Talk to me about Scatter Guns

dbla

I went with a pawn shop wing master 870. I have almost $500 into it . I'd now recommend an 870 express home defense with a 3 shot extension. It's a less expensive and easier route to a similar firearm.

That said, I am a huge fan of today's autos with pistol grip and ghost ring sights. Lots of old options right now.

But which pawn shops in the greater Nashville area still deal in firearms?

Most of the Cash America stores still sell guns, I think. And a pawn shop is certainly not a place to buy a handgun. But it seems like I always spot a good/reasonable deal on a shotgun.

The "tactical" Browning BPS is worthy of consideration. If I could find one at a fair price, I'd buy it and sell my H&R Pardner Protector.

yea I started to go there but I suspected it was overbudget for the thread. If that is the model I am thinking of it is at least $750 new (?).

Just because it's sometimes called a scattergun, don't expect the shot to scatter much. Within the confines of your house, you won't be knocking them down two or three at a time. I have a Browning BPS with 20" barrel ion one side of the house and an 18" ithaca Model 37 on the other. They'll be good at defending from a fixed position, IMHO, but I won't go looking for BGs with them. Rather, I'll wait for them to come to me. I have handguns sprinkled throughout the house in various places in case the door gets kicked in, but the shotguns are my Alamo.

• Like 1

I'll play the stick in the mud - bad guy here and lay out the bad. Ammo is very bulky and quite heavy for it's abilities, which despite many folks claim that a shotgun is extremely versatile, it's also very limited. Range is extremely limited. Even an expert shooter with slugs finds over a 100 yards a barrier. A 12g is pretty brutal up close but it takes a lot of training [and reduced recoil loads help a lot] to run a shotgun better than a good AR. Capacity is abysmal. Reloads require effort and much practice to feed that monster.

Although it CAN be done, you can't suppress it within the realm of feasibility.

I have a Winchester 1300 that's set up to go, but it's coated with a nice layer of dust and it'll likely stay that way. Too much punishment for the benefit it provides.

Something most people may not know about Mossberg pumps is this. The bolt itself licks into the barrel, which is steel, not lugs in the receiver. This makes for a stronger and more durable gun without adding weight. This is why they can use aluminum receivers without loosing strength or durability.

Most other shotguns lock into lugs on the receiver. While it may not be an issue with a gun with a steel receiver an aluminum receiver may prematurely wear.

The only downside to Mossberg shotguns is the tang mounted safety. It can be a huge pain on pistol grip equipped guns. The Maverick has a trigger guard mounted safety which is the best option. It also doesn't hurt that they are cheaper in price and available with large capacity tubes.

I was never a shotgun person. Yes I had one but never got into them. That was the case until I picked up a Saiga in 12 gauge. It is one gun I will keep until the end.

Dolomite

Something most people may not know about Mossberg pumps is this. The bolt itself licks into the barrel, which is steel, not lugs in the receiver. This makes for a stronger and more durable gun without adding weight. This is why they can use aluminum receivers without loosing strength or durability.

Most other shotguns lock into lugs on the receiver. While it may not be an issue with a gun with a steel receiver an aluminum receiver may prematurely wear.

The only downside to Mossberg shotguns is the tang mounted safety. It can be a huge pain on pistol grip equipped guns. The Maverick has a trigger guard mounted safety which is the best option. It also doesn't hurt that they are cheaper in price and available with large capacity tubes.

I was never a shotgun person. Yes I had one but never got into them. That was the case until I picked up a Saiga in 12 gauge. It is one gun I will keep until the end.

Dolomite

Though not a shotgun person either, the points you made are why I like the Winchester better than any of them. A rotating bolt that locks into the barrel, not unlike our beloved Stoner designed rifle. Out of all the pumps, the Winchester is [arguably I suppose] the fastest to cycle. I have a 20 and a 12. If you fire my 12g either loosely holding the forearm, or not at all, the action will actually open halfway on its own. I thought it was a problem when I first got it as my 20g did no such thing. You can, at the expense of your cheek and shoulder, empty this one as fast an auto loader.

