why do people dislike Taurus?

Guest RottenCore

I had the rifleing start to come out the barrel on my previously sold pt22

I seriously doubt the rifling was coming out. More than likely it was lead build up obscuring the rifling.

I have several .22's that have in excess of 20,000 rounds and the rifling is as good as new. Something about rimfires, you never clean the bore until accuracy begins to fall off. I have had match guns that had thousands of accurate rounds through them without cleaning. And in most cases it takes 25-50 rounds for the barrel of a rimfire to foul and groups to tighten back up.

Most damage done to the rifling, especially rimfires, is from improper or over cleaning of the bore. That is also true for most center fires. Other than the throat most center fire barrels will last tens of thousands of rounds. And when accuracy falls off with them all you do is cut 1/8" off the chamber end of the barrel and rechamber. The barrel generally be as accurate as before.

Never clean from the muzzle. Most damage that affects accuracy is from a damaged crown. That is the last thing a bullet touches so any damage there will affect accuracy. Most cases it is rather a nick or just wear from a cleaning rod dragging on the crown.

Dolomite

Dolomite is right, it's virtually impossible to wear out a steel barrel with lead. Copper, brass, cupronickel, and the other forms of jacket material will, with time wear a barrel out. Lead? I would wager heavily the action of any given rifle, fed a steady diet of non jacketed bullets, would wear out before the barrel.

Guest Darthlaidher

I have never owned a taurus but the smaller sized taurus's look ugly to me but some other there bigger sized ones look decent.

Guest Lowbuster

I have a pt 92 9mm with over 1000 rounds through it with 1 malfunction which was stove piped with wife. Limp wristed I think. I put it up in 2009 with three topped off standard hi Capp 16 round mags and a 30 round clip. After reading this I went and emptied all four clips with no malfunction. 69 rounds and been setting nearly 3 years I thought springs in mags might be weak but it fired flawless. My finger got tired was my only complaint. It was given to me from my father in 1998 I think. I'm happy with it.

Wife had a Taurus 24/7 in 40 S&W. Good gun, just turned out to be too much for her. I currently have a PT709,

also a good gun. Carry it in my front pocket. Haven't had any taurus issues. Most run down Taurus for the same

reasons they do anything else.

Lincoln costs more than a Ford. Both arrive at the same time.

Guest bkelm18

An Aston Martin costs more than a Ford Fiesta. Both can arrive at the same time. That doesn't make the Ford a good car. :P

I have a Rossi/Braztech 851 (4" .38SPL +P made by Taurus) from a pawnshop. It was a surplus service weapon. Even after being abused and used at a PD, it still works just fine. Certainly not as good as my Redhawk, but not bad.

I also had the chance to shoot one of their Tracker 17HMRs. It was impressive. Very accurate revolver. It is on my list to purchase.

I guess Taurus is like Kel-Tec (I have six of those). Thin profit margin on them, some dogs get through, but mostly pretty good for the money.

Guest RottenCore

I met a Shelby county sheriff at the car wash the other day. He had a Millennium pro is the door of his truck. Of course I asked him to get it out of the vehicle and continued to ask him how he liked Taurus. He told me that he has put over 1500 rounds through it without a hiccup. if you wanna talk about bad guns, look at a Hi-point or Kel-tec.

I met a Shelby county sheriff at the car wash the other day. He had a Millennium pro is the door of his truck. Of course I asked him to get it out of the vehicle and continued to ask him how he liked Taurus. He told me that he has put over 1500 rounds through it without a hiccup. if you wanna talk about bad guns, look at a Hi-point or Kel-tec.

Let's see you do this stuff to anything but a Hi-Point.....

Edited by R_Bert
  • Like 1

I am really fond of my Taurus 85ULSS, I have owned it for at least 10 years now so I am not exactly sure how many rounds I have shot through that little .38 spl but it's alot, way more than I had ever imagined shooting though a lightweight snubnose, I think that's mostly due to the Hogue Overmold grip that is on it though, that grip makes it fairly comfortable to shoot even with +p ammunition.

Anyway it's not as nice looking as my S&W 19-4 but I personally don't have any reseverations about tucking my Taurus into a pocket.

Well, even if Taurus isn't as bad as some say, why fly a wing seat in coach when you can get in first class for a few more bucks?

My used Taurus Model 66 - which looked no more than a year or so old despite having been made in the late 1980s - was priced under three hundred bucks. In fact, I got out the door with it right at $300. I have never seen a used, medium frame S&W .357 for $300. Okay, you said a few more bucks. To me, a 'few more bucks' would be $320 or so. Even $400 isn't a few more bucks - it is a full 1/3 higher and I have never seen even a used, medium frame S&W .357 for $400. More like $500 to $600, maybe more. Twice the price isn't a few more bucks. This is especially true when, at the end of the day, the Taurus launches the same projectiles at comparable velocities thereby putting the same size holes in a target as any other .357.

