How to get the wife to carry.

I have heard this from umpteen guys: my wife has a permit but I can't get her to carry one. I know because I'm one of those guys. The best I've been able to do is get my wife (a 7 yr permit holder btw) to carry a Smith Safety Hammerless Centennial in .38S&W in the bag she keeps the rest of us work stuff in. Zipped in a case. I guess if she has warning she could get it out and use it. But a .38S&W LRN isn't anybody's idea of a man-stopper. And she understands the importance of having one too, is the funny thing.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest CleanSeries80

my grandmother got her permit around the same time i did and i can't get her to carry either. then well my wife thinks i don't need to carry whenever i leave the house....so i just sneak out another gun. my argument is having a permit and not carrying is like spending money on a security system that you never use. why have it?

• Administrator

My wife is more than willing to carry once she has her HCP. She's just facing the same predicament a lot of women do; how to conceal it.

We're looking at buying her a S&W 442 this weekend, then spiffing it up a little for her. The best thing we can come up with so far is to carry in an OWB holster that rides very high on the belt and would allow it to disappear under an overshirt or loose t-shirt.

Her particular "problem" (if you can call it that) is that she is about 6' tall, very slender and likes to wear fitted clothes. Those factors combine to make her really damn hot to me, but also really hard for her to carry a concealed firearm.

The kicker? When I mentioned carrying in her purse she immediately replied "That's the stupidest idea. My purse is the first thing someone would try to grab."

All that and brains too. :)

Guest Bronker

Ditto, Tungsten.

Same predicament. My wife is very tall as well, and her clothes are tight-fitting (shha-wing!!!:)).

Ironically, she is going to carry a 442 S&W until she becomes more proficient with an auto. Right now it rides in a desantis nemesis pocket holster, perched on a very tall cabinet at the foot of the steps. Whenever she must answer the door when I am not home, she tucks the whole rig into her waistband at 4:00. When her HCP arrives, she intends to do the same with a IWB small holster at the same position (with a belt clip of course). Otherwise, she will likely put it in a pocket of slacks. The high-ride IWB at 4:00 seems to be the most logical, and attire-friendly.

I guess she will purse it on occasion, but she had the same idea your wife had. So to answer your question, they are smarter than us.

She does, however, need to work on realizing the importance of this HCP, and to come to a better realization of the real threat she could face. She has somewhat of 'rose-colored-glasses' view of things, much moreso than I do. Her situational awareness needs to be tweeked up a couple of degrees.

I may be paranoid...but I am also PREPARED.

Good thread, guys.

Guest Bronker

Blessed, my friend. I married way out of my league.

I carried my 442 for 7 years, but my wife and her little hands, can stack bullets in a worm hole at 7 yards. Natural talent at anything she does.

But, she needs the 'mindset' of the carry, that is just as important as the proficiency with the weapon.

Guest Natosha

Rabbi- I think that I will not carry all the time either. Even with everyone saying I should. I know the importance but I also feel safe most of the time. I don't know what kind of advice to give you on how to get your wife to carry. I guess it is just a personal preference. I mostly want a gun because I am home all day alone with my son. I also babysit a little girl. So I want to be able to protect us at home. I keep my doors locked but you never know. People can get in if they want to. I also will carry when I know I am going to be out when it is dark or getting dark and if I am going to alone. I love to take my son for walks so I will carry then if I don't' have someone to go with me. :)

OK I too worry about how to conceal the gun. I will have a glock 26. I too, wear form fitted clothing. (Actually a man at the gun shop the other day said I will have to stop wearing my tight little shirts! HA!) But I am going to get me Ruger LCP to carry most of the time. I will just use a paddle case on my hip. Even with form fitted clothing someone would just think it is a cell phone case.

I will probably carry my Glock in the winter and my LCP in the summer months. I have to get my permit and guns first. HA!

• Administrator

You know... I can't help but wonder if a woman carrying a firearm openly on her hip would be given the same scrutiny by the unwashed masses that a male carrying openly sometimes receives.

