How to get the wife to carry.

Guest Angel 24/7

I was raised by a democrat that did not believe in guns. I did the research, I listened, I tried it! I am more concerned about safty in the house with a 3 year old. and we bought a safe for them!Just like on the news this week about the little boy shooting his sister the father is in jail for neglect & his child just died. Yes, I thought Allan would always be there to protect me. but what if he died tomorrow? I have 2 kids & be alone?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a strange situation with my wife, she stolre my keltec p3at when she got her permit, didn't like how it shot, "hurt her hand", so I bought her a "lady Smith" in 9mm, shoots it fine likes it but I can't get her to carry it for the life of me. N ow "most" of the time she is with me but once in a while she goes out alone and unarmed and I can't get her to under stand that then is when she NEEDS to be aermed.

You know... I can't help but wonder if a woman carrying a firearm openly on her hip would be given the same scrutiny by the unwashed masses that a male carrying openly sometimes receives.

Color me sexist, but I think that people by and large tend to not perceive women as being "threatening" in appearance the way that they do men. Especially if the men are carrying a gun.

Might be a good social experiment. :tinfoil:

Might be. Recently, in a restaurant I saw a teeny tiny woman in a sharp suit without the jacket with a big Glock on her hip. Right or wrong I automatically thought she was a LEO. I don't know if she was but I'd think the same thing if it were a guy because I've not noticed anyone carrying open unless they were LEOs. In fact, I rarely notice guns on folks. Maybe I don't have the trained eye.

When I do receive my permit (on the way, I hope) I probably won't carry often. It's not allowed where I work and I would fear for the safety of my gun if left in the car. I also enjoy going to the library (not allowed) and walking the trails in the local parks (not allowed and really needed). I visit restaurants mostly on lunch break from work so I wouldn't have my gun with me. Other times restaurants are hit and miss so if the restaurant has a sign I'd have to turn around and discretely put it in my car or whomever's car.

Now Wally World would be a big fat YES. rock-1.gif

Just say. Woman I run things round here & your gonna carry a gun like it or not. Unless you wanna get dealt with. Im the Rabbi you better reconize, you dont want me to have to lay the pimp hand down!

Try it & let me know if it works.

It works.

Guest Boomhower

When my wife and I were first married, she did not like the sight of guns:hiding:. At first, she would not even think about touching a gun, and then after seeing them so much (by my consistent fondling :D), she got to the stage where she would pinch it between her index and thumb as if it were a "yucky :yuck:" bug being carried off to the porcelain watering hole. Now after 3 yrs. and several guns later, she told me the other day that she wanted to shoot my EMP :D. She's shot with me once, but she really only likes the .22's. But the good thing is that she now sees a reason to get her own HCP. That reason being a 4 month old little tater. We were waiting until after the birth for her to take the course, we just didn't imagine the economy would take a big crap, and the cost of living would increase so much. Now we're tapped out, and she's chit outta luck for a while. Oh well, it's not like she really goes anywhere without me anyways.

I am planning on taking my permit class in June and right now I dont go anywhere except work, where I cant carry, without my husband so I probably wont carry much right now.

However, were expecting our first child in January and then I will be spending a considerable amount of time without him and I intend to carry when he is not around. I want to be able to protect myself, our child and our home when I'm alone.

I bought a gun that will be fairly easy to conceal but I will be adjusting my wardrobe to a more carry friendly style when Im alone. When Im with my husband and dont need to carry then I will wear my more fitted clothes. After all, hes the one that should be enjoying the view :D My safety is more important to me than looking good while Im buying diapers at Target.

Guest clutepc

Rabbi, we talked about this the other day when I was in your shop but my wife wants to know she can keep someone from getting it from her before she starts to carry.

I have to say I can't really argue that one, so I need to find a good class that will help her with that.

It would probably have to be something directed toward women and teach different steps to prevent it, it wouldn't hurt if they also talked about different ways for women to carry in general.

Not sure if there is such a class around for women but you never know.

A Female officer teaching it would probably fill a few classes I'm sure.

To keep someone from getting it from her is relatively simple.

