Travel to South Carolina

Guest infinity40

Guest infinity40

We are going to Charleston SC for the weekend. We will be traveling through North Carolina. Can anyone give me some specifics on packing in these two states? I looked at the state laws but it's all a bit confusing.

Does anyone have any personal experience?

I figure with vacation season coming up this might be a relevant topic.

Edited by infinity40
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My experience with Darlington a couple of years ago.

I just went through this same situation yesterday, Darlington Co. Sheriffs Dept SC pulled me over, I may have been speeding a little. As soon as he approached the truck I knew what attitude he was going to have. Produced my permit and he had me place my carry in the pass. seat and step out of the truck.

He started with "Why do you carry that like that?" Then he proceeded to pat me down and I informed him about my pocket knife and a speed loader I had in my pocket..... "Why do you have a speed loader?".... He didn't even bother to take my knife from me.

Long story short he tossed my truck and ran the serial on my carry and the 2 others I had in my range bag (unloaded and mags empty). His backup was nothing but nice and mentioned that state law was to have the other locked up out of the pass. compartment..... It is a truck.... The first officer calmed down after tossing my truck and I guess the small talk I was making with the other officer, joking a little about me running when I stretched my back (I had been on the road for about 10hrs at this point) and stating he had his hopes up for the first ticket/arrest of the day.

All in all the first officer calmed down and became courteous and the second was nothing but courteous. I received a written warning for failure to maintain lane, I guess he had to charge me with something for pulling me over, less paperwork is my thought and they both shook my hand and told me to have a safe trip and fun at the range.

The first officer kept fondling my .45 but just checked the XD and put it down. They were both making over the .45. laugh.png

Guest infinity40

Cannon that was a good story. I got pulled over one time by a VA trooper for passing him. He was doing 55 and I was doing 56. It took me 5 minutes to pass him. When I got back in the right lane he pulled me over. He didn't give me a ticket but he was a real butt hole. He gave me a stern lecture about passing a State Trooper and swore he could write me a ticket if he wanted to. LOL!

Thanks for the info guys. We are going to Charleston SC for the weekend for my wife's birthday. I have the FEG PA-63 in the camera bag (along with my camera) and my 1911 in the glove box. We almost got mugged there a few years back and while I have no doubt we will have a safe journey this time, I feel better about our safety.

Come to think of it I didn't see any limits on the number of guns I could cary in NC and SC...

Edited by infinity40