My mom has my late father's medium frame S&W .357. He bought it lightly used and rarely fired it. We don't shoot it, much, because it is inaccurate. The last time I shot it - which I did just because it was his - the cylinder started being very difficult to open. You have to whack it HARD with the heel of your hand to get it to swing out. I have cleaned it, lubed it and double checked that the ejection rod, etc. is all screwed down nice and tight so that isn't binding. One of these days we'll take it to a gun smith for repair, I guess, but no one is depending on it for SD at the moment so there isn't a huge hurry.

Now, my Taurus for comparison: In the interest of full disclosure, my Taurus did have a tiny burr at the mouth of one of the chambers which made ejection pretty sticky when I got it - which may be the reason it appeared to have been shot so little. Once I identified the problem, it took me less than five minutes with some fine grain sand paper wrapped around a pencil to take care of that. Now, where the aforementioned S&W is inaccurate, the Taurus is at least as accurate as I am capable of being (likely more so) - although that might not be an entirely fair comparison as the Taurus has an adjustable rear sight. I am no trigger aficionado but to my perception the trigger on the Taurus is much better than that on the S&W - yes, I said the Taurus trigger is better than the S&W trigger, that was not a typo. And the biggie - you don't have to knock the hell out of the Taurus cylinder to get it to swing open.

Yes, this is simply a comparison between one Taurus and one S&W. But these are the examples of medium framed .357 revolvers from each company with which I have experience and, in this case - setting aside any sentimental connection and if needing one of them to defend my life - I'd take my Taurus over that Smith any day of the week and twice on Saturday.

Edited by JAB
Guest adamparker86

I own two tauruses the tcp & pt709 slim both are great guns very accurate and never had malfunction from either pistols

Like most "cheaper" guns people are just upset that they paid more and are just trying to justify why the gun they got was worth the pricetag. I like Taurus and have never had a problem, but my all Holy glock has been back to the factory 2 time for defects. I think most people that complain about a gun have never shot said gun.

Edited by Lions Fan

If every Taurus made had defects, we wouldn't be having this discussion...they'd have been out of business years ago.

Likewise, if the leading gun makers had as many defects as Taurus, they wouldn't be the leaders.

A lot of us know way more folks who've had a bad cheap gun than we do folks who've had a bad expensive gun. That being said, I still stand by my belief that people who buy the best gun they can afford usually know what they're getting into. That doesn't mean you don't share your experiences with others, but they don't scream as loud as a guy who paid 3X as much and has issues.

Guest Muddauber

I purchased a Taurus pistol and it had issues. I sent it back to Taurus twice before I traded it for a Glock. Taurus never did fix the problem. I have never had any issues with any of my Glocks, ever. Lifetime warranties don't mean a hell of a lot when they don't fix the problem. Lots of people have never had a problem with their Taurus purchase, so I guess I just got a lemon. I don't hate Taurus, just prefer other brands.

Guest dubaholic2

We have send in more Taurus firearms for repair than any other make we sell, and we sell fewer Taurus's to begin with. I once opened a box containing a brand new Taurus revolver and the barrel was canted to the side, not lined up with the cylinder... I have however heard good things about the PT1911, but I wouldn't risk buying one. Their QC is WAY too hit and miss.

Guest bkelm18

Lifetime warranties don't mean a hell of a lot when they don't fix the problem.

That's what a lot of people don't understand who say, "but Taurus as a lifetime warranty...". It's easy to slap "Lifetime Warranty" on the box, but it's meaningless if they can't fix the darn thing. I had the same problem. Two trips and couldn't remedy the problem. Sold it at a loss.

That's what a lot of people don't understand who say, "but Taurus as a lifetime warranty...". It's easy to slap "Lifetime Warranty" on the box, but it's meaningless if they can't fix the darn thing. I had the same problem. Two trips and couldn't remedy the problem. Sold it at a loss.

Exactly. When the time comes to defend yourself or your loved ones, your lifetime warranty isn't going to help much if your weapon malfunctions. Not that I don't own a Taurus or don't like some of their products, it's just that the "Lifetime Warranty" means less than nothing to me when it comes to purchasing a weapon.

Off-topic, but it's the same thing as was touted about those new "hi-cap" AR15 magazines someone mentioned. They are Aluminum and have a Lifetime Warranty!!! Woohoo, I'll be sure to keep my warranty card with me when I'm in a life and death situation in case it fails. No thanks. Give me a box of PMAGs or metal GIs. If one fails, I switch to another and leave the bad one on the ground.

Mac

I've owned two Taurus' one was good and one was not. I've had 6 Keltecs and all have been perfect out of the box. Bottom line is if I buy any gun I'll test it before I rely on it.

My father in laws Judge has had several weak primer strikes with .410. Might be the ammo though.

I have carried the same PT145 for 5-6 years now and have never had an issue. I prefer it over an expensive gun because it is just as reliable, but if I hver have to use it it was $345. I'd rather the cops scratch initials and it get beat up in an evidence room over one of my more expencive ones.

Guest bkelm18

I have carried the same PT145 for 5-6 years now and have never had an issue. I prefer it over an expensive gun because it is just as reliable, but if I hver have to use it it was $345. I'd rather the cops scratch initials and it get beat up in an evidence room over one of my more expencive ones.

When I am choosing a gun for self-defense, the fact that the cops might damage it when it is confiscated after I use it is the least of my worries.