When faced with a miscreant offering an obvious threat, she should hold the gun firmly, pointed in the miscreant's direction. The she should pull the trigger. She should keep doing this until the threat disappears or she is dead/mortally wounded or out of ammo.

I am not aware of many cases where the gun was taken out of someone's hand. This is a canard often used to discourage people from carrying.

Guest jackdog

I got Susan reading stories about HCP people saving themselves ETC. She carried part time but the G27 is hard for her to conceal. Ended up buying Her A kel Tec PF9, (her choice). Built her a couple of holsters, until we got the fit and feel she likes. Now it's like american express, never leaves home with out it.

I agree with Rabbi NOW.......but when I first started talking about getting my HCP one of my friends (a woman) started telling me that I had better really think about it all and she was asking questions like "what if everyone started carrying because they felt threatened" and "what if someone took my gun away from me" and "what if blah blah blah". What that caused of course was me thinking about someone taking my gun from me and killing me with it. That wasn't such a good feeling at all to think someone would take MY OWN gun from me and use it on ME.

When I get something on my mind I have to analize it and toss and turn at night with it and I either come up with a solution and have peace with it or I don't sleep until I do. It took a while honestly to do so because I was new to all this. What helped was practise and practise and MORE practise until I got comfortable with shooting and with handling a gun. Do I think someone could take my gun away from me now? Of course there is always a chance but if someone is a threat to me then when I pull my gun I will use it before they have a chance to take it. I know that is a mouthfull and I know it would be hard to do but if I am not willing to protect myself then I don't need to carry.

Public library's are legal to carry in.However the library board supposedly has banned guns,but there are no signs posted making it perfectly legal to carry there.

The La Vergne library I frequent does have a proper sign.

Guest Angel 24/7
I agree with Rabbi NOW.......but when I first started talking about getting my HCP one of my friends (a woman) started telling me that I had better really think about it all and she was asking questions like "what if everyone started carrying because they felt threatened" and "what if someone took my gun away from me" and "what if blah blah blah". What that caused of course was me thinking about someone taking my gun from me and killing me with it. That wasn't such a good feeling at all to think someone would take MY OWN gun from me and use it on ME.

When I get something on my mind I have to analize it and toss and turn at night with it and I either come up with a solution and have peace with it or I don't sleep until I do. It took a while honestly to do so because I was new to all this. What helped was practise and practise and MORE practise until I got comfortable with shooting and with handling a gun. Do I think someone could take my gun away from me now? Of course there is always a chance but if someone is a threat to me then when I pull my gun I will use it before they have a chance to take it. I know that is a mouthfull and I know it would be hard to do but if I am not willing to protect myself then I don't need to carry.

You have voices too?????:blink:

Guest Taurus Pro

My wife carries a 380 in her purse, we had the inside of the purse specially made for her gun , we had a holster sewn into a Louie Vattan purse for her.

She loves carrying a Side arm.

FullMetal

For what it's worth, here's my .02 about carrying your gun in your purse........DON'T!!!!

I used to carry in my purse if I was going somewhere that I felt fairly safe. I would only carry on my person if I was going fishing, hiking, or somewhere off the beaten path....or anywhere I thought might possibly be dangerous.

I was in the Walmart parking lot one day putting my groceries in the trunk and my purse was stolen.....with my gun in it......one of those distract and grab scams. They were long gone before I noticed my purse was missing.

Luckily, it wasn't a violent crime....but it still got me thinking. "Stuff" can happen FAST and unexpectedly and having your gun on your body at all times is the best way to be ready for anything, anytime. The extra few seconds it takes to get your gun out of your purse could cost you your life.....not to mention that a thief will go straight for the purse.

• Administrator

Here's my serious suggestion for the day...

Rabbi, perhaps bring her to one of the Meet & Shoots and let her hang around some of the other ladies. As they are wont to do, women talk amongst themselves and they might provide all the impetus your wife needs.

Granted, most of the Meets happen on Saturdays and that makes it a bit difficult for you ... but maybe a Sunday get together will happen one day. You know us Gentiles; we tend to do everything but rest on our 7th day. :D