why do people dislike Taurus?

Guest RottenCore

I liked them greatly until my .38 Revolver , I think it was a model 85 , locked up with no warning at all. The cylinder just locked and that was all she wrote! This was just with 20 rds through it . That was enough for me to just save up for what I wanted in the first place, a S&W 442 . No problems at all with it :usa:

Edited by tercel89

when something did go wrong with a product they didn’t have an efficient way to address the problems with the customer.

snip --- mostly agree. But, whether taurus did this or not, its very doable: if you do not understand the thing you made, and did not design it, you can still replace a busted one with a new one in about 10 seconds without a lot of trouble, provided most of them work and once in a while a lemon is cranked out (as seems to be the case). Its a lot cheaper to make one more and give it away than to pay an engineer $$$$$$$$$ per hour to fix something that is worth little compared to the analysis and repair expense.... If I could buy a gun making machine for cheap and make em, I would probably do my customer service that way, at least until I were stable and very profitable. I would, however, keep the busted ones for analysis later on, when I could afford an engineer to take a look at the problems and suggest improvements.

• Like 1

My 2 cents... I really like my PT1911. I take it to the range every week and have never had an issue. I've shot with guys with other brands and can't find any reason to change. Admittedly, I can't make an informed opinion on another brand after 50 rounds, but as far as comfort and reliability, I'm okay with my Taurus for now.

My first handgun was a Taurus 24/7 compact. It was a great gun and I still miss it sometimes. I sold it to a member here and last I heard it was a victim of the Nashville Flood.

That being said, I have heard too many horror stories about Taurus to buy another one. The only model that interests me is the 7 shot .357 snub noes they make.

What other brand offers a .357 revolver 2" barrel life time warranty for $350.00 (I bought it 7 years ago)

This is what pulls people in, the prices on Taurus's. Then they find out quickly what all the horror stories are about. Have experienced the multiple failures on brand new guns first-hand. Happily I did not own them. Their lousy CS is the next thing folks run into. Save a few bucks and get a better gun. There's many better to choose from.

Some folks have had trouble with theirs and may or may no have had decent customer service.

I know someone that has a Taurus 431 3" 44 SPL and he loves it.

Low round count so far < 1000, but it does well with most loads.

Guest Baron

Went into the LGS twice with intentions of buying a Taurus revolver. Both times I waked out with Rugers.

As mentioned above, you get better for just a little bit more.

I still like the Taurus revolvers and some day one might actually make it home.

If you think you can only afford a Taurus, just buy a Hi-Point for half that.

It'll work and you can save the other half toward something higher on the hog.

:hiding:

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Here's my takeaway on all this, based on what I've read so far and from what I've heard in the past.

If one buys a Taurus product, then it's a shot in the dark as to whether or not he gets a good product. On top of that, it's also hit or miss as to whether or not he gets good CS if he has a problem with his product. And if he's buying that product to defend his life or the life of his family, he may or may not have a product that he can depend on.

No thanks.

The PT1911 is supposed to be a great firearm, I don't know that I've ever even read of a problem with one of them. The polymers do seam to be what make the crap list frequently. I don't have a problem with Taurus but for Heavens sake please test it thoroughly before depending on it.

If you think you can only afford a Taurus, just buy a Hi-Point for half that.

It'll work and you can save the other half toward something higher on the hog.

:hiding:

- OS

Now there's some words of wisdom for ya right there! I reluctantly sold mine this weekend to a friend that needed it more than I did. I couldn't in good conscience let him gamble his life on a gun 3x the price. He simply couldn't afford better.

However, not everybody buys a pistol for self defense. Some just like to shoot pistols on the weekend, but have Mossberg 500 by the bed. These people may enjoy their Taurus even if the have an ocassional malfunction.

I don't know if I would go that far. You're an M&P guy. They had striker issues in some of those guns early on. They are plenty reliable now, as you know. I have always had a general rule of thumb. If the cops will carry it, so will I.

I've known several cops who carried the Taurus PT-92.

I liked them greatly until my .38 Revolver , I think it was a model 85 , locked up with no warning at all. The cylinder just locked and that was all she wrote! This was just with 20 rds through it . That was enough for me to just save up for what I wanted in the first place, a S&W 442 . No problems at all with it :usa:

I had that happen with a factory new Colt revolver, so on never knows for sure.

There is a lot of Blah – Blah garbage so far in this thread. You want to know why Taurus is seen as a second tier competitor in the firearms world?

