Passengers with HCP and car gets pulled over

Guest MrsS

Guest canynracer

If I were the passenger and was engaged by the officer, yes...if the officer asked about weapons in the car, I would let the driver say, we all have our permits...

I guess it would all depend on the situation....

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should immediately inform the officer of the number and type of weapons in the car. You should offer to allow him to search not only the car very thoroughly but your persons as well. After all, you want to be courteous to the nice man and have nothing to hide.:death:

Guest canynracer

OOOOORRRRrrr.....just sit there, when they speak to you, say nothing, I mean, its not against the law...you dont have to say a WORD to them unless asked specifics...you arent driving and they are ONLY there to arrest you, why should you make it easy, its not the law....screw em...they are there to take your RIGHTS AWAY, all of em, it starts with the passengers, then they follow you home and search your house, they inventory everything, then they put it in the log books because the first time something happens they are coming to YOUR house first to disarm you and make you work in the pig pits because that is whats best for the nation, they are there to hinder your life, nothing more, they are going to take your guns, they are using this one stop as the groundwork to destroy the consitution....:death::tinfoil::tinfoil:

but then again, they may just want to make sure your not a murderer....NAAAAWWW, its the other thing....

***DISCLAIMER*** Do not follow this advice, it is obviously said in jest...the reality is it doesnt go this way. ***/end disclaimer***

just do what you think is best for the situation :D

It is amazing to me the number of people that say as a driver they would hand over their HCP with their DL, but as a passenger just sit there quietly. What's the difference?

You may be thinking as a passenger he may not ask for your ID or check you DL...and that is true, but the same is true for the driver. Last time I was stopped a few years ago on the motorcycle, the trooper asked to see my DL and proof of insurance, showed him both, he never ran my DL through the computer, told me to slow down and that was it. Hell let's say he ran my tag before he stopped me and a "GOOD dispatcher" already ran my DL and told him I had a HCP, he never asked me about it. Just for the record, I wasn't armed at the time either, but of course it would still show a valid HCP upon a check.

To me the reasons to keep quite as a passenger is the same reason as if you are the driver, don't create an issue where their isn't one.

The police have a pretty good lobby, if they want to change the law to must notify, I'm sure they could get it done, and all those that 100% of the time hand over their HCP without being asked can help them.

I said in the other thread if you want to hand over your HCP with your DL fine, if not fine....just find it a little ironic that it seems to make a difference what seat you're sitting in as to what you do.

I think some of this might have had to do with The Rabbi's post.

Edited by Fallguy
Guest titanwolf
If I were a passenger, if I were not asked I would not say a word. I mean if I'm walking down the street and pass a cop, I'm not going call him over and say " I just thought you would like to know I have a HCP and I am armed".

agreed

To me the reasons to keep quite as a passenger is the same reason as if you are the driver, don't create an issue where their isn't one.

The police have a pretty good lobby, if they want to change the law to must notify, I'm sure they could get it done, and all those that 100% of the time hand over their HCP without being asked can help them.

Bingo. Why create additional issues where they dont exist. The purpose of the stop was because the officer noticed some violation of traffic/motor vehicle law. Deal with that. Get it done. Move on.

Would you start the conversation with "gee officer I only had one beer and that was hours ago"? Don't do it.

I had a customer in the other day who also works in a gun shop and sees lots of LEOs. He said their attitude is they dont want to know if someone has a HCP or not.

Being a licensed driver for over forty years in a number of states, I have never been stopped by the police on the road.

Wonder why so many of you have so much experience with police stops?

This subject generates as much unfounded BS as limpwristing or "the best.....".

Is there a real LEO that would like to chime in?

but as a passenger just sit there quietly. What's the difference?

the difference is that I do not anticipate the cop to be speaking to me the passenger if i am in a vehicle stopped for some traffic violation.

The biggest reason I would willingly allow the police to trample my rights and all by handing my HCP over with my license is that from what I read on any message board dealing with this topic is that the driver gets let go without a ticket. Heck if I can not get a ticket just by telling the cop I am carrying and have a permit I am doing just that.

