Talk to me about Scatter Guns

dbla

Has any one seen the New England Firams 12 gauge that Walmart is selling for 180 or so? Is it any good. Is it this "H&R partner" I have heard about that is interchangeable with the 870? If so can you give me any opinions on it and if it is worth it for a home and range gun and maybe for a few crows if they are dumb enough to get near me? I know it is heavier then the same 18.5 in 870 that they had. But the controls are in the right place and I don't plan on this being a big field gun. So the extra weight is not an issue. But I would like to add a mag extension to it so I can have all the rounds in the gun that will fit.

What are your thoughts please?

The parts physically interchange but all the screw holes are metric. So if you swap out a stock that uses a difference screw you will have to tap the receiver hole to the proper size. I am not sure about the holes to mount a rail on top of the receiver.

I liked the one I had and wish I had it back now. It was reliable.

Dolomite

Dolomite

Thank you. I think I know what my next gun is. For what I want and my budget this sounds perfect. And I can take my time to get the top fold stock I want (yes I was a fan of the shot gun in the first jurassic park movie). And It will still be less then the 870 when I am all done.

The parts physically interchange but all the screw holes are metric. So if you swap out a stock that uses a difference screw you will have to tap the receiver hole to the proper size. I am not sure about the holes to mount a rail on top of the receiver.

I liked the one I had and wish I had it back now. It was reliable.

Dolomite

This is very cool if the price is right. May go check it out.

My personal "go to" long gun is a Mossberg 590A1, I keep it loaded with Federal LE reduced recoil 00 buck, I also own Mossberg 500 & a Remington 870 but I like the 590 the best out of the three.

As far as the whole "but what about the limited range of shotguns" arguement, I honestly can't imagine a realistic self-defense scenario ever happening which would require engaging targets beyond the shotgun's effective reach.

• Like 1

Just though I'd give you guys an update, I am the proud owner of a new Benelli Nova Pump, 18.5 Barrel 4+1 capacity. I know, I know, it's not the Remmy or the Mossy I was talking about... but I traded for it, and it worked out really well. Thanks to the guys over at D&T Arms, my favorite gunshop, by far.

• 3 months later...
Guest robin.kempton

I have a Remmington model 887 nitro mag tactical and its light, fast and made perfect for home defense. Has a toprail for any kind of site you'd like to use and a small rail up front for a tactical flashlight. Take a look at it and see what you think....I love mine !! :woohoo: