why do people dislike Taurus?

Guest RottenCore

Guest RottenCore

I don't understand why people talk bad about Taurus inc., I have owned 2 9mm Taurus handguns and have not had any problems. Taurus has a LIFETIME repair policy, that stays with the gun for the lifetime of the gun. That means when you sell it or purchased used, it is still under warranty. Someone please explain, why the hate?

I've had a pt145 since they came out. Over a decade of good service. They're still mediocre at best. Their products are hit or miss. They're really good or really bad.

Also, a warranty isn't really that impressive. A good gun should never need one. Orbendorf never offed a warranty on a '98 Mauser.....and they never needed one.

Taurus may be a good gun, but how many returns do they get? I bet it's a lot more than Glock, Xd's or M&P's get.

I have had several and never had a single issue.

The current one, a 9mm OSS DS, has 1,500+ trouble free rounds. It is also the most accurate 9mm I have ever fired. I might try some 100 yard shots like I do with my 1911 to see how they compare.

In the beginning people hated them because they were rough appearance wise. Since making them more pretty the haters don't have that to complain about. They now nitpick. Most Taurus haters have never owned one.

My wife shot a perfect score on her HCP with our Taurus. And the whole time the instructor was saying they are inaccurate and unreliable.

Dolomite

Why buy a 350-400 gun with a lifetime warranty when you can spend twice that and only have a marginal warranty with some other brands?

All kidding aside, I don't own one, but I have strongly considered a PT-145 because they are so cheap at Academy and CDNN. I will probably snatch one up one of these days.

The only Taurus I ever had was a .357 and it was a great handgun.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I don't like most of the Taurus line. I do like the Beretta clone series and the 1911's. The revolvers have pretty good reputation but they are revolvers. Most of their guns are just plain ugly.....then again people hate Glocks because they look like bricks. There will never be one manufacture that wins us all over....

I had PT-92. It was built better than Beretta, however the frame and slide finish were inferior to Italian counterpart. The anodising on the frame was soft. The slide was not nitrocarburized. It would be fine for XX cantury gun. Now I have better choice

We own a total of 4 Taurus' (2) 357's, (1) .45 and (1) 9mm. Don't much care for the 9mm and .45, but the 357's had a bit of work done to them and the triggers are pretty sweet now. Can't really do a lot to the semi's, but they are dependable as all get out, just don't expect to use them more than a few yards out with that lawyer trigger and you'll be good to go.

SDC10954.jpg

2012-03-13174910.jpg

People are moving away from Taurus because many of them expect to get the quality of a $1500 Dan Wesson in a $300 composite weapon and they are disappointed when they find out how not awesome a $300 gun is.

* Too add on that, one of my coworkers dropped his .40 24/7 and damaged the slide. Taurus actually replaced his slide for him at no cost, even though it was 100% his fault. I have no idea how often they do that kind of thing, but that kind of support is why we have these.

Edited by Sam1

I have tried to buy their revolvers more than once. I like the price too. When it came down to it, I walked out with a Smith and Wesson every time. They're just sloppier. I know they work. I know they look good. Just can't do it. I don't think I have ever played with one of their autos, but that's because of my experiences with their revolvers.

I gotta argue with you there brother. For all my bitchin about them, they turned my last repair around in just a few days. Not weeks, days.

You my friend are very, very fortunate I have friends that have nearly all of their guns and nearly all of them that have had issues sold them due to the shabby customer service, perhaps things have changed i am not sure

I've owned two Taurus autos and one was perfect and one was not. I sold the less than perfect one back to the shop I bought it from for $50 less than what I paid for it. My good one actually would have magazine FTF troubles due to weak magazines after about a year but beretta springs fixed that. Both of these were the 24/7 platforms. They say the PT92 is a great firearm. My father in laws judge has had a few weak primer strikes but only with me(I gave no reason why).

Guest bluecanary25

Makes me wonder. I just bought a used mdl66 Taurus, my first wheel gun. Looks very nice.

Gonna hafta learn how this thing works. So far, its looks and feel are very acceptable.

Reserving judgement until I've put a couple hundred downrange.

Anyone tell me where the hell the safety is?!? j/k :x:

Guest bkelm18

You will see if you ever have to use their warranty service!

Ditto. Had to send a revolver back to them twice with timing issues. 2 week turnaround each time. Didn't fix it either time. Ended up selling it for about half of what I paid for it even though I had only shot maybe 20 rounds through it. Not touching a Taurus again. There are plenty of companies who make better products with better warranties. A lifetime warranty doesn't mean #### if they don't fix the gun.

I guess the biggest problem is the wildly ranging experiences people seem to have. Their QC seems to fall all over the map. Me personally, I've owned 3 of their revolvers (2 .357's and a .22lr), and didn't have a bit of trouble with them. I've upgraded to nicer guns over time, but I was well served by the Taurus revolvers I owned. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another if I felt the need.

Guest bulluck533

I had a cousin that had a taurus revolver 2nd time out the barrel blew off. Look on Youtube there is a couple of videos of the same thing happening. Just get a Smith or a Glock. :up:

Guest TresOsos

Don't hate Taurus......just so many better and better quality choices avaiable.

And if its for carry, quality,dependability,reliability, durability...is so much more important than price point.

You my friend are very, very fortunate I have friends that have nearly all of their guns and nearly all of them that have had issues sold them due to the shabby customer service, perhaps things have changed i am not sure

No, no, nothing has changed. You had right to begin with. I got very lucky. :pleased:

I currently own several Taurus revolvers, .38, .357 and .22. I love them all. Great guns all. I have recently traded for a PT1911. Its a new gun and has some problems. I have sent it in for warranty work and I will certainly let everyone know what becomes of this situation. I do think Taurus is a hit or miss kinda product. You either get a great one or a terrible one. So far, I'm still more pleased than not. I'm waiting to see what happens with this warranty work, I may change my mind on all of them.

If they really are such bad guns ....why are they still around? ...

Seems to me that such bad rep and service would be a death sentence in the gun world.

I enjoy ours a lot and as Dolomite said..I shot a perfect score with it at HCP range day..So..it cant be all that bad..(Woman's logic)...

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2
Guest jwrench75

I won't say I outright hate them because my concealed carry and home defense weapon since '97 has been a small taurus .357 revolver that has been all I could ask for.

That said, my problem with them started this February when I bought my girl friend her first gun to take her carry permit class with and to carry there after, which was their poly protector .38 special. Bought brand new, got it home checking it out and noticed the cylinder would stop turning about every 5th trigger pull. So had the store mail it back for service (which cost me $25 shipping). Got it back in 3 weeks, took it to finally shoot it and not only did it still have the cylinder problem, but after 25 rounds a screw almost backed completely out of the frame and the fiber optic front site was hanging halfway out. So shipped it back a second time (another $25). That was 3 weeks ago and the status on their website still shows it as received, waiting for repair.

At this point I'm thinking we're just going to eat about half of what I paid, and try to trade it in once it finally comes back. What I do hate is that my girl friends introduction to guns started off this way.