Any EMTs on here??

My son and I attended a first aid training the other night. We both will be receiving our "certifactes" soon and had a really nice time. The lady who taught the class was at one time a EMT. That kind of work suddenly appeals to me. Does anyone know what needs to be done to "be" an EMT? Any words of wisdom?

Guest Nologic

I was a firefighter before the army and one of the prerequisite was EMT-B. I'd say rescue calls are more stressful than actual fires. There's a lot to deal with emotionally, and academically. If you want to go that route I'd go for my paramedic license. The pay is good.

Guest nicemac

My son and I attended a first aid training the other night. We both will be receiving our "certifactes" soon and had a really nice time. The lady who taught the class was at one time a EMT. That kind of work suddenly appeals to me. Does anyone know what needs to be done to "be" an EMT? Any words of wisdom?

My son just finished and is now a certified EMT-IV as of last week.

He did his at Columbia State Community College (CSCC) starting in the Spring semester that began in January, but the requirements literally just changed. He needed 15 credit hours of study. Beginning in the Fall semester, you have to have 30 hours. He had to do 12 rotations in hospital emergency rooms and ride on an ambulance. He then took his CSCC final written exam and his skills exam. Once passed, he underwent the required background checks with TBI and FBI. Drug screens etc… then he took the National Registry exam.

Now after saying all that, that life is not for everyone. My wife was a paramedic. Not for everybody…

My brother-in-law was an EMT for several years. The stress of the job, working odd hours, and one particular call involving a child that didn't make it pushed him to seek other employment.

I also have an acquaintance that's an EMT in Knoxville. I'm sure he'd be willing to give you the scoop, if you're interested.

I retired last year as a Firefighter/EMT. I enjoyed that field of work and unfortunetly, I still find myself practicing my EMT skills (except as a good samaritan) almost every day at either the Hotel or the Wildlife Refuges. Good skills to know if for no other reason than caring for your own family.

Volunteer State Community College used to teach EMT-B. That's step one. Get your "National Registry" certification and start applying!

I am an EMT-IV and I love my job...as I tell ANYBODY getting into the healthcare field you have to love your job...If you don't you will in turn be bitter and take it out on your patients. The job can be stressful at some times but in the end if you love it you will find a way to deal with it. I love the schedule as I'm on shift and work 24 hours...I have had one call that bothered me and it was a 2 month old cardiac arrest...Something just didn't add up with the situation but I knew that there was nothing I could do about it. I could notate what my partner and I seen in my narrative but I'm not a cop, judge, DA, or anything else that can bring charges. When I was in school I was told by my teacher you CAN NOT SAVE EVERYONE!! and this has shown true. but now I will get off my soap box. To become an EMT you enroll into a state accredited course which will last a year. You will have class and also clinical time which consists of ER time and riding on an ambulance. after all that you have a final, a practical test, and last of all National Registry. If you seriously interested in it first I suggest doing a few ride alongs on an ALS ambulance. Most services allow this you just have to sign a waiver and you can't have any pt contact, but it will give you a VERY small taste of what it's like. I love what I do and will stay in the healthcare field as long as God grants me the breath to do so. I'm getting ready to either start on my Physician's assistant with a focus on ER medicine or go get my M.D. in emergency/general medicine.

Sorry for the long post :cheers:

Edited by CM1021

Yep, you've pretty much got the nuts and bolts of it in the responses here. Like as was stated, the burn-out rate is very high. I spent a few years on the unit and then another year and a half as a FF/EMT before going into law enforcement. I don't think you could pay me enough to get back on another unit. I keep my license current (just the state license, not the national registry crap) just because the city I work for pays me extra for having it. My wife is a paramedic, but after several years on the unit, she was beyond burnt out as well. For the last 6 or so years, she has been working in an emergency room as a paramedic and is much happier. Of course, in the hospital setting you will notice that you do more than the RN's but get paid much less, so she's working (slowly - ugh) on getting her RN.

I would never advise against getting your EMT license. Like WD said, you'll gain knowledge and skills that will be practical for the rest of your life. Just be prepared for what it's going to be like. Ride along on an ALS unit in a 911 setting or, better yet, watch "Bringing Out The Dead" with Nicholas Cage. That'll give you a little insight! ;)

Good luck with it if you decide to go for it.

• Like 1

I am a Paramedic in the Nashville area. It is a good career and a very rewarding job. The three EMT programs in the Nashville area are Columbia State, Vol State, and MTSU. I am kind of partial to MTSU's program. I will disclose that it is a biased opinion, and all three are great programs. If you have any questions regarding the field, don't hesitate to ask.

I have been on a 911 ambulance for 10 years. Burnout is higher in this line of work that a lot of others, but I have managed to avoid it. I work a 24 hour shift followed by 48 hours off. It sounds terrible, but it's only 10 days a month of work! I couldn't imagine having to work 5 days a week. I have had numerous combative patients, but have never been assaulted, injured by a patient, or scared for my safety. LEO's take great care of us and help to "calm" combative patients :)

I really am interested, but the thought of more schooling is not appealing. I just completed my phd and I really don't even like school! BUT, I do weant to help people and be there for friends and family if ever needed. Now, if I can just get someone to pay for my school and figure a way to keep working while I am attending...