Why do people worry about what others think...

daddyo

Well, as much as I hate to admit it... my wife got interested in guns because one of her friends had one and it was "pretty pink". I noticed the "look at me and my gun" show happening and the idiot (friend) was flinging a gun around a table saying "it's ok, it's not loaded". That day I decided I needed to buffer out those idiots and teach her myself. Since then, she has given up all hope for those idiots and cares more about how the gun performs to her than what anyone else thinks of it.**Thank God**

Growing up in the country and heading into the military @ 17 kept me away from most of those types of people, but I guess having a gun is more of a cool factor for most people. They don't understand how it can save and ruin your life at the same time... They just look at it as turning them into James Dean and Superman

Edited by Sam1

It is human nature to seek the advise of others. Plus when people are asking they are actually seeking to gather knowledge from the experiences of other. It is like learn from experiences of others and mistakes so you wont make the same mistakes.

• Like 1

... about their choices in carry weapons?

If you like it and think it will do the job for you, WHY are you concerned about what others think?

I just don't get it.

good question, but i think MK19 gets some of it right, but at the sametime sitting in front of computer does not make anyone a guru.

Edited by RWF

I always took it that those kind of threads were either getting ideas (I want a gun, what do others like in general) or prepurchase opinions (I like that sig, but does it have any problems?) more than anything else. Then there are the show & tell threads.... I got a new gun, look at it and stuff. Its pretty rare to see "I carry a X, is that ok" --- but all I can think of when I do see those is a new permit holder double checking. Lot of people out there with shiny new pistols, shiny new permits, and stil a little bit unsure about the whole thing.

Yeah, I don't see it as anyone getting 'approval' to carry a certain gun. Most are just wanting pros and cons of a specific platform. I've never seen a thread "_____ is what I carry, is that ok?" unless it was in reference to a small caliber.

Edited by Lumber_Jack

Why is the sky blue? Why is the grass green?? Why do people choose ammo and guns over their wives?? Why ask why??

Approval, appreciation and brotherhood (sisterhood)....that's why we do what we do. Most everyone here HAS their opinions but more often than not it's the person who suffers by taking advice without researching first.

Yeah, I don't see it as anyone getting 'approval' to carry a certain gun. Most are just wanting pros and cons of a specific platform. I've never seen a thread "_____ is what I carry, is that ok?" unless it was in reference to a small caliber.

This is the answer that I have to agree with.

If I'm considering a particular gun I like to get opinions from others who have actually owned one. I don't care what someone who has never owned one says even if they shot one a couple of times that a friend owned. I once owned a Keltec that I liked alot but over time there were things about the gun that made me start looking for something else. It wasn't a bad gun, I was just ready to move to something else. If others have had the same experience with the gun I'm considedring then I like to know their thoughts.

I now have only DA/SA guns and that's what I buy and carry. I know that's not for everyone but it's where I am today. I carry a couple of CZ's. They aren't easy to find around here but I like them and couldn't care less what anyone thinks. They fit my needs and wants.

You rang? I got my Arfs so I didn't have to use the same gun as Osama :pleased:

Now Mike, you know that wasn't directed at you. Right? :) BTW - Osama isn't using anything anymore, but rumor had it he wanted to use an AR but the prevailing opinion on the internet was they jam in desert enviroments. He even started a thread with a poll. ;)

People do this in all aspects of life. It's an insatiable need to fit in and be accepted by their peers.

Sometimes I wonder if I don't enjoy some of the things I do for the fact that not many, if any, are doing it. I'm likewise not ashamed to admit I derive great satisfaction from being addressed with comments to the effect of "Why in the world would want to do something like that?"

Guest A10thunderbolt

People do this in all aspects of life. It's an insatiable need to fit in and be accepted by their peers.

Sometimes I wonder if I don't enjoy some of the things I do for the fact that not many, if any, are doing it. I'm likewise not ashamed to admit I derive great satisfaction from being addressed with comments to the effect of "Why in the world would want to do something like that?"

+1

... about their choices in carry weapons?

If you like it and think it will do the job for you, WHY are you concerned about what others think?

I just don't get it.

I agree . I carry a Glock 30 and some say it is too thick and all and lots of people say it is ugly . I just like it and I can shoot it more accurate than a 9mm so I just dont care what they say.

I carried a 45 for many years, all the while, laboring under the delusion that I loved it. Truth was, I couldn't hit squat with it. I got into 9x19 and I tear one ragged hole.

Again, the truth: I carried the 45 cuz that's what the guys I ran with said was the best. They were wrong. Maybe it WAS best for them. Not for me. You can't get any more vanilla than a Glock in 9x19 and I don't care. It's accurate, dependable, comfortable and cheap. Beyond that, I don't give two wags or a rats ars what someone else thinks.

I just bought another 45 today. Oops.

:up: I still own one and have been on my head to get a 45 acp in a revolver. I have a few pieces of auto rim brass on the shelf of my shop that has me hypnotized. Great cartridge. Just not for me in an autoloader.