On Target Murfreesboro- DISSAPOINTMENT!!!

On Target looks bad, but Arsenal looks way worse. Have you asked them about their warranty statement?

They said it’s a year warranty from the original purchase of the product. What does that tell you? My WAG is that they don’t want to come right out and say what happened and are willing to lose a customer instead of a vendor.

• Like 1

They said it’s a year warranty from the original purchase of the product. What does that tell you? My WAG is that they don’t want to come right out and say what happened and are willing to lose a customer instead of a vendor.

Arsenal personally told me that my rifle was no longer under warranty also.

637face0-5149-1341.jpg

• Like 1

A one-year warranty definity is not fun, but that's at the manufacturers' discrection. However, the more I read on this thread, the more I question the On Target operation and handling of the situation.

Doesn't leave me really wanting to go there.

• Like 1

I have no dog in this fight, but I have had my own experiences with On Target, some good, some... not so much.

I know there's no "gun registration" in Tennessee, but is there any way of determining the original sales date of a weapon via serial number? If that serial shows up anywhere, then they sold you a used weapon represented as new and Mr. Criminal Attorney will need to dance to a different beat. I know it's a long shot, but it's not like you met someone in a parking lot and did a FTF exchange with cash and a handshake. There was federal paperwork involved.

Mac

Don't know about On Target, but Arsenal is coming off looking like the bad guy to me. Basically Arsenal is trying to blow you off and you're buying it. You even bought that On Target hadn't contacted Arsenal when in reality, Arsenal could have been trying to blow smoke in your face (or just have really crappy record keeping)

The best strategy here would have been to play the unsatisfied customer and to **ally** with On Target to get Arsenal to make your gun right. The gunshop has the most leverage to help you here but instead, it sounds like you keep poking them in the eye.

Again, I've never been to On Target and they could actually be the nest of vipers you're painting them as being...I simply don't know. However, nothing you have reported seems that out of line for a gunshop...I mean they'e just a *gunshop* and I have NEVER placed a great deal of expectation in ANY gunshop I've dealt with. They're simply the middle men in most cases.

But your post has convinced me that Arsenal customer service sucks--if the gun had been a Smith&Wesson or a Springfield you would have never recieved the BS email you did and the gun would have been fixed within a week.

• Like 2
So did the owner of the shop ever get back with you . And try and make it right

He called me yesterday to let me know that they were shipping it bak to Arsenal to get repaired. Estimated 5-8 weeks on return. But when I do get the rifle back there still won't be a warranty....

• Administrator

Whether or not a gun shop takes a firearm back and issues a refund is totally at their discretion. It's On Target's prerogative to decline refunds on firearms, which is a practice that a lot of gun shops follow. Whether or not it is "good customer service" is fairly irrelevant, especially if the customer knows that this is their policy before the buy the firearm. I'd be curious if they have any signage or text on their receipts to the effect that all firearms sales are final.

But we can be certain that Arsenal is not following their own claim of providing a 1-year warranty from the date of sale. One would assume that the burden of proving that the rifle had been sold over a year ago would be on them, not on the buyer. The buyer has no way of knowing and has to trust what the retailer told them.

If I were On Target, I'd be pissed at Arsenal for insinuating that the firearm was used, sold as new, and making sure that they took care of my customer.

I have no dog in this fight, but I have had my own experiences with On Target, some good, some... not so much.

I know there's no "gun registration" in Tennessee, but is there any way of determining the original sales date of a weapon via serial number? If that serial shows up anywhere, then they sold you a used weapon represented as new and Mr. Criminal Attorney will need to dance to a different beat. I know it's a long shot, but it's not like you met someone in a parking lot and did a FTF exchange with cash and a handshake. There was federal paperwork involved.

Mac

Yea I've got the SN on file. I might call up to D&T and see if I can get them to run it.

If you ran the number through TICS it would only show if the gun were reported stolen. I dont think there is a way to run it just to see if it has been sold before.

On Target likely bought the gun from a distributor. I've had two problems with firearms a mossberg 930 and a remington 700 in both cases the distributor. Sports South and Davidsons took care of the problem immediately there was no need to deal with the manufacturer.

I'm still shocked at Arsenal's lack of customer service.

Whether or not a gun shop takes a firearm back and issues a refund is totally at their discretion. It's On Target's prerogative to decline refunds on firearms, which is a practice that a lot of gun shops follow. Whether or not it is "good customer service" is fairly irrelevant, especially if the customer knows that this is their policy before the buy the firearm. I'd be curious if they have any signage or text on their receipts to the effect that all firearms sales are final.