Because they, like most Brazilian firearm manufacturers, got their start from buying second hand or left over tooling from other companies. They didn’t design them and only learned how to crank out guns in volume at very attractive prices. They bought production turn-key and did not focus as much attention on marketing, customer service, development, and distribution.

Because of this they only made a good physical product, but that is not all that is needed for a proper customer experience. They didn’t have the ability to modify design to keep up with consumer preference –remember they bought tooling and not the engineers that designed the guns. They didn’t have a proper marketing and customer support network to give customers assurance of a quality product, and finally when something did go wrong with a product they didn’t have an efficient way to address the problems with the customer.

They did this for 20 or so years. They may be improving, but customers don’t forget. It is reflected in price, it is reflected in reputation, it is reflected in resale value. A good analogy would be GMC. They spewed so much garbage for so long that even if they do produce a good product every now and then…people still don’t trust them. Don’t underestimate how much of a business is built on reputation.

this is true i carry a lightweight 2 inch 44 spl everyday as some of you know i am a real gun nut and have more than a few to pick from.i have shot several hundred if not thousand rounds in it no problem

the biggest reason i carry this is nobody i know of makes a 2 inch light weight 44spl

• Like 1

I don't understand why people talk bad about Taurus inc., I have owned 2 9mm Taurus handguns and have not had any problems. Taurus has a LIFETIME repair policy, that stays with the gun for the lifetime of the gun. That means when you sell it or purchased used, it is still under warranty. Someone please explain, why the hate?

In reference to the "lifetime warranty" that so many manufacturers seem to base their lives on... offering it is great, but if the customer who only owns one firearm to protect his/her family has to repeatedly send in the weapon for 1-3 weeks at a time, is that weapon actually doing what it's supposed to be doing? (protecting the family).

Warranties and guarantees have been summed up very succinctly in the past:

Tommy: Let's think about this for a sec, Ted. Why would somebody put a guarantee on a box? Hmmm, very interesting.

Ted Nelson, Customer: Go on, I'm listening.

Tommy: Here's the way I see it, Ted. Guy puts a fancy guarantee on a box 'cause he wants you to feel all warm and toasty inside.

Ted Nelson, Customer: Yeah, makes a man feel good.

Tommy: 'Course it does. Why shouldn't it? Ya figure you put that little box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter, am I right, Ted?

[chuckles until he sees that Ted is not laughing]

Ted Nelson, Customer: [impatiently] What's your point?

Tommy: The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.

Ted Nelson, Customer: But why do they put a guarantee on the box?

Tommy: Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of ####. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me.

Ted Nelson, Customer: [pause] Okay, I'll buy from you.

Mac

• Like 1
Guest RottenCore

Did anyone read the article about their new CEO? He has worked for Remington, SIG, Beretta and more. I believe this guy is going to change Taurus for the better, I just believe more good people need guns.

I bought a new 22/22mag Convertible revolver a few months back.

I could fire a few rounds and then you couldn't pull the trigger in DA or SA. Someone told me that the space between the cylinder and barrel was too dirty. It locked up on the fourth round I fired, dirty no.

I measured the gap between the cylinder and barrel before I cleaned it. Turned out to still be the same gap.

The frame was jagged in a few places too.

Spent 30$ to send back the revolver.

Received the revolver with a letter. " The gap between the cylinder was too close." R&R frame.

Well BS, the gap still measured what I had measured it at. Also noticed one of the frame screws was cobbled up from the wrong size screwdriver.

1) Cost me $30 more. ( most others email a shipping label.)

2) Didn't fix the gap. The revolver worked after I got it back but I don't know what they really did. (lie)

3) The Cobbled up screw and crap re blue job where they "R&R'd" the frame.

4) Won't happen to me again.

That is the exact thing that happened with my M85! That is why I carry the Smith and Wesson model 36 now.

Guest 6.8 AR

I have limited use with Taurus pistols, but I also have limited use with warranties. I don't like to base my trust on them.

More than 20 years ago, I bought a large framed, blue Taurus revolver in 357 Magnum. I hadn't even heard the name before I saw it at an auction. It had a beautiful blue finish, everything was fitted almost perfectly. The action was butter smooth, a great trigger, and it shot really well. In my opinion, it was every bit the equal of a Smith and Wesson. I later sold it for some unknown reason. I sort of wish I had it back today.

The new Tauruses I see today have poor triggers, actions, and sub par finishes. That's what turns me off. I'll not buy a gun with a gritty, unbearable trigger, nor one with an ugly fit and finish. These are indicitive of whats inside the gun. I'll pass.