Workout music

I just picked up an iPod Nano to use while running. I end up building playlists around 80s/90s hard rock/heavy metal (Iron Maiden, old Metallica, etc). I'd like to broaden my reaches a little bit. Club music, techno, and about 90% of all rap music are not an option.

With that said, what music do the TGOer's use to get motivated for a workout?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jmoe816

I don't have any particular genre, but I like to listen to songs that motivate me. Especially stuff from my high school years. Reminds me of driving fast and doing stupid stuff. ;)

If you like Iron Maiden, Dio and the like, you owe it to yourself to check out Firewind. Lead guitarist Gus G. also plays for Ozzy nowa days. I've seen him play with Ozzy. His is IN-FRICKIN-CREDIBLE!!! Couple his skills with Apollo Papathansio's voice that can split ear drums and bust glass, they friggin' rock. It's awesome to see younger folk keeping 80/90s metal alive and well. Ever notice most modern bands play mediocre music and vocals are nothing but untalented screaming? Most modern metal sucks donkey.

Press play on this video, turn it up loud and try not to bang your head so hard you cause an aneurism!!

Breaking Benjamin (We are not alone), Shinedown, and Eminem (Recovery) are my go to's. That BB album I really good of you need motivating.

I know you said no rap, but check out Eminem Cinderella Man, if that doesn't get ya running I dont know why will

A lot of times I don't listen to hard driving songs beacause they tend to push me faster than the pace I'm trying to keep. Rather I'll just listen to music I enjoy and that distracts me from the discomfort of the task at hand.

When I am lifting weights during lunch M-F, I listen to what ever the gym is playing. When I do some cardio at night, I will listen to likes of Metallica, Ozzy, GnR, Judas Priest, AC/DC, etc... I have also had some luck with Pink Floyd during slower runs. I tried PodRunner a little bit.

http://www.djsteveboy.com/podrunner.html

Some of them are really good and some not so good, but they are all excellent because they are free.

I have made several playlists such as:

Eighties:

The GogGos, Flock of Seagulls, The Fixx, Bananarama, After the Fire, Gary Numan, B-52s, Inxs, Red Rider, The Cranberries (I know they are 90s), Duran Duran, Human League, Dexy's Midnight Runners, The Clash, etc...

Dance Mix:

Amber, Black Box, CC Music Factory, Crystal Method, Daft Punk, Goldfrapp, Jem, Kylie Minogue, La Bouche, Lost Witness, Push, etc...

More recent pop:

Black Eyed Peas, Britney Spears, Ke$ha, Lady Gaga, Sean Kingston, Maroon 5, etc...

If you're working out and need something to get you pumped up, try some Yngwie Malsteen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYQ8C05Q_0E

Woah now, are you tryin to give the poor man a heart attack?

Hey, you know why he puts the J. in Yngwie J. Malmsteen don't you?

To separate himself from all the other Yngwie Malmsteens out there.

If you open for Yngwie, you are contractually obligated to not speak to, look at, or talk about Yngwie back stage at the show. Not that it matters, he demands half the green rooms and never even leaves the bus until it's time to go on.

Oh yeah, it's all about Def Lepard, .38special, and them dudes from the Rocky soundtrack.

"rising up to the challenge of his rivals"

See if that don't get you going.

Oh almost forgot, crank up some ABBA. "Dancing queen, dancing queen look at the dancing queen" something like that.

Edited by TrickyNicky

Assjack

I don't listen to assjack but I will listen to some Hank Williams III.

...if you are trying to branch out try some Explosions In The Sky, MGMT, Girl Talk. Drive by truckers is pretty good, not very upbeat though (maybe this just works for me).

I get made fun of because of the workout music I listen to. It's usually a compilation of Hank Sr, Jr and III, Waylon, Willie, Jerry Reed and a little southern rock. I enjoy it, it's not the most fast paced music out there, but then again it's what I listen to all the time.