Good Long range Shooting, production rifle?

CM1021

I am looking at picking up a rifle to do some long range shooting here in the near future. I am wanting the rifle to be in .308 winchester and I will be reloading. Any help and suggestions you guys can give me I really appreciate it. I have looked at savages, and the remingtons and am leaning more towards the savage due to the accu-trigger. I will be taking shots out to 1000 yds after I am comfortable with my shooting. I might also take the rifle hunting so I'm not looking for a super heavy table rifle.

Thanks,

CM1021

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I figured the rifle will weigh about 10-12 lbs roughly...and glass I have heard as you said will be the biggest part. also would like to keep the cost to around 8-900... and I don't care at all to buy used!!

I am looking at the Savage Model 10/110 FCP HS Precision...I have found one for 989 new but I wouldn't mind buying one used if I could get it at a good price...anybody know what the street price on these are?

Guest USMC 2013

You can find any of the Savage police model, sniper models or heavy barreled models used for real cheap. A lot of people buy these for long range shooting, then realize they don't shoot them enough to justify keeping them and sell them cheap. Also look for their F class, Palma class or any of their Target Series rifles. Again, people buy them, try to take one deer hunting and/or just realize they don't want that much $ tied up in a bench type gun and sell them at a nice discount.

In my opinion, you cannot beat a Savage for bang for the buck straight out of the box. Semper Fi,

Joe

I am looking at the Savage Model 10/110 FCP HS Precision...I have found one for 989 new but I wouldn't mind buying one used if I could get it at a good price...anybody know what the street price on these are?

I have the Savage 110 FCP HS Precision in 338 Lapua Mag and it was I think $1250 OTD, I was originally waiting to get the 110 FCP HS in 300 win mag but they took to long to release it, Budsgunshop(Online Store) has the 110 HS in 300 Win Mag for $952 shipping is free so it would be whatever your ffl charges you for the transfer plus BG check which for me would be $982 roughly OTD. By the way at buds the Model 10 FCP HS 308 is the same price as the 110 in 300 win mag (They have both in stock).

Out of the box it is going to be hard to beat a Remington 700 R5 for accuracy.

And there goes his budget without the glass.

And most Savages will outshoot most Remingtons out of the box. Not saying all will outshoot all but most will.

To stay within your budget get a Savage and then shop around for a scope. Wonder optics makes a great scope for the money. They have everything you would need to reach 1,000 without all the extra stuff you don't. Muelller also makes a decent scope in the $300 range as does Hawke.

http://www.sightwonders.com/wotac-rifle-scopes.html

And one great thing aobut a Savage is you can swap calibers yourself, at home without the need of a smith. Can't say that about Remington. I have several Savages and I can do a caliber swap in 10 minutes. All it takes is a $30 wrench and a sized peice of brass or the loaded rounds you intend to shoot. Basically you chamber the round then screw the barrel down onto it until snug then tighten the barrel nut. It is literally that simple. You want minimum headspace on any gun. Minimum will not get you into trouble but too much will.

With Remington the barrel needs to be fit because of the shoulder and that requires equipment and expertise. And rarely does a factory take off Remington barrel from another gun headspace correctly on a different receiver. It does happen from time to time but if you are wrong the results can be disaterous.

And another advantage is this keeps the chamber specs to a minimum which keeps your brass from growing. And when you brass doesn't grow it lasts MUCH longer. I have some cases that have at least 15 loadings on.

Dolomite

the other day in dickson they had the M 10 police model i think with a heavy barrel , with a accu stock, accu trigger and even a threaded barrel, new around $750 i think it was

i totally agree on the remington 5R milspec. best gun out of te box that ive shot so far. it will however, cost your buget wthout the scope.

my last build was a remington 700 AAC-SD with a Millett TRS-1 scope and it did geat out to 770 yards. it would be right at $1k depending on base and rings. ive used Weaver tactical bases andrings and for cheap ones, they work well enough.

my first build would be more inline with your budget as it was a remington 700 SPS-Varmint and i put a 5R take-off stock on it with a Super Sniper 10x scope. it has a 1:12 twist in it so shooting heavy enough bullets toget to 1k reliably is hit or miss. i hadto load for mine to even do decent with 175gr bullets. did best with 168gr but those get shaky past 800 yards.

Seriously, Savage is the way to go if you are a tinkerer. If you like the idea of being able to swap calibers in 10 minutes and for less than $200 then Savage is the way to go. You can have a 223 varmint gun or a gun capable of taking any north American game in less than 15 minutes.

If you are one of those who like to just bolt stuff on your gun then get a Remington.

Like I said before a Savage generally beats a Remington in accuracy. Now some Remingtons might be some Savages but as a general rule Savage is the one for accuracy. To give you an idea. When I was looking for my first precision long gun. I asked a long time long range competition shooter what was the most accurate gun out of the box. He said that without a doubt it would be a Savage.

When Savage started building their model 10/110 they were looking for a way to build a rifle economically. This is why every parts of the bolt is a single unit. Well it turns out their floating bolt head actually improves accuracy. The reason is both of the locking lugs are against the shoulder even if things might be a little off. Now with a Remington and the bolt lugs attached permanently to the bolt you have to generally lap the lugs to get the to have the same contact as a Savage. Another advantage of the floating bolt head is it is easily replaced. I use the same gun for 223, 7.62x39 and 308 and all have different bolt head diameters. The bolt heads for a Savage cost $20 but for a remington you have to buy a seperate bolt which will be at least $150 for each caliber.

You can pick up additional factory sporter barrels for around $150 new or less than $75 used. You can pick up heavy target style barrels for around $200 new or $150 used. Or you can buy drop in match barrels made by big name manufacturers for around $300.

Dolomite

I cannot be more pleased with my two recent Savage purchases. One a TRR-SR .22LR and the other a .308 10BA both from D&T. Both have totally exceeded my expectations on accuracy. Both are out of the box guns. To date, the .22 has shot a best of 1 hole cloverleaf using Eley at 50 yards. A sub MOA .900" at 100 yards using Blazer.

The BA shoots .5 MOA or better at 400. Has done a best 5 round group of 2" at 400 yards and 3 round of 1.5" at 400 yards. Both are amazing guns.

I like Remington's a bit better than I like Savages, don't get me wrong my Savage 10FP was just as accurate as my Remingtons, but I didn't care for the feel of the accu-trigger or the sloppy feeling bolt, none of that effected the rifles preformance mind you, but the better feeling ergonomics on the Remington 700 is worth the extra money, at least IMHO.