I have been reading up on the Russian weapons of the Cold War and found this cool little silent pistol they made that does not use a can. Instead it uses special amo that has a piston in it that during firing keeps all the Gas in the Case and just "Pushes" the bullet out of the barrel.

My question is could this be applied to other Amo that is out there? and if you could do this would it still be a AOW or Class III?

Let me know your thoughts please.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rodents in the Yard is one. another is practice in my back yard with my normal gun with out the neighbors getting mad. and last is if I can do this with out getting a Stamp I think it would allow more people the chance to see what shooting is like with out the extra expense and noise.

Guest Scramasax

The technology was stolen from the US. The original rounds were made to use in a S&W model 29 with a snub smoothbore barrel for tunnel rats multiple projectile loads.ALso some were made in 12ga. I don't know of any unfired rounds in civilian collections but saw a spent round one time at Benning. They are very useful at short range. BTW in civilian hands each round requires a $200.00 tax stamp. I used to know more about them but have lost a lot of my memory since then.

Cheers,

ts

The technology was stolen from the US. The original rounds were made to use in a S&W model 29 with a snub smoothbore barrel for tunnel rats multiple projectile loads.ALso some were made in 12ga. I don't know of any unfired rounds in civilian collections but saw a spent round one time at Benning. They are very useful at short range. BTW in civilian hands each round requires a $200.00 tax stamp. I used to know more about them but have lost a lot of my memory since then.

Cheers,

ts

Because they are silent or close to it?

Not exactly the same thing, but the CCI Quiet .22's are truly quiet. I spent every week night shooting opossum's out from under my house with the stuff in my AR with a CMMG .22 conversion bolt. Won't cycle a semi auto, but it's about as loud as a BB gun. Velocity is around 710 fps. http://www.cci-ammun...ewproducts.aspx

CCI® Quiet-22™ .22 Long Rifle

Set your 22-caliber LR rifle to stealth mode with the new CCI® Quiet-22â„¢ rimfire round. Ideal for bolt-action and single shot .22 LR rifles (and perfectly safe in semi-automatics), this new reduced report cartridge generates ¼ the perceived noise level of standard velocity .22 LR round. Perfect for areas where noise may be a problem and ideal for introducing youth to the shooting sports, the Quiet-22 allows for safe shooting enjoyment without hearing protection.

FEATURES & BENEFITS

• Ultra-quiet plinking round in 22-caliber LR rifles

• 75% reduction in perceived noise of standard velocity .22 LR

• Standard CCI .22 LR case

• Excellent accuracy and low velocity (710 feet per second)

• Better performance than an air rifle with similar noise levels

• No hearing protection required

• Great for backyard plinking and youth shooting

• Ideal for legal shooting areas where noise may be a concern

NOTE: These cartridges may be used in semi-automatic firearms, however manual

cycling of the action may be required.

MODEL

Part No. 0960

Edited by Smith

Not quit as fun but deffitnally worth looking into. I will see if I can find some and see how it works. It might really help my girls enjoy shooting with me. Right now they get off one shot and then say they are done. ( but they both love whering the ear muffs even when not shooting. Who knew)

Guest foister82

Are you talking about the nagant revolver? Sweet guns just no power.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

Are you talking about the nagant revolver? Sweet guns just no power.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

The Nagant revolver round is small but I wouldn't say it has no power. The old milsurp ammo is hot but the new stuff is awful.

Cheers,

ts

Actually this technology has been around a LOT longer than that. Look up 'spigot mortar'. For small arms, it was first proposed early in the smokeless powder era as a way to reduce bore erosion from the very hot and high velocity powder. It was dropped when barrel steels were improved instead.

Another use of the same technology has been in captive bolt guns, also known as cattle killers.

Guest SpicyMchaggis

Aside from all the destructive devices, you could experiment with downloaded cartridges. Short of a .22, nothing will truly be that quiet without a suppressor and matching sub-sonic ammunition. Pistols are hard to quiet without the use of a can. Best advice if you're looking for something for the backyard, get yourself a bolt-action .22 with decent barrel length and use CCI Long's or the new Quiet load. Won't get any quieter than that without a can.

Guest Scramasax

The tech for the contained explosion round has not been around that long. It originally was a spin off of NASA tech. The alloys didn't exist before then. The powder is contained within a folded metal container within the cartridge case. This cup shaped expands into a pill expanding like a balloon, nothing like a spigot.

ts

The tech for the contained explosion round has not been around that long. It originally was a spin off of NASA tech. The alloys didn't exist before then. The powder is contained within a folded metal container within the cartridge case. This cup shaped expands into a pill expanding like a balloon, nothing like a spigot.

ts

So is it essentially the compression of the air that forces the round out of the barrel along with the "pill" smacking into the round? Also, what keeps the pill from leaving the barrel with the round? is there a slight lip that catches it or something along those lines?
Guest Scramasax

There is a crimp at the end of the case. the expanded powder chamber has no real momentum to exit the case body. think of the expansion as kicking a ball, one sharp snap. no progression of velocity in a barrel. The m29 barrels were, I believe 2" and were smooth bore. I am using my well abused brain to remember all this. Therefore I'm not certain on the exacts of the ballistics but the effective range with good accuracy and terminal use was around 35'. Remember this system was designed for use by tunnel rats at pointblank range.

Ts

Type: Double Action

Caliber 7.62x41mm SP-4 special purpose noiseless cartridge

Overall length 170 mm

Weight loaded 850 g

Magazine capacity 6 rounds

The PSS (Pistol Special Self-loading official index 6P28) has been developed for special personnel of the Soviet KGB, as well as for Spetsnaz of the Soviet Army. Adopted circa 1983. It is much more compact and much more silent in action, than 'conventional' silenced pistols like Soviet PB or Chinese T 67. At the present time the PSS is used by most elite Russian anti-terrorist teams.

The PSS looks like the conventional blowback pistol, but it has some quite uncommon features. First, it has a two part barrel, with the separate rifled par, which is fixed to the frame, and the breech part with the chamber inside, which is allowed to recoil inside the frame for a short length against its own return spring. This recoiling part increases the weight of the moving parts at the initial stages of recoil, and also is used to slow down the slide on its final stages of movement, to dampen the sound of the slide hitting the stop on the end of the recoil cycle. The slide return spring is housed in the slide, above the barrel. the double action firing mechanism has open hammer and slide-mounted decocker. Sights are of fixed type. Magazine is a single stack and holds six rounds of SP-4 ammunition.

SP-4 cartridge:

metric designation bullet weight muzzle velocity

7.62x41 9,3 g / 143 grain 200 m/s / 655 fps

The bullet resembles old Kalachnikov 7.62 bullet widely used in Asia and Middle East. So nobody exactly know how many bad guys were taken down by operatives armed with PSS

Fanny enough, that without suppressor PSS is not "any other weapon".

Edited by greyofk

Not exactly the same thing, but the CCI Quiet .22's are truly quiet. I spent every week night shooting opossum's out from under my house with the stuff in my AR with a CMMG .22 conversion bolt. Won't cycle a semi auto, but it's about as loud as a BB gun. Velocity is around 710 fps. http://www.cci-ammun...ewproducts.aspx

I just ordered some of this last week. Glad to hear it works as advertised.

I just shot cci quiet's last week. I was looking for cci cb but found these instead. They really were about as quiet as my pellet gun. I hope to try them out on my barn rats soon.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2