and it was like day lite and dark rifle stayed on bullseye after every shot it made a big diff, enjoy what you get that's really all that matters good luck on your adventure and welcome to the ar World

Got to shoot a auto piston ar awhile back. It was smooth but even the semi piston versions of the same are high dollar. I have a DI gun and completely satisfied. It's lightweight and runs great but I keep it clean. More parts are interchangable with DI guns since each manufacturer has their own piston design if that means anything to you.

Guest 6.8 AR

You might want to look at this http://www.ar15performance.com/ and this http://noveskerifleworks.com/.

I have a couple of ARperformance uppers. They are top notch. Noveske's reputation is top notch, also.

I've probably heard the same as the others about Olympic Arms and really have no first hand knowledge

about them. The two I mentioned get you up a little higher in price than the S&W, though, but I'd bet there

is a big difference.

A little birdie told me that the 5R barrel normally only found on the M&P Sport will also be available on the S&W M&P MOE and VTAC2 rifles.

The 5R barrels are known for their accuracy. And the Melonite treatment that S&W uses is the best there is. It is more durable than chrome lining and more corrosion resistant than most other coatings.

You can't go wrong with the support of a company like S&W.

Dolomite

I was considering picking up a Ruger piston AR, but saw a few comments and pics on the web of people who had experienced a lot of major wear in the buffer tube from the bolt. Seems the piston causes the bolt to cycle at an angle that was just enough to wear deep grooves in the buffer tube. I don't know if that problem is common to all piston ARs, but after seeing that, I just decided I'd stick with the DI rifle I have.

A little birdie told me that the 5R barrel normally only found on the M&P Sport will also be available on the S&W M&P MOE and VTAC2 rifles.

The 5R barrels are known for their accuracy. And the Melonite treatment that S&W uses is the best there is. It is more durable than chrome lining and more corrosion resistant than most other coatings.

You can't go wrong with the support of a company like S&W.

Dolomite

Good to know about the 5R. I can sure attest to the toughness of the S&W finish. I just finished a slide for a M&P race gun and the hardest thing about doing the cuts was getting through the finish. :lol:

IMG_0557.jpg

I was considering picking up a Ruger piston AR, but saw a few comments and pics on the web of people who had experienced a lot of major wear in the buffer tube from the bolt. Seems the piston causes the bolt to cycle at an angle that was just enough to wear deep grooves in the buffer tube. I don't know if that problem is common to all piston ARs, but after seeing that, I just decided I'd stick with the DI rifle I have.

It is/was an issue. Beveling the back of the carrier takes care of the problem. Most companies have figuered this out. The other option is something along these lines and it fixes the issue as well. http://www.heavybuffers.com/anticant.html

I researched the same and came to the conclusion that di was right for me. I wanted something as light as possible.

I did a BCM mid length. EAG, like the Filthy 14.

My next AR is a DI also in 7.62. Armalite.

Both of these wer in the 1400 range.

I hear great things about the S&w MP sport. Great price too.

I researched the same and came to the conclusion that di was right for me. I wanted something as light as possible.

Both of these were in the 1400 range.

This is called carrier tilt and quite common with sub par quality piston guns, not trying to bash anyone but there are parts that can be replaced like the buffer that can fix this issue.

Edited by k9wh91984

Both of these were in the 1400 range.

Walmart now carries .308 DPMS AR's for $897.

Dolomite

Guest profgunner

Thanks to everyone for all the help and advice. I just bought a new S&W M&P 15OR .223 Carbine 16". OH hell, what will the wife say...... nothin' if I sneak it in under the cover of darkness.

Congrats! Would love to see some pictures of it if you snap a few.

I was looking in to the S&W M&P 15T Tactical, but Outpost Armory didn't have any in stock, so I settled for the Colt AR15 6920 LE.

Congrats! Would love to see some pictures of it if you snap a few.

I was looking in to the S&W M&P 15T Tactical, but Outpost Armory didn't have any in stock, so I settled for the Colt AR15 6920 LE.

You have an interesting definition of settling.

:D

Edited by Mike
Guest profgunner

Now that I have my new S&W AR, I have a couple of questions: 1.) on what occasion would I need to use the forward assist?, 2.) should I keep the action "wet" with lube? and 3.) are there PMAGs available in 5 round capacity for hunting?

Thanks, Steve

Now that I have my new S&W AR, I have a couple of questions: 1.) on what occasion would I need to use the forward assist?, 2.) should I keep the action "wet" with lube? and 3.) are there PMAGs available in 5 round capacity for hunting?

Thanks, Steve

The forward assist is to push the bold forward into battery if it gets stuck. Correct me if I'm wrong someone but it was a design change to compensate for a dirty bolt? I keep mine oiled but everyone will tell you differently, and yes they do. Edited by gjohnsoniv

Thanks, Steve

1. The forward assist serves no practical purpose and you will never use it.

2. Keep it well lubed/ "wet". Necessary

3. They do but there is no round limit in TN, so it doesn't matter.