I look at that backwards. My handgun is to hold them off till I can get to the shotgun. If I have time to decide....I am going for the buckshot. Besides, the sound of a pump shotgun racking a load is enough, in itself, to make even the most hardened criminal poop his pants.

You don't really believe that do you? Or did I miss the sarcasm?

You don't really believe that do you? Or did I miss the sarcasm?

I watched a guy in Walmart aggressively rack every shotgun in the display. He would cock his head then rack the shotgun as hard as he could. His friend asked what he was doing. He told his friend he wanted to see which on racked the loudest.

Now if I were a member of that idea I would without a doubt charge my Saiga to scare off an intruder. It has to be the most menacing sound there is. My wife even hates the way it sounds. As it stands right now though it sits ready to go WITH ammo. I suspect in reality the two dogs we have would be far more effective at keeping a bad guy at bay than the sound of any firearm.

Dolomite

The pump action racket thing ---- you can make just as much racket with an auto. At least the traditional A5 style autos, if the bolt is open and you prod the feed ramp to shuck in a shell and slam the bolt closed, its just as loud. Why anyone would make noise and give away their position is beyond me, but you can do just as well with either type.

• Like 1

Trying to scare someone with the sound of you pumping the action is absurd. Besides, the chances are greater the home invader will evacuate his bowels from being SHOT with the shotgun than being frightened by it.

• Like 1
Besides, the sound of a pump shotgun racking a load is enough, in itself, to make even the most hardened criminal poop his pants.

Tell you what - go ask any firearms instructor who knows his stuff if that's true, then get back to us.

Edited by DaddyO

I've trained with a lot of different weapon's but consider either a Remington 870 or Mossberg 590 as trustworthy. I've had a couple of Mossberg 500 12 gauge shotguns fail, both were simple fix's but they still failed. An older Remington 870 is a potential problem point in an inexperenced or excited shooter's hand's. Is it a bad shotgun? No, just an example of the need for training and tuneing your gear. FWIW I just purchased a used 20 ga. 870 Express for $170.00, used 500's and 870's often show up for well under the $300.00 mark. While an 18" or 20" barrel might be easier to move around with in tight spaces a 26" barrel will also work.

I have trusted my life to a shotgun and consider it a very capable defensive and offensive weapon's system, unlike the handgun which is more of a defensive weapon system.

Guest Papabear

I'll play the stick in the mud - bad guy here and lay out the bad. Ammo is very bulky and quite heavy for it's abilities, which despite many folks claim that a shotgun is extremely versatile, it's also very limited. Range is extremely limited. Even an expert shooter with slugs finds over a 100 yards a barrier. A 12g is pretty brutal up close but it takes a lot of training [and reduced recoil loads help a lot] to run a shotgun better than a good AR. Capacity is abysmal. Reloads require effort and much practice to feed that monster.

Although it CAN be done, you can't suppress it within the realm of feasibility.

I have a Winchester 1300 that's set up to go, but it's coated with a nice layer of dust and it'll likely stay that way. Too much punishment for the benefit it provides.

I'll give the counterpoint to this argument. I have used a shotgun most all my life for hunting and other sports and for anything out to a 100 yards a shotgun is more versitile than a rifle. Lets take your specific arguments. "Ammo is bulky" yes each round is larger now take 8 rounds of your AR's 5.56 and set it beside 1 round of 8 pellet 00 buckshot. Volume wise the single shotgun round is a little bit smaller than 8 rounds of 5.56 and for you metric fans 1 round of 8 pellet 00 Buck has 8 8.4mm projectiles.

Now for the Range argument yes a rifle has more range and as I stated out to 100 yards is about the max for a shotgun. And I am by no means a shotgun expert marksman but I have never had a problem harvesting deer sized game with slugs at the 90-100 yard mark. Just playing around at the range I can even ring the 24x24 inch plate set at 150yards with slugs. As long as the shotgun is sighted in it's not alot different than a rifle at it's range limitations.We won't even compare projectile sizes between a 5.56 and a 12 guage slug.

