What scope for .50 BMG?

So the AR50A1B is on the way. Now I need to start searching for a scope that works best on the 50 BMG. :)

I'm wondering if some are more suited than others due to possible vibrations, MOA adjustments since I'd like to do some extreme long range shooting/experimenting, etc.

I'd also like a lot of magnifacation in the scope for those long range shots to make up for lack of good eye-sight in my right eye.

What do you guys recommend? :)

Edited by JohnC
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really really like the Nightforce LV.5 reticle, but want more power in the scope, so the scope that has the magnification I want doesn't have the option of the LV.5. :/

http://nightforceopt...m/lv-5-reticle/

http://nightforceopt...15-x-50-f1-nxs/

But like the 42x of this one: http://nightforceopt...12-42-x-56-nxs/

And I like these Leupold Scopes (M1 and M5), but can't figure out the difference in these two other than one has an option of the Mil Dot and other doesn't.

http://www.leupold.c...-illum-reticle/

http://www.leupold.c...-illum-reticle/

Looks like there will be some compromise between magnification and reticle choice on the Nightforce if I went with one of their scopes. heh

Edited by JohnC

What reticle does it have? Do you like it?

My Barrett has a Mil Dot, I've only shot 30 rounds so far out of it to zero it in at 100yrds and see what the drop was at 200yrds, my buddy has the same rifle but with a BORS, I'm going to use his scope program and his cheat sheet to save me $$ ