Firearm cleaning supplies tool box suggestions needed

Guest motonut

Guest motonut

My situation:

I don't use a workbench when I clean my firearms, I usually go out and sit at the patio table on the deck and enjoy a beer while I'm cleaning them. As a result I don't have a place where the cleaning supplies stay out and readily available. Since I keep more than just the basics in my box I need something larger than the usual "cleaning kit". On the larger items I need it to hold a couple of (broken down) cleaning rods in addition to a few aerosol cans. In addition I like to keep the bore brushes seperate if possible in addition to other brushes, patches ect. I only need this box for cleaning at home, this will not be taken to the range (size/bulk isn't a big issue).

I've tried several solutions, most reciently the MTM Tatical Range Box

http://www.mtmcase-g...nge-box-mtm.php

And while it's a great idea I'm tired of having to split the box apart to get at all of my supplies plus I've found I don't use the rifle rest feature of the box and those rests take up a good amount of room in the box.

I've thought about a fishing tackle box but haven't found one that will hold 2 or 3 aerosol size cans in addition to the cleaning rods. Also I've used a (updated style) ammo box with tray and that worked pretty well but I would like something bigger to organize all the little "bits" I keep in the kit.

Any suggestions? Would like to keep it under $75 if at all possible.

TIA

Edited by motonut
Guest motonut

That Husky looks OK. would need to add a few of those plastic organizers too but that would work.

Any more suggeations? I still like the idea of a tackle box just haven't found one that I can keep aerosol cans in (that has biult in organizers).

I've never had a problem storing aerosol cans laying down, that's the way they've been kept in the MTM box for a couple of years.

Edited by motonut

I've been thinking about getting one of these:

http://www.homedepot...zer-129974.html

aa19c1f7-a691-464c-9fcf-1ddcd3237118_300.jpg

And using some of the smaller tackle organizers in the pockets to hold my brushes, q-tips and the like while the cleaning rods (bound with velcro straps) and bottles/cans/tubes go in the bucket. Out of the way, but easily accessed. I keep my gun cleaning supplies in a closet, so the bucket gives me some added insurance over a cloth bag or even a tackle box if something oily or acidic were to spring a leak or spill.

I haven't actually pulled the proverbial trigger on the idea yet so I don't know how it would work, but I figure I can always use it for its intended purpose (organizing tools on my workbench) if it didn't work out for gun cleaning junk supplies.

Just a thought.

Edited by Viracnis
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest bbtie72

I use an old trauma kit. It has a large storage area in the bottom and 3 layers of fold out trays with adjustable storage compartments. These are like old large tackle boxes.

Guest motonut

I use an old trauma kit. It has a large storage area in the bottom and 3 layers of fold out trays with adjustable storage compartments. These are like old large tackle boxes.

I bet that works nice.

I wound up going with a Plano #7810 Extra Large Shooters Case since I couldn't find a tackle box I liked.

http://www.amazon.com/Plano-7810-Extra-Large-Shooters/dp/B000P433Y6/ref=sr_1_23?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1339266218&sr=1-23

This thing has PLENTY of room in the bottom for quite a few aerosol cans and other stuff. I also use a couple of their small flip top storage boxes to keep the small things like barrel brushes organized.

I just use a Plano tackle box to keep my regular stuff in...patches, grease, solvent, oil, deadblow hammer (MkIII requires it when it's finally time to clean), small hammer, punches, various brushes, jags, etc. When it's not out, all my gear sits underneath the cheap workbench Harbor Freight puts on sale every couple months. My cleaning rods hang on the wall in a cheap plastic hanger I had leftover from a garage setup project years ago. Nevermind the hanger in the foreground - it has nothing to do with guns or home projects...it's just there to dry out hockey gear. Living in a tiny townhome, this is the best I could come up with.

IMGP0239.jpg

Guest Scramasax

I have so many different boxes that I could fill a pallet. The MTM boxes are probably the best for long guns. I have several other tool boxes that I have set up for different calibers/models. These have small spare parts in smaller boxes for range repairs. The best range box I have is a discontinued Black&decker workbox with a clamp top. I can us it to hold a gun and work on it at the range. Fortunately I like to work on guns because I usually end up doing that for other people at the range. Like many things the search for the more than basic kit is never ending. I would have to have a trailer to take everything I might want.

Cheers,

ts

I also use a tackle box. But I do not keep cleaning supplies in it. I keep the tools I need to mess with gun in it.

As far as cleaning goes there is a reason I don't have something to carry the supplies in. It is because I do not clean my guns. I only clean when the accuracy or reliability begins to suffer. And in most cases all I do is hose the part down with WD-40 then blow it off with air or just wipe it down. WD-40 is a pressure good solvent for all the crud in guns and won't destroy plastic parts. I don;t always use air either, a lot of time I just soak the parts with WD-40 then wipe it down with a rag.

Dolomite

ETA:

And most times I do not lubricate my guns either because I believe it collects the dirt and debris that causes malfunctions. A prime example of that is my 22 AR using a Ciener conversion. Most people say they are unreliable and in he begining mine was. I oiled it just like everyone recommeneded and at about 500 rounds it began having "issues". Since then I have quit lubing tht gun in any way shape or form and I have over 3K rounds through it now since the last time I cleaned it. It is dirtly but the dirt just falls away from the working surfaces.

Something else that helps my conversion is the firing pin I made. I used an old allen key and that way there is passage ways for the debris to work through without impeding its operation. Normally the firing pin is a tight fit and even a small amount of crud causes issues but not with the 6 sided firing pin. I recently did that but even before that I rarely had issues as long as the kit was dry.

My centerfire AR is the same way. I do not lube it in any way unless there is a chance of corrosion. It has been years since it has been cleaned thoroughly and honestly I don't think a cleaning rod has been down the bore since it was new. It still shoots as good as when it was new.

Now there are some platforms that do need lubrication. The 1911 needs GREASE on the rails to run well. Oil works fine for a brief time but doesn't stay put. I use molybendum disulfide grease and it stays put and works very well.

Edited by Dolomite_supafly