Talk to me about Scatter Guns

dbla

On bud's right now they have a Mossberg 500 Special Purpose for under 300 shipped. Pro's Cons? I don't know a lot about shotguns, but I think that's the next thing I need to add to my collection.

-a

what you want it for, besides to collect?

Its a large model, if for home defense it may be a big much to lug around, and hard to go room to room, depending on your home.

Looks like a pretty generic pump gun, with a good capacity.

Edited by Jonnin

It's like the Remington 870. Personally I like the Remington 870 because that's what I was raised shooting, and I own 5 of them ;). Having said that though I also have a Mossberg 500. There is an equal number of parts out there for both, so if you want to go tacticool or zombie killer it won't be a problem. Some people like the controls and ergonomics better than the 870 but that's personal preference. Honestly just go to a gun store and handle both and see which you like better.

what you want it for, besides to collect?

Fun at the range, SHTF home defense. Zombies. I have a .357 that I use for serious home defense, may keep the shotgun in the closet, may not... I really just want a long gun, and the shotty will probably be the easiest for me to pickup, first.

I just sold my tacticool 870 that had the 18" barrel and people hated it at the range. Had a nice fireball.

Yeah, that's kinda what I'm looking for. I don't wanna go overboard with it, but I just want something loud, and fun. No ghost rings, or side saddles...well okay maybe a side saddle, but no weed whacker handles.

Guest A10thunderbolt

I keep a shotgun for home defense, so I don't have to worry about taking out one of my neighbors with my .357. :up:

Fun at the range, SHTF home defense. Zombies. I have a .357 that I use for serious home defense, may keep the shotgun in the closet, may not... I really just want a long gun, and the shotty will probably be the easiest for me to pickup, first.

A shotgun is a great choice. They are cheap, ammo is cheap, and the many types of ammo fill many purposes from slugs vs deer to shot vs birds and anything in between. Everyone should have 1 good shotgun.

Again, this model is a bit big for indoor use, but that depends on your home. Try lugging an equally long 2x4 thru your house to see what I mean. A shorter barrel or a combat stock (pistol grip, or between that and the traditional rifle stock, options exist) or both would help if you find its a bit much. Mine is that big, but its in a strategic location and I do not plan to move once I get my hands on it.

All good feedback, any other brands or models I should look at other than the Mossy 500 and Remmy 870?

any interest in an auto? Browning, but tend to be a bit pricy. A couple of brands for tactical guns, also tend to be pricy. Saiga, for the mag fed guns. Cz and savage make good stuff in general but never tried their shotguns.

Right now none, not till the wife says I do. But I could probably finagle ≥ 300

Well that eliminates Benelli, they make excellent auto's, practically no recoil. There are several companies out there that could meet your needs but the 500 and 870 are the most popular, and have the most aftermarket fun stuff.

Well that eliminates Benelli, they make excellent auto's, practically no recoil. There are several companies out there that could meet your needs but the 500 and 870 are the most popular, and have the most aftermarket fun stuff.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking for my first, I'll work up to the pricey guns later... My budget is keeping me away from AR's, Kimbers, and apparently, Benelli's.... alas the life of a freelancer.

Guest RCLARK

I have a .357 that I use for serious home defense, may keep the shotgun in the closet, may not...

I look at that backwards. My handgun is to hold them off till I can get to the shotgun. If I have time to decide....I am going for the buckshot. Besides, the sound of a pump shotgun racking a load is enough, in itself, to make even the most hardened criminal poop his pants.

PRC made, actually more steel in them than basic 870. They run fine, been around long enough to know they don't fall apart with heavy use.

Not sure about accessories, seems like most everything 870 fits them except barrels?

The other inexpensive standard is the Mossberg Maverick, US "assembled" (barely).

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

I had a NEF Pardner Pump. I liked it. Solid, smooth. Everything but the barrel interchanged with a Remington.

I ran a lot of rounds through mine, high brass, low brass; taught several shooters how to shoot with it as well. It was a well regarded gun.

I eventually rehomed it with an older couple looking for something to dissuade varmints from harassing their property.

Just a thought, but if I were looking for a cheap, beater, beginner shotgun, I would try some pawn shops. I usually see an old mossberg 500 for 150-170$ in most pawn shops. Good luck

But which pawn shops in the greater Nashville area still deal in firearms?