Anyone with this target?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing you will find will readily take a beating from a bottleneck rifle round. These targets are made for softer, slower pistol cartridges like 9mm, 38, 40, 45, etc.

We have some armor 2" thick plates at my club and you wouldn't want to be within 25 yards of one of them when a .223 or .30 hits them.

So I just read...ugh.

.22 Rim Fire, 9mm, .38, .45acp - 8 yards

.357, .40 SW, .44 mag - 12 yards

Shotgun w/ lead bird shot - 12 yards

Shotgun w/ std velocity 00 buck - 20 yards

Shotgun w/ std velocity slug - 50 yards

.30-30 - 100 yards

.308, .30-06 - 150 yards

.223 - 200 yards

.22-250 - 300 yards

300 Win Mag – 400 yards

With the rifle it is more a matter of keeping your distance so you don't damage the target. Once

you damage the target, it becomes unsafe at closer ranges under 50 yards.

Another way to look at this is to keep your impact velocity under 2600 fps to avoid damage.

Guest canebreaker

We shoot some home made steel targets kinda that style at the range. No jacketed bullets allowed.

sassnet.com

Edited by canebreaker

A friend of mine has railroad crosstie plates hanging under his target frames at the range behind his house. They seem to work really well. Take a beating from even larger caliber weapons and the swing tends to absorb energy and deflect rounds down.

JTM🔫

Sent from my iPhone

I believe these are the same targets that hickok45 uses on his range. I purchased 4 of the circular plates, 2 - 6", 1 - 8", and 1 - 10" . I only use them for pistols. I've heard you are supposed to keep your pistol / rifle steel separate.

I hang them off of shepherd's hooks I bought at Walmart (again, a suggestion from Hickok45's YouTube videos). The targets have held up well to 9mm, .45, .380, .22, .38 sp, and .357. (I think we even shot some 10mm at them ... can't remember). I shoot them at 12+ yards, and I have been quite happy. I plan to purchase a couple of the IPSC torso size plates next time I save up for some new steel targets.

I love going to the range to shoot paper targets, but there's just nothing like hearing that PING every time you score a hit. I buy cheap spray paint from walmart and paint the targets at the beginning of a range session, then flip them about midway through. (I've read that the heat from repeatedly hitting the same side can cause the target to warp, so you wanna try to wear them evenly on both sides).

Head down to Predator Custom shop. They have AR500 steel targets in their lobby.

Shooting steel is very, very fun.

From those specs it looks like it might not be AR500, which is pretty much the standard for steel targets. I have 1/4 thick AR500. They will stand up to 223 at 100 yards and any "normal" caliber pistol at 25 yards.

Dolomite

Edited by Dolomite_supafly

We had some armor plate overseas that we pulled from junk vehicles and cut into targets. that stuff was 3/8" thick and we shot it all the time with M855 inside of 50 yard with ZERO damage. We could find the steel cores on the ground in front of the targets.

I wish I could find some of that stuff over here.

Dolomite

we have several like that from MGM and the are on sale this month. you also get a 30% offset so you can shoot that at close range. we have shot them with pistol and AR.s at 15 yards or so and 30% downward angle so all the splater goes to the ground and all there targets are 500 brenell hardness. at Ft. Benning we shot some at some with a belt fed green tip at maybe 30 yards, after 3 days and around 300 shooters nothing shot through the steel.

• 4 weeks later...

I have access to some of these targets. Ranges listed are pretty accurate, i have shot .223 frange @ 100 yrds without any dimpling. You have to carry extra bolts with you...occationally you shoot one though. I also have some 3/8 thick AR500 hanging from chains I shoot @ 100 yrds with no problem 193. If you dimple your steel you can get some bad splatter when shooting close with pistol.

I have a 3/4 thick steel griddle plate at the house, 223, 7.62-39 and my 308 makes a crater in it.

The range I go to has plates hanging at 100, 200 and 300 yards that my 308 splatter off of.

I think they are AR500 steel, We cant shoot 50 cal at them.

Yes shooting steel is much better that paper, ya get to hear it!!!