.308 chamber reamer

Any of you guys own a reamer for .308 winchester? I'm trying to get a rifle that I built several years ago, back. If I can get a good enough deal on it, I'll buy it. Only, I built it in .300 savage. If I get it back, I want to open the chamber up to .308 win.

SO, if you have one I wouldn't mind renting/borrowing it, I don't have to actually cut a chamber with it. I just need to adjust the existing chamber a little. .300 and 308 are very close.

If I had the money, I'd have Manson reamers make me a custom reamer; A 308 case, but with a long neck length like a 30/30. Forming them from 30/06 would be a breeze. The long neck would be awesome for cast boolits.

• Like 1

I'm just curious. If your primary purpose is shooting cast bullets, then you're not really looking for the extra 200 fps that the .308 has over the .300 Sav, right? (I'm speculating here). So, what is the purpose of reaming the chamber to .308? I'm guessing it is the extra neck length, like you mentioned.

So how about leaving (most of) the chamber alone and reaming the neck and throat to .308 length? Then all you'd need to do would be to set the shoulder back on some .308 brass to match the .300 Sav body and shoulder but leave a longer neck. So you basically have a .300 Savage "Long-Neck". Approximately, .365". I think PTG already has the correct reamers. You would probably need to ream the case necks to the correct thickness. I've formed .300 Sav cases from 7.62 and the necks have been too thick. IME. The same would probably hold true for .30-06 cases formed to a "Long-Neck" .308 case, as well.

http://www.pacificto...er.htm#nandtrmr

The benefits? Less chamber reaming. Less case capacity. Cheaper brass to form. Cheaper reamer cost, I think.

I'm just throwing this out there, of course. If I had a .308 reamer, I'd be happy to loan it to you. I've been wanting to get one for a while, but haven't done it yet.

Will

Well, if I ever take the notion to stick those nasty copper condoms in the rifle, I'd like to be able to do so. I have a PILE of surplus 7,62. I don't shoot much of it but I have been known to on occasion.

Gotcha. I had an idea rolling around in the vast expanses of my head of buying a beater Savage 99 in .300 and reaming it to .308. Since the .308s are harder to find and usually more expensive when I see them.

But I put that on the back burner a while back, so I never got around to getting either the rifle or the reamer. At least I don't THINK I bought the reamer. I'll check my toolbox....