Color me sexist, but I think that people by and large tend to not perceive women as being "threatening" in appearance the way that they do men. Especially if the men are carrying a gun.

Might be a good social experiment. :)

You know... I can't help but wonder if a woman carrying a firearm openly on her hip would be given the same scrutiny by the unwashed masses that a male carrying openly sometimes receives.

That is an excellent point.

Guest Angel 24/7

Maybe. If we walk into a auto parts store they assume "damnit a women". Sociaty will never change. If I am with Allan it is completely different. Allan I should try that when our permits come in!

I have heard this from umpteen guys: my wife has a permit but I can't get her to carry one. I know because I'm one of those guys. The best I've been able to do is get my wife (a 7 yr permit holder btw) to carry a Smith Safety Hammerless Centennial in .38S&W in the bag she keeps the rest of us work stuff in. Zipped in a case. I guess if she has warning she could get it out and use it. But a .38S&W LRN isn't anybody's idea of a man-stopper. And she understands the importance of having one too, is the funny thing.

My bride passed the permit class with me many years ago but decided not to apply for the permit because 1) She is an instructor at a community college and would have to leave it in her vehicle, 2) She isn't sure she would use it on another human being. :: shrugs:: I have to concur that if she wouldn't use it she shouldn't carry it though I feel that someone intending to do her harm may not qualify as a human being :D

The classes did get her interested in joining me in shooting competitive bullseye.

Edited by Tim Nunan
Guest eyebedam

Just say. Woman I run things round here & your gonna carry a gun like it or not. Unless you wanna get dealt with. Im the Rabbi you better reconize, you dont want me to have to lay the pimp hand down!

Try it & let me know if it works.

Guest Angel 24/7

I have no desire to harm another human being.It breaks my heart to kill a bug! but, I travel alot to Nashville with my kids. I want to know I can protect them if I had to or myself. I can't wear my gun at work either, but it can be in my car, if that would make a difference.

Guest Angel 24/7
Just say. Woman I run things round here & your gonna carry a gun like it or not. Unless you wanna get dealt with. Im the Rabbi you better reconize, you dont want me to have to lay the pimp hand down!

I take it, You are NOT married!:D

Guest eyebedam

I am with three lovely little girls. If you noticed the try it out part at the bottom & let me know if it works. I know what my wife would do.

No thanks. I'd rather live to an old age with my organs intact.

My wife actually doesnt need to carry a gun. She's so mean she inserts the bullets manually.

Guest eyebedam
No thanks. I'd rather live to an old age with my organs intact.

My wife actually doesnt need to carry a gun. She's so mean she inserts the bullets manually.

My wife is the same way. I wish there was a magic answer. My wife absolutly hates guns. I've tried to get her to go to the range with me she refuses. I wanted her to get her permit. And she had no desire.

Guest eyebedam

thats what my wife says. I always try to Ise well what if I'm not with you. Then I get the change the subject stare.

Guest Angel 24/7

Well ,I don't know? Has she researched some stories on people that had a HCP & it saved their lives. Or people that didn't & was killed? If not have her look maybe that would help. It did me.

Guest Natosha

I think it is personal choice. I for one wouldn't want someone pressuring me to carry. I mean, if she doesn't feel comfy carrying it then it isn't going to do her any good anyway. A fear of mine is what if they take the gun away from me and then what. So I am the one that has to way out the pros and cons. Good luck!

My wife is the same way. I wish there was a magic answer. My wife absolutly hates guns. I've tried to get her to go to the range with me she refuses. I wanted her to get her permit. And she had no desire.

Angel was the exact same way until a couple of months ago. I don't know it was like a light switch or something. One day compleatly against, the next ALL FOR:clap:.

Guest MrsS

I can't carry at work and I don't leave my firearm in my car while at work...with the type of populataion I deal with, I don't want to risk someone breaking in my car and finding my gun....I carry when I travel (all the states I go through and stay have recips with TN) and I carry around my home/property and anywhere else that doesn't forbid handguns.