Female friend interested in Taser

One of my friends is interested in getting her HCP and a gun, but until then she wants to look into tasers or taser guns. Now, I know enough about the HCP process to educate her on that and direct her to all the right resources, but as far as tasers I'm completely in the dark. Do you need a license or permit to carry a taser gun? Do you have to attend a certain class? Any and all information would be very helpful.

Mods, if this is the wrong forum, please move this. I wasn't sure where to put it.

Thanks for your time.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think anyone can use one or own one and carry it. However, 2 things come to mind:

1) some places ban them. Mostly, that would be universities.

2) they can kill people. Rare, but it happens. Not really a good idea on anyone with a pacemaker for sure.

3) killed or not, you could still be sued for using it, and lose, even if you were in the right. Kinda like guns--- there is the criminal part and the civil part.

Jonnin -

I thought this was the case, but I really want to make sure from people who are much more well versed in the laws of TN than myself. And I realize that tasers can kill also which is something that I relayed to her, but she wants to have something other than pepper spray until she gets her HCP.

all I got is online law sources.

Handgunlaw.us could find no restrictions in Tennessee Law concerning Chemical Sprays, Stun Guns

Or Higher Capacity Magazine Bans.

http://www.ehow.com/list_6455576_taser-gun-laws-tennessee.html says much the same thing with more words.

Its hard to point to a lack of a restriction. I can point to the various weapon offense sections at tn.gov but there is nothing there about tasers to see, at least that I was able to find.

A taser is better than nothing, especially for a female. All women should have some form of armed defense. They are the best targets for criminals and you don't see dudes getting raped that much.

A taser is better than nothing, especially for a female. All women should have some form of armed defense. They are the best targets for criminals and you don't see dudes getting raped that much.

Yeah definitely. I always advocate to my friends to always have some kind of option when it comes to self defense other than just your fists and legs (to run away.) She currently carries some no-name pepper spray like many ladies I know, but since recent events she wants to up her personal defense arsenal, and eventually get her HCP and carry - which is why she asked if I knew anything about the laws regarding buying and carrying taser guns.

Not sure on laws....

This is just my opinion ...

I think carrying something is better than nothing.. BUT.. if a bad guy is close enough where you can taser him( or her).. they are already to close.

And close up .. you get hurt or disarmed.. Pepper spray takes to long.. you fumble and takes time to aim it in the right direction.

I would press to get some training on the range and then the HCP asap...

But thats just me :)

The word TASER is often used when referring to any stun gun. Like saying Kleenex (brand) when you need a tissue. Actually stun guns and TASERs are two different animals. A stun gun uses electricity to get someone to comply due to the pain of being shocked. A TASER (when the barbs are launched) interrupts the signals the brain is sending to the muscles in your body causing the muscles in your body to tense up and you fall to the ground. With a stun gun you have to be close enough to your attacker to place it against their body. A TASER can operate as a stun gun would or it can launch barbs (connected to wires connected to the TASER) up to 15 feet, for the civilian version, into your attacker. Stun guns are relatively inexpensive. A civilian model TASER costs around $400.00. Both are legal in Tennessee.

In my present occupation I have carried a TASER since 2003. I have witnessed dozens of TASER deployments and in my experience the desired result is achieved about 50% of the time. About 35% of the time that it hasn't worked the person the TASER is deployed on is wearing heavy clothing, the barb gets deflected by seams in jeans or zippers, etc. The remaining 15% of the time I can't explain why the TASER hasn't worked. It just seemed like it did not have any effect on the person.

If I had to choose between pepper spray, TASER or a stun gun. I would choose pepper spray because:

1) I could use it without having to be in arms length of my attacker (10ft + effective range)

2) I would have more than 1 deployment. With a TASER once you fire the cartridge you have to reload with a fresh cartridge.

3) Much less expensive than a TASER (which would be my second choice)

If you use pepper spray it should be an OC (pepper) CS (tear gas) blend. CS will start working on the bad guy almost immediately. OC takes approximately 60 seconds to achieve maximum effectiveness. The blend of the two is better than any one of them alone.