Zimmerman Trial Updates - Ongoing

I wouldn't bet you are, either. There's always more to it, but it may not be relevant. Do you have a job on the side with CNN?

If this is all the evidence there is conjecture about Zimmerman's choir boy status shouldn't convict him.

The point I'm making is that most folks here are quick to point out that Martin's actions are questionable while ignoring Zimmerman's actions. Pot in his system? He was 17. On any given day when I was 17 I may have had THC in my bloodstream. Besides, from what I understand THC can remain in your bloodstream for days after using marijuana, so it doesn't mean he was under the influence at the time of the incident. It doesn't mean that he deserved to get shot or that he was just a thug up to no good. He has a picture of him flipping off a camera? So does President George Bush.

If we're going to point out all these things about Martin's past (pictures, school record, pot use) why not point out Zimmerman's arrest for assaulting a police officer? Just because he had a CWP doesn't mean that he automatically gets the benefit of the doubt over an unarmed teen. The root facts here don't add up to a cut and dry self defense shoot, they just don't. 12 jurors have to be convinced beyond a reasonable doubt that Zimmerman committed a crime. If the prosecution can't prove it then he gets to walk. If he gets convicted what then? Were the 12 jurors in on the conspiracy?

Based on everything I've seen and read, I couldn't vote for 2nd degree murder, but manslaughter? Yes. The problem with a manslaughter conviction is it will just piss off everyone. The people who want him crucified for murdering "that poor defenseless child" will not be satisfied, and the people who insist all Zimmerman did was defend himself from a "vicious thug" will be just as mad. Me, I think Zimmerman showed extremely poor judgement and as a result he ended up causing a situation where Martin thought he had to lash out and we see the results.

I think the judge is going to worry about a fair trial. If folks riot after the outcome of a fair trial, they need to just shoot 'em.

The point I'm making is that most folks here are quick to point out that Martin's actions are questionable while ignoring Zimmerman's actions. Pot in his system? He was 17. On any given day when I was 17 I may have had THC in my bloodstream. Besides, from what I understand THC can remain in your bloodstream for days after using marijuana, so it doesn't mean he was under the influence at the time of the incident. It doesn't mean that he deserved to get shot or that he was just a thug up to no good. He has a picture of him flipping off a camera? So does President George Bush.

If we're going to point out all these things about Martin's past (pictures, school record, pot use) why not point out Zimmerman's arrest for assaulting a police officer? Just because he had a CWP doesn't mean that he automatically gets the benefit of the doubt over an unarmed teen. The root facts here don't add up to a cut and dry self defense shoot, they just don't. 12 jurors have to be convinced beyond a reasonable doubt that Zimmerman committed a crime. If the prosecution can't prove it then he gets to walk. If he gets convicted what then? Were the 12 jurors in on the conspiracy?

Pot in his system only made him LESS likely to do anything violent. I'm thinking that if he was really buzzed, the bag of Skittles would have been empty.

• Like 1
Guest 6.8 AR

The evidence, to date, secures that reasonable doubt. The reasonable doubt is why the first DA refused to

charge Zimmerman. There is nothing but reasonable doubt, and, Martin having THC in his blood may be acceptable

and all that good stuff, but but it only helps Zimmerman.

BTW, I wasn't a daily pothead, but, back in the sixties and seventies, it wasn't always necessary.

The evidence, to date, secures that reasonable doubt. The reasonable doubt is why the first DA refused to

charge Zimmerman.

Sure, the evidence WE have. I'll admit, with what is available to the public right now I wouldn't vote for conviction, but it doesn't mean I don't think he did it. Even the Casey Anthony jurors thought she did it, but conceded that the prosecution didn't have enough evidence.

I think in this case there is going to be a mountain of evidence coming from both the prosecution and the defense. I think it will be enough that we will have a pretty clear picture of what happened. Will it be enough to convict? I dunno, but it won't change my opinion, but that's the way it goes.

