Anyone recently transfered an out of state permit for a Tennessee permit?

Went and did my app this morning. I was just wondering what all the process is? The lady at the service center was kind of lost being my permit was from out of state. All she said was it will arrive in the mail. I was wondering how long I will wait? And what happens now in the Tennessee process.

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

All else being equal, people generally get their permit within a month. Not sure how it works for out of state people.

I transferred mine from WV a couple years ago, it was a small hassle due to the fact that the WV permit had no picture of me, and was mostly handwritten on a half sheet of card stock. After the main office in Nashville called and another copy of my WV permit was sent in I received my THP within a couple weeks.

I transferred mine from WV a couple years ago, it was a small hassle due to the fact that the WV permit had no picture of me, and was mostly handwritten on a half sheet of card stock. After the main office in Nashville called and another copy of my WV permit was sent in I received my THP within a couple weeks.

Yeah that was one of the 'BIG' deals they made was my Indiana permit has no picture its just a pink piece of printing paper. That and Indiana has an option for a "Lifetime" permit. And they were making a big deal cuz it has no expiration date.

Was just wondering cuz the lady was pretty insistant that someone from the big city(Nashville) would be calling. But she told me 90 days, I thought that was a long wait.

Edited by williamsburg10
Guest 270win

I have done it several years ago. I had an Arkansas concealed handgun license and went to the highway patrol office in Memphis on Summer. The people in Memphis had to call Nashville to find out what to do when I was already there switching DL's. About two or three weeks later the main office in Nashville called and told me I passed the background check but that they needed a copy of my Arkansas CHL to finish processing my TN handgun carry permit. They said the Summer office in Memphis should have sent that to them. So I faxed a copy of my Arkansas license to Nashville and quickly got my handgun carry permit within a week or two. I did not have to get fingerprinted or take the class here because I already did a class, live fire qualification, and fingerprinted in Arkansas. Fifty dollars was what my permit cost in TN VS 250 total in Arkansas.

• 2 weeks later...

I transferred mine from Florida about two years ago and it took me about a month.

Transferring from Florida, did you need to do anything besides present your current license and pay the money?

Transferring from Florida, did you need to do anything besides present your current license and pay the money?

"Florida

Applicant must be twenty-one (21), complete a DOS approved handgun safety course, complete the Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit application, provide proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residency, and pay the applicable renewal fee.

(Florida requires fingerprinting but does not require a safety course.) "

- OS

I had to take a safety course in FL, do I have to take another one in TN? I guess I'm wondering why TN adds that to the requirement when it was already required by FL. (I've had my permit about 8 years, can't find a certificate from class).

Edited by Irie

I had to take a safety course in FL, do I have to take another one in TN? I guess I'm wondering why TN adds that to the requirement when it was already required by FL. (I've had my permit about 8 years, can't find a certificate from class).

I don't know the answer to that. The statement above is from TNDOS site that lists requirements for those with out of state permits:

http://www.tn.gov/safety/handgun/apprequirements.shtml

It may be that FL allows various "certificates of training" that TN doesn't see as meeting same standards, I really dunno.

- OS

I transferred mine from Florida about two years ago and it took me about a month.

Same here... Once I submitted the paper work it took less than a month. With my Florida permit I still had to take the one day HCP course. Was not required to get finger printed again and the fee was the same cost as a renewal.

Same here... Once I submitted the paper work it took less than a month. With my Florida permit I still had to take the one day HCP course. Was not required to get finger printed again and the fee was the same cost as a renewal.

Yep, exactly what I quoted above from TNDOS, so it must be correct.

- OS

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question about the OP. In Indiana you must notify them within 60 days after you move that you moved. It is around day 55-56. Is there a person to call or site to check for the status of my "transfer"? I don't want to do anything wrong where Indiana is concerned, but I also don't want to notify Indiana yet because once I do my VALID Indiana permit will become INVALID once I notify of address change. And I'm suppose to have a valid Permit to transfer to a TN HCP.

Thanks.

My wife and I transferred out concealed carry from Ohio about 2 1/2 years ago. I feel it was a bit too painless. I really don't know the differences in the laws between the two states. "Yea, I know the gun grabbers are reading this too." Anybody got a list of the differences?

• 3 weeks later...

All else being equal, people generally get their permit within a month. Not sure how it works for out of state people.

Update: I took my class 6/2, turned in paperwork 6/4, issued 7/10, received 7/21.

So it looks like it is about 5 weeks of waiting time. Plus the snailmail drag.

• 3 weeks later...