But we can be certain that Arsenal is not following their own claim of providing a 1-year warranty from the date of sale. One would assume that the burden of proving that the rifle had been sold over a year ago would be on them, not on the buyer. The buyer has no way of knowing and has to trust what the retailer told them.

If I were On Target, I'd be pissed at Arsenal for insinuating that the firearm was used, sold as new, and making sure that they took care of my customer.

All the more reason to contact the state AG. They cannot advertise a one year warranty from the date of purchase and then not honor the warranty. Things like this are one of the reasons that we have AG's, and the AG's office wouldn't charge him to rectify the situation.

All the more reason to contact the state AG. They cannot advertise a one year warranty from the date of purchase and then not honor the warranty. Things like this are one of the reasons that we have AG's, and the AG's office wouldn't charge him to rectify the situation.

You'd be correct if the OP had gone after Arsenal the same way he's instead gone after the gunshop. But he didn't . All the OP has from Arsenal is an email from someone who may not even have the knowledge or the authority to speak for the company--we've all had those experiences. He needs to speak to the woman's supervisor, manager etc and get clarification. If he can get something in writing from someone high up that Arsenal will not honor their warranty, then he'll have legal ground to stand on.

You'd be correct if the OP had gone after Arsenal the same way he's instead gone after the gunshop. But he didn't . All the OP has from Arsenal is an email from someone who may not even have the knowledge or the authority to speak for the company--we've all had those experiences. He needs to speak to the woman's supervisor, manager etc and get clarification. If he can get something in writing from someone high up that Arsenal will not honor their warranty, then he'll have legal ground to stand on.

I believe that you'd be incorrect here because the employee is a representative of the company. It would be unreasonable to expect consumers to climb the corporate ladder to get an official word. Say this was a Dell computer and imaginge if you had to get an email from Michael Dell stating that they wouldn't honor an advertised warranty before you could report Dell to the AG, for instance. All he'd have to do is ignore your request.

Again, let the AG handle it.

I believe that you'd be incorrect here because the employee is a representative of the company. It would be unreasonable to expect consumers to climb the corporate ladder to get an official word. Say this was a Dell computer and imaginge if you had to get an email from Michael Dell stating that they wouldn't honor an advertised warranty before you could report Dell to the AG, for instance. All he'd have to do is ignore your request.

Again, let the AG handle it.

Funny you mention Dell. I've had an interaction with Dell where the person on the phone was obviously wrong, I asked for their supervisor and when I spoke to him the problem was solved instantly.

In this case, the Arsenal employee misstated the company's warranty terms in her email.

She didn't say that the OP's problem wasn't covered, she said that the warranty begins at the time of production which is incorrect (and insane).

She didn't know what she was talking about.

Funny you mention Dell. I've had an interaction with Dell where the person on the phone was obviously wrong, I asked for their supervisor and when I spoke to him the problem was solved instantly.

In this case, the Arsenal employee misstated the company's warranty terms in her email.

She didn't say that the OP's problem wasn't covered, she said that the warranty begins at the time of production which is incorrect (and insane).

She didn't know what she was talking about.

Yep, (both inaccurate and insane), and she has a duty to be accurate with her information. We cover this kind of liability training at my place of employment EVERY year.
Guest profgunner

IMHO, On Target made a very bad business decision by not issuing you a full refund when you first made your case. By not doing so, they have shot themselves in the kahuna's. Just multiply the number of negative comments on this board by, say $50, and you get the picture. Count me among the lost customers. -Steve

IMHO, On Target made a very bad business decision by not issuing you a full refund when you first made your case. By not doing so, they have shot themselves in the kahuna's. Just multiply the number of negative comments on this board by, say $50, and you get the picture. Count me among the lost customers. -Steve

I mean this as an honest question and am not trying to pick a fight: have you ever heard of a gun shop accepting the return of a firearm? I have not nor have I ever expected them to. Not even Walmart accepts gun returns and I can think of several good reasons of why such a policy is in place. In my experience, buying a gun is a lot like buying a car--once you sign the papers that gun (and all it's problems) belong to you.

• Like 1

I mean this as an honest question and am not trying to pick a fight: have you ever heard of a gun shop accepting the return of a firearm? I have not nor have I ever expected them to. Not even Walmart accepts gun returns and I can think of several good reasons of why such a policy is in place. In my experience, buying a gun is a lot like buying a car--once you sign the papers that gun (and all it's problems) belong to you.

I believe there were 2 or 3 people in this thread that have returned firearms before?

• Like 1