Your statement about a 12 guage being brutal at close range is correct. Within 30 yards buckshot makes a big mess of soft targets. But in my opinion the manual of arms for a shotgun is not complicated. You state "it takes a lot of training to run a shotgun better than a good AR" I'm not sure why you think this. Shotguns have had the same basic configuration and design for the last 50-100 years depending on type of shotgun you favor. And it is no different than any other weapon system to become famaliar with.

Capacity ok yeah my shotgun does not hold 30 or more rounds. My Remington 1100 with mag tube extension holds 8 + 1 for a total of 9 rounds. But going back to projectile count thats 72 .33 caliber pellets. I feel just fine with that level of round count. But that is a personal thing. I know people who think anyting less than a full beta mag is to little. Reloads are a bit slower but like any other gun you get faster with practice. And if your shooting on the move you can top off the tube fairly easily with a side saddle or shotgun belt. You don't have to wait until your empty to top off.

Suppression is really not a issue as the vast majority of shooters don't have a suppressior anyway. And there are just better hosts if you wanted a supressed gun anyway.

Looping back to the verisitility thats what I like about the shotgun. I can use the same gun to bird hunt, deer hunt, target shoot and defend the home. With a AR for example I can only punch paper or load magazines and wait for the zombies to show up. Without a new caliber upper 5.56 is a litte small to hunt anything bigger than predators. I would not feel comfortable trying to harvest a deer sized animal with one.

Just one mans opinion and worth every cent you paid for it :)

Edited by Papabear

Trying to scare someone with the sound of you pumping the action is absurd. Besides, the chances are greater the home invader will evacuate his bowels from being SHOT with the shotgun than being frightened by it.

The safety *does* click, after all. Ask any of those crazy turkey hunters.

I have the H&R pardner pump. It is just like the 870, everything (except barrels) that fits the 870 will fit it. It is a chinese gun if that kind of thing bothers you it may not be for you. That being said, mine runs great, I love the 18.5 inch barrel.

• Like 1

I have a Mossberg Maverick Security 88 that came NIB with a 20 inch barrel and factory extended mag tube installed. I tossed an inexpensive light with tail switch (where I live is more or less in the woods and there are no street lights, etc. - it can get pretty dark at night) and a cheap sling (just so I wouldn't have to put it down in order to use both hands for something) on it. Might do a side saddle one of these days but if seven rounds of 2 3/4 00 Buckshot don't do the trick on a threat then I'd probably be better served spending those last, few seconds writing a 'goodbye' message to my friends and family than fooling with a reload.

Image2.jpg

Most aftermarket accessories for the Mossberg 500 will work on a Maverick 88. Barrels are said to be interchangeable with the Mossberg 500 but I have never tested that out, myself.

Edited by JAB

I have a Mossberg Maverick Security 88 that came NIB with a 20 inch barrel and factory extended mag tube installed. I tossed an inexpensive light with tail switch (where I live is more or less in the woods and there are no street lights, etc. - it can get pretty dark at night) and a cheap sling (just so I wouldn't have to put it down in order to use both hands for something) on it. Might do a side saddle one of these days but if seven rounds of 2 3/4 00 Buckshot don't do the trick on a threat then I'd probably be better served spending those last, few seconds writing a 'goodbye' message to my friends and family than fooling with a reload.

Image2.jpg

Most aftermarket accessories for the Mossberg 500 will work on a Maverick 88. Barrels are said to be interchangeable with the Mossberg 500 but I have never tested that out, myself.

These are the best deals on pump action shotguns. They are Mossberg but what makes them better than most ofther Mossbergs is they have the safety on the trigger guard. With a standard Mossberg the safety is on the tang and is a HUGE PITA to operate with a pistol grip stock. That is why I sold my 500.

Dolomite

Has any one seen the New England Firams 12 gauge that Walmart is selling for 180 or so? Is it any good. Is it this "H&R partner" I have heard about that is interchangeable with the 870? If so can you give me any opinions on it and if it is worth it for a home and range gun and maybe for a few crows if they are dumb enough to get near me? I know it is heavier then the same 18.5 in 870 that they had. But the controls are in the right place and I don't plan on this being a big field gun. So the extra weight is not an issue. But I would like to add a mag extension to it so I can have all the rounds in the gun that will fit.

What are your thoughts please?