On Target Murfreesboro- DISSAPOINTMENT!!!

About a month ago I was in the market for an Arsenal SGL-21. I contacted my normal gun "D&T Arms" bc of their impecable customer service, but they were unable to track one down for me due to the high demand. I made a few calls and tracked one down at On Target in Murfreesboro TN. They had one in 7.62x39 that I was looking for. I then went out and picked up my SGL-21 from them. That weekend I went out to the farm to shoot some targets. I noticed that i wasnt hitting anything!!? I then went to Owl Hollow a few days later and got a front sight tool. I had to adjust the front sight all the way to the left to get the windage correct? This is on a rifle that is supposed to be laser sighted from the factory? I then told my buddy who had purchased the same gun from a different dealer and he asked me if I had gotten the test target in the box? I had evidentally not recieved the test firing target from Arsenal or the manual or any paper with the NIB rifle. The next day i proceeded to go to On Target and explain what had happened. The manager was very kind and explained yeah thats definitely not what you paid for and said he would ship in back to Arsenal for me. Two weeks go by and I havent heard anything from On Target? I called up there and the lady said they were still waiting on a packin slip from Arsenal> I then went up to On Target and decided to ship my rifle back myself. I contacted Arsenal yesterday and asked the customer service if they had recieved a call from On Target about my rifle. They said they had no record of any calls or anybody asking for a packaging slip about my rifle!!!!!?????? They asked me for my SN and i emailed it to them. I just recieved an email from Arsenal and they said that my rifle was manufactured in 2009 and was no longer under warranty and that I would have to pay for repairs. I contacted ON Target Yesterday and they said that the manager would have to call me back........he never did yesterday or today? I just tried to call up there today and they said the manager has left for the day and would not be back in until Monday and that they could do nothing about it until then??

Here is a video of the front sight post and how far off it was hitting!

Email from Arsenal:

Good Morning,This rifle actually left our facility in 2009, therefore there is no longerany warranty. Because of the length of time and un-known's the productionmanger is telling me that there would be a charge for the repairs. That costwould be $100.00. That cost covers testing, functionality andrepair/replace the front sight. If there is any additional work that wouldneed to be done, we would contact you before performing the repairs.Please advise if you would like to move forward and I will create the properpaper work.AnnetteArsenal Inc.Customer Service

Edited by TLRMADE

So, because you got impatient and didn't allow on target to ship your rifle, that's their fault?

Mike

Feel like two weeks is plenty of time to have a packaging slip emailed to them? They also lied about contacting Arsenal about shipping the rifle back.

So, because you got impatient and didn't allow on target to ship your rifle, that's their fault?

Mike

It doesn't sound like it would have been fixed for free, no matter who sent it in. The fact that On Target hadn't sent it back, I'd be willing to bet they already knew this.

Not that I needed another reason to never step foot in On Target, but another one it is. Some places are simply not worth doing business with, even if they are the only place in town that has one. On Target is one of those places on my list.

Edited by TripleDigitRide
  • Like 1

Did you buy it as new? If it’s a rifle in demand it wouldn’t have been sitting in On-targets inventory for three years…. Would it? The manufacturer shouldn’t care when it was made; unless they are saying you are not the original purchaser.

Did you buy it as new? If it’s a rifle in demand it wouldn’t have been sitting in On-targets inventory for three years…. Would it? The manufacturer shouldn’t care when it was made; unless they are saying you are not the original purchaser.

Yes I bought/was sold this rifle as new. Still have the receipt haha.

This is the most messed up thing I ever heard. When I got my SGL21-71 from Coal Creek it was brand new in box with all papers and test target. On Target sold you a used gun for new price and won't stand by it! That's messed up!!

Just because it was manufactured three years ago doesn't mean it has been sitting at the store the entire time. It most likely was in the distributors inventory for quite a period before On Target ordered it.

It doesn't sound like it would have been fixed for free, no matter who sent it in. The fact that On Target hadn't sent it back, I'd be willing to bet they already knew this.

Not that I needed another reason to never step foot in On Target, but another one it is. Some places are simply not worth doing business with, even if they are the only place in town that has one. On Target is one of those places on my list.

Two weeks isn't exactly a reasonable time frame to expect your rifle to be repaired.

To the OP, did you discuss your time frame objections with On Target? What was said?

Mike

Edited by Mike

Just because it was manufactured three years ago doesn't mean it has been sitting at the store the entire time. It most likely was in the distributors inventory for quite a period before On Target ordered it.

Two weeks isn't exactly a reasonable time frame to expect your rifle to be repaired.

To the OP, did you discuss your time frame objections with On Target? What was said?

Mike

Yes I called and ask to speak with the manager before I went to pick my rifle back up and was never called back. I went to the store and was told that they were waiting on a shipping label. They had the rifle for 2 1/2 weeks waiting on the shipping label. I contacted Arsenal and was told by Arsenal that On Target had never contacted them about a shipping label for the rifle.

I also called On Target yesterday to discuss the problem with the manager once again. I was told that he was busy and I needed to leave a message. After not receiving a call yesterday or today I called up there today and was told the manager had just left and would not be back until Monday. I was told I would have to wait yet again until next Monday be "he's that guy that deals with things like this".