Guest canynracer
It is amazing to me the number of people that say as a driver they would hand over their HCP with their DL, but as a passenger just sit there quietly. What's the difference?

You may be thinking as a passenger he may not ask for your ID or check you DL...and that is true, but the same is true for the driver. Last time I was stopped a few years ago on the motorcycle, the trooper asked to see my DL and proof of insurance, showed him both, he never ran my DL through the computer, told me to slow down and that was it. Hell let's say he ran my tag before he stopped me and a "GOOD dispatcher" already ran my DL and told him I had a HCP, he never asked me about it. Just for the record, I wasn't armed at the time either, but of course it would still show a valid HCP upon a check.

I said in the other thread if you want to hand over your HCP with your DL fine, if not fine....just find it a little ironic that it seems to make a difference what seat you're sitting in as to what you do.

I think some of this might have had to do with The Rabbi's post.

If I were the passenger and was engaged by the officer, yes...if the officer asked about weapons in the car, I would let the driver say, we all have our permits...

I guess it would all depend on the situation....

I said if I am asked for ID, I give them both...and yes, my second "tin foil hat" post was me being a smart azz was because of Rabbis post :blink:

the difference is that I do not anticipate the cop to be speaking to me the passenger if i am in a vehicle stopped for some traffic violation.

The biggest reason I would willingly allow the police to trample my rights and all by handing my HCP over with my license is that from what I read on any message board dealing with this topic is that the driver gets let go without a ticket. Heck if I can not get a ticket just by telling the cop I am carrying and have a permit I am doing just that.

So you think if you get pulled over for speeding and show the cop you're an HCP holder he's just gonna wish you a nice day and maybe have some light banter about guns?:blink:

Uh,no. I don't think so.

You'll be getting a ticket regardless of your status as a HCP holder. If the guy is a real hard-ass paranoid type he will pull you out of the car, take your gun, unload it (maybe safely but I wouldnt count on the gun handling skills of LEOs) and might hand it back to you.

Most likely nothing like that will happen. But if you keep your mouth shut and gun concealed then it almost certainly will not.

Guest canynracer
So you think if you get pulled over for speeding and show the cop you're an HCP holder he's just gonna wish you a nice day and maybe have some light banter about guns?:blink:

Uh,no. I don't think so.

You'll be getting a ticket regardless of your status as a HCP holder. If the guy is a real hard-ass paranoid type he will pull you out of the car, take your gun, unload it (maybe safely but I wouldnt count on the gun handling skills of LEOs) and might hand it back to you.

Most likely nothing like that will happen. But if you keep your mouth shut and gun concealed then it almost certainly will not.

Its happened. :ugh:

In my driving career I have been pulled over 24 times (size 13 lead foot) with only 7 tickets. Recently I was pulled over in East TN for having a head light out. Both myself and the passenger were carrying and neither one of us offered our HCPs. I carry a G17 and the last thing I want is to hand it over to an LEO to clear. I have met some great LEOs and I have met my share of Barney Fifes so I'll just take my chances. If asked I will hand it over, but I will never voluteer anything.

If you want to get out of a ticket... have ALL the windows down, DL in hand, both hands on the wheel in plain sight, and if it's night have the interior light on. These simple steps help them to feel a bit more secure and its always worked for me.

Guest kwikrnu
Why would you have all the windows down? That way Officer Friendly will claim he smells dope and search your car.

I roll down my windows because the tint is not legal. I always just keep my hands on the wheel and do not rummage around looking for registraton and insurance proof. I will not let them search my car if they ask. I do not hand over my permit unless asked.

Guest kwikrnu
Oh I know, I was just making fun of the fact that someone like the sue word too much.:crazy:

I don't like the sue word. It is the only legal remedy when people scam, refuse to pay debts, or violate my legal rights. Just like anyone else I'd rather not spend time in court, but when forced to do so I will protect and defend my interests.

I don't like the sue word. It is the only legal remedy when people scam, refuse to pay debts, or violate my legal rights. Just like anyone else I'd rather not spend time in court, but when forced to do so I will protect and defend my interests.

This may have come up before, but, what kind of work do you do? Do you have a full time job?