Bazooka!

Guest RCLARK

Guest Lester Weevils

That's what I want to know Lester, because it would be fun to launch model rockets out of them, except for the exhaust gas of the rocket. Maybe make a C02 powered rocket so you don't damage the tube?

Dunno how exhaust gas is handled in old-style bazookas, but maybe there should be a transparent face-shield mounted on the bazooka tube on a hinge, so you can fire while the face is protected by the shield?

If you do amateur rocketry you probably know all this. Hadn't paid much attention for decades. The last couple of days been poking around the net and youtube studying on fuels and such. I recall sulfer-zinc and sugar-potassium nitrate from the old days. Youtube has numerous videos on sugar-potassium nitrate which seems commonly called sugar fuel nowadays. And a few videos on sulfer-zinc. People seem to use PVC pipe and either clay or cast-plastic nozzles nowadays on the low-power rockets. Kinda surprising such materials would be "good enough". Some videos show crude powder mixes of sugar-saltpeter, and even more disturbing videos of people melting the sugar-saltpeter indoors on hot plates or stoves in skillets. The books I read long ago said the flashpoint of sugar-saltpeter is "uncomfortably close" to the melting point, and you should only use electric heating, out of doors, in a double boiler or at least a melting container sitting in a bigger container of boiling water. And be careful about it. But maybe it isn't that critical if all those youtube video amateurs managed to make videos without burning down their own houses?

Anyway, found a company that makes "high end" amateur solid rocket motors. Their catalog pdf explains some FAA and ATFE restrictions on pre-manufactured solid rocket motors. http://www.aerotech-...m/products.aspx It gives the impression that ATFE gets involved from the "E" part of the acronym. If a pre-manufactured motor is "too potent" then it becomes a licensable explosive I guess. Though the brief descriptions imply that a citizen-manufactured rocket motor isn't quite as heavily regulated, but OTOH the ATFE seems to make up whatever rules that seem like a good idea at the time. And of course a homebrew rocket motor might get somehow ensnared by the "F" part of the acronym if deployed from a shoulder-launched tube. Confusing.

Hobby Rocket Categories

"Traditional" Model Rocketry

As children, many of us launched model rockets. Today, Estes, Quest and several other manufacturers make these rockets. Estes and Quest model rockets are available in many hobby shops, and Estes rockets are commonly sold in Walmart stores. These rockets use black powder motors up to ‘D’ (20 N-sec) size. Each succeeding letter denotes up to twice the impulse of the smaller letter; for example a ‘C’ motor is up to twice as powerful as a ‘B’ motor. Composite propellant single-use and reloadable model rocket motors of ‘D’ size are also available from AeroTech. These rockets usually weigh less than a pound and fly to limited altitudes, which allows them to be flown in many open spaces without special permission or licenses. Model rockets are usually simple to build and are quite safe. Model rocket motors are relatively inexpensive, costing only a few dollars apiece.

Mid-Power Rocketry

Beyond "traditional" model rocketry is what many call "mid-power rocketry". Rockets in this category typically use composite propellant model rocket motors in the `E` through `G` sizes, although black powder `E` model rocket motors are also available. The largest manufacturer of mid-power model rocket kits and motors is AeroTech. Mid-power model rockets generally weigh less than two pounds, but can fly higher than traditional model rockets. Mid-power model rockets containing no more than 4.4 ounces (125 grams) of propellant and weighing no more than 3.3 pounds (1500 grams) may also be flown without special permission or licenses. Mid-power model rockets are not necessarily more difficult to build than traditional model rockets. Composite propellant mid-power model rocket motors are more expensive than the smaller black powder model rocket motors ($5-$27 per flight), but usually cost less per unit of power. Mid-power model rocket motors are produced in both single-use and reloadable types.

High-Power Rocketry

The largest rockets built with commercially manufactured motors and sanctioned by national organizations are classified as "High-Power Rockets". Rocket motors used in this class range from `H` through `O` in size and are almost always the reloadable type. The largest manufacturers of high-power kits are LOC/Precision and Public Missiles, Ltd., although there are several other companies making these kits. These rockets generally weigh from a few pounds up to a hundred pounds or more and can fly up to 25,000 feet high or more. High-power rocket motors currently require federal licensing and national user group (National Association of Rocketry or Tripoli Rocketry Association) certifications to purchase, store and fly and can only be flown at organized club launches held in unpopulated areas of large open space. Highpower rockets are the most challenging rockets which fly on commerciallymanufactured motors and appeal to those who like large vehicles and enjoy the impressive flights with the larger, more powerful and more expensive ($20-$1,000 per flight) motors. More advanced materials and techniques are required for high-power rockets because of the dramatically increased stresses encountered in flight.

Experimental Rocketry

Those who build their own rocket motors rather than using commercially manufactured motors engage in a hobby rocket category known as "Experimental Rocketry". Motors can be any size, though generally they tend to be in the larger high-power range. In some ways, experimental rocketry is less regulated than high-power rocketry, although the FAA requirements are the same. Making your own motors can be dangerous and should not be undertaken lightly. Experimental rocketry is appealing to people who either want to do everything themselves or enjoy the process of developing and making their own motors. It should be noted, however, that making your own motors is rarely a money-saving proposition.

Edited by Lester Weevils
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm. I have some rather large engines back home that I think would be frowned upon. (Legally bought for model rockets) I would like to know the legality of shoulder firing one though and what kind of paperwork would have to go through the ATF. DD, AOW? Dunno. I'll upload a picture of the rocket that uses the big engines for you Lester, you will probably get a kick out of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I don't know how to edit posts on my phone so I'll just add this here, on all of our rockets the warhead it's done using it's propellant before it leaves the tube. So i'm going to bet the old bazookas are the same.