Edited by TLRMADE

The problem is that On Target was blaming Arsenal for the delay bc they were waiting on the shipping label. When Arsenal has no record of ever receiving a call about a shipping label. I have been in contact with Arsenal yesterday and today about this issue and they have responded with and email every time I have emailed themback. I made phone contact with Arsenal first off.

Edited by TLRMADE

Did you buy it as new? If it’s a rifle in demand it wouldn’t have been sitting in On-targets inventory for three years…. Would it?

I bought a Bushmaster ACR Enhanced from Buds around a month or so ago, they had just got the rifle in stock and in the system when I bought it, I get it home go out to shoot and the charging handle was reciprocating, wtf was my first thought I new the problem existed on the old ones so I take a look at the serial and it was number 200, I could not figure out how the #200 gun has been floating around BRAND NEW for all these years, and I had to be the one that ends up with it and had to send it back for repairs(Took just under 2 weeks to get it back from Bushmaster).

Im sorry about the problems you are having with your Arsenal, mine have always been great and every body seems to love theirs but they are destin to spit out a lemon now and again, unfortunately you ended up with it. I hope you can get the issue solved and have many years and thousands of rounds of enjoyment out of it.

Edited by ~48_South~

Mike

You're right, two weeks isn't a reasonable time frame to have the rifle repaired. But it is well beyond a reasonable time frame to expect the rifle to, at the very least, be in The shipping process.

On Target couldn't obtain a return table in 2 1/2 weeks, but he was able to get one within 1 day? That's uncalled for. Then the manufacturer informs him that On Target never even requested a return lable for his rifle. Again, uncalled for.

I suspect if you were in his shoes, you'd be much less likely to be so nonchalant about the matter.

Edited by TripleDigitRide
  • Like 2

Yes I called and ask to speak with the manager before I went to pick my rifle back up and was never called back. I went to the store and was told that they were waiting on a shipping label. They had the rifle for 2 1/2 weeks waiting on the shipping label. I contacted Arsenal and was told by Arsenal that On Target had never contacted them about a shipping label for the rifle.

Thanks man! Hey you wouldn't want to trade for the ACR would ya :) that's kinda one of my dream guns

You're right, two weeks isn't a reasonable time frame to have the rifle repaired. But it is well beyond a reasonable time frame to expect the rifle to, at the very least, be in The shipping process.

On Target couldn't obtain a return table in 2 1/2 weeks, but he was able to get one within 1 day? That's uncalled for. Then the manufacturer informs him that On Target never even requested a return lable for his rifle. Again, uncalled for.

I suspect if you were in his shoes, you'd be much less likely to be so nonchalant about the matter.

I've been in both his shoes and the shoes of the guy behind the counter. I know #### happens and it's easy to start blaming people.

Mike

Two weeks is an unacceptable time in any business to get some kind of response. If OP took his rifle to On Target for shipping back to the manufacturer it should have been taken care of the next day or the day after at the latest.

This is why people come on this forum and constantly bitch about gun stores. Take care of business.

Is your front site canted to the left of top dead center? That has been common with many new AK's. I understand that it's a simple fix. I think Rifle Dynamics has a video on line that you can watch to understand what it takes. A good gun smith should be able to fix it easily if thats the problem. I know that should not have to be done to a new AK but......if you can get over the initial shock you may be more than satified with the Arsenal if indeed you only problem is a canted front site block. When I handle AK's, first thing I check is for a top dead center or close to top dead center front sight block. You don't see this problem has much with more current manufactured SGL's and SLR's. If canted sight tower, get it fixed, enjoy the rifle and forget On Target. Burn me once shame on you, burn me twice shame on me!

From Arsenal:

637face0-2eb5-fb2c.jpg

Is Arsenal certain that On Target has been in possession of the rifle for three years? I guess what I'm asking is, do they have records showing the rifle was originally sold to On Target and not a distributor? I can't see a distributor hanging onto it for such long period of time, but I'd also be a bit surprised to know a dealer would hold on to one that long.

I am curious where the original five round plastic mag went along with the authentication sight target and manual and paperwork. I received all this with mine but Taylor did not which is what red flagged me. I personally believe Taylor was sold a used gun or a gun which they knew had an issue since rifle fire is allowed at their range I'm sure someone shot it especially since its from 2009. I was gonna buy another Arsenal but never again, I'm buying Krebs now. Secondly when did firearm warranty countdown start when it leaves the factory, I thought it started once transferred to a individual. And for Arsenal not to fix it, they don't stand behind their product. As for On Target I will never spend one dollar there.

Edited by k9wh91984
  • Like 2

It sounds like On Target got caught trying to pull a fast one, but im pretty amazed that Arsenal who charges a ludicrous amount over factory price for some minor changes to an AK wouldnt stand behind their product while companies like Hi-Point and ATI routinely do and charge "crackhead prices". It tells me two things:

1. No desire to go to On Target

2. No desire to buy an Arsenal

If I want a crappy warranty I will just go buy a bone stock saiga for ~$300 and crank on it myself.