The problem the prosecution is going to have is proving intent. I don't think they're gonna get even a manslaughter conviction by proving that Zimmerman's actions were criminally negligent. I have a feeling they'll have some witnesses who will testify about Zimmerman's intentions towards "thugs". Just a feeling I have; I think that is where the 2nd degree charge is coming from rather than a manslaughter charge.

The fact of the matter of this case is that Zimmerman was arrested to silence the mob that Sharpton and his types stirred up. The chief of police down there is on record saying that the evidence corroborates his claim of a self-defense shooting and that is why no arrest was made initially. Plain and simple this man wasn't arrested on the scene and shouldn't have been arrested afterwards at all.

• Like 2

The fact of the matter of this case is that Zimmerman was arrested to silence the mob that Sharpton and his types stirred up. The chief of police down there is on record saying that the evidence corroborates his claim of a self-defense shooting and that is why no arrest was made initially. Plain and simple this man wasn't arrested on the scene and shouldn't have been arrested afterwards at all.

Exactly :rolleyes:

If Trayvon had wrestled the gun away from Zimmerman, this would be a non-story and we would have never known who Zimmerman was.

I thought the initial investigator recommended a charge of manslaughter.

If officers had all the evidence to make arrests at the scene then there would no reason for detectives. The fact he wasn't arrested on scene means nothing. Zimmerman claimed self defense and Martin said nothing because he was a corpse. This equals not enough evidence and requires an investigation. If the PD just took his word and did not investigate it further that would be beyond gross negligence.

Pot in his system only made him LESS likely to do anything violent. I'm thinking that if he was really buzzed, the bag of Skittles would have been empty.

And I think the theory he was high is disproved by his purchase of Skittles and iced tea. If he just smoked weed he'd a bought funyuns and a slurpee.

The prosecutor is handling this case in a way that leads me to think that the case against Zimmerman is extremely weak.

First: She does not take this case to grand jury, but instead charges him via an information. Most prosecutors I know love to get grand jury indictments for their cases, and it is quite easy to get an indictment, as well. This tells me that she thinks a grand jury would not find enough PC for charging Zimmerman. Charging via an information will probably lead to a PC hearing in front of one judge. I guess she hopes to get a sympathetic judge, so she can continue the case.

Second: 2nd degree murder is a big time overcharge in this case, and I highly doubt Zimmerman would ever get convicted of that. Manslaughter? Maybe, but the recent evidence coming out is making that look unlikely. She may be hoping to charge high in hopes of getting Zimmerman to plea to a lesser charge.

Honestly, this whole case smacks of political correctness. They are doing it to appease the liberal media and the race-baiters (Sharpton/Jackson).

• Like 3
Guest Gwith40

The THC in Martin's system is important, because on the dispatch tapes, Zimmerman said "he looks like he is on drugs or something." This establishes a part of his suspicion about Martin's behavior. It is also important, because if you remember, the media narrative was that Trayvon was suspended for absenses, etc. Now it is clear he was suspended for possessing weed.

If I remember correctly, juries in Florida generally consist of six, not twelve. This case has no business going to trial and should be tossed before it gets to that point. The question is whether or not this judge has the courage to do the right thing.

In my opinion, Angela Corey is no better than Mike Nifong and should be treated accordingly. It is also clear at this point, from reading available documents, that Corey and Crump had exculpatory information available to them and blatantly mislead the public about what they knew.

Guest bkelm18

Nobody is saying Zimmerman is a squeaky clean character. However the new evidence coming out regarding Trayvon as well as Zimmermans injuries, cast a considerably large reasonable doubt shadow on this case. There is no doubt that the second-degree murder charge is entirely politically motivated. Even if they managed to get a totally brain-dead jury and they convict him of second-degree murder, it would almost certainly be tossed out in an appeal. Manslaughter would be a more appropriate charge. However even that would be a little shaky. Zimmerman didn't have to go after Trayvon, but Trayvon didn't have to beat the #### out of (allegedly) Zimmerman either. There is just too much that is unknown about this case and too much that will probably be never known for any real serious charges to stick.

The THC in Martin's system is important, because on the dispatch tapes, Zimmerman said "he looks like he is on drugs or something." This establishes a part of his suspicion about Martin's behavior. It is also important, because if you remember, the media narrative was that Trayvon was suspended for absenses, etc. Now it is clear he was suspended for possessing weed.

The THC level in his bloodstream were too low to make him stoned. They were high enough to get him fired, if he had a job

Me, I think Zimmerman showed extremely poor judgement and as a result he ended up causing a situation where Martin thought he had to lash out and we see the results.

No one ever has to lash out, for any reason. He didn't need to touch Zimmerman, at all, no matter what Zimmerman had said to him or how he may have looked at him, or whatever. Until someone touches a person and it becomes physical, there is no reason to lash out at the other person, otherwise that make the 'lasher' the guilty party.

• Like 2

No one ever has to lash out, for any reason. He didn't need to touch Zimmerman, at all, no matter what Zimmerman had said to him or how he may have looked at him, or whatever. Until someone touches a person and it becomes physical, there is no reason to lash out at the other person, otherwise that make the 'lasher' the guilty party.

Yep... the first person to take a swing commited a crime. It may be the ONLY real crime in the case, if the shooting was really self defense.

• Like 1

Arrest does not equal conviction (why not point out Zimmerman's arrest for assaulting a police officer?).

And I'll take the neighborhood watch person's version any day over the drug user.

Guest Gwith40

As far as I know, you either have THC in your system or you do not. In other words, it is difficult to establish how much would be required to be high. However, the levels establish that Trayvon did in fact smoke weed and it could affect his behavior, in so far as he might have been acting strangely. If you watch the video from the 7-11, Martin appears to take a very long time to pay for his purchases and appears to be weaving back and forth at the counter.

As far as I know, you either have THC in your system or you do not. In other words, it is difficult to establish how much would be required to be high. However, the levels establish that Trayvon did in fact smoke weed and it could affect his behavior, in so far as he might have been acting strangely. If you watch the video from the 7-11, Martin appears to take a very long time to pay for his purchases and appears to be weaving back and forth at the counter.

Yep. I guess you could go on a drunken rampage 3 hours after you have a beer. Chances are, the beer had nothing to do with it. Not trying to defend Martin at all. Just sayin', the weed wasn't a factor.

Edited by mikegideon
Guest Gwith40

I would generally believe that someone who smokes weed would not be violent because of it either...however, it could alter behavior enough to make someone look as if they are acting strange. That is all I meant. It fits with statements made by Zimmerman and could be important to a jury looking at the case.

If you have some time, this is some interesting material, relating to how all this blew up in the first place.

http://theconservativetreehouse.com/2012/05/11/update-21-trayvon-martin-shooting-the-media-retreat-no-longer-subtle/

Guest 6.8 AR

Sure, the evidence WE have. I'll admit, with what is available to the public right now I wouldn't vote for conviction, but it doesn't mean I don't think he did it. Even the Casey Anthony jurors thought she did it, but conceded that the prosecution didn't have enough evidence.

I think in this case there is going to be a mountain of evidence coming from both the prosecution and the defense. I think it will be enough that we will have a pretty clear picture of what happened. Will it be enough to convict? I dunno, but it won't change my opinion, but that's the way it goes.

The problem the prosecution is going to have is proving intent. I don't think they're gonna get even a manslaughter conviction by proving that Zimmerman's actions were criminally negligent. I have a feeling they'll have some witnesses who will testify about Zimmerman's intentions towards "thugs". Just a feeling I have; I think that is where the 2nd degree charge is coming from rather than a manslaughter charge.

The only intent was Zimmerman trying to stay alive.

A witness came forth stating Martin was beating the

Hell out of him. The evidence suggests self-defense.

But, if you want him convicted, maybe you will get

your wish. The THC, knuckles, testimony from the

defendant, testimony from a witness and probably

more makes it a stretch that Zimmerman is even

culpable, besides, why do you want to beat up so bad

on someone trying to protect his neighborhood

that you can overlook all the evidence? There are

plenty of race baiters down there doing a bad enough

of a lynching on him. The presumption of innocence

is the court's job. Why do you want him to be guilty?

Or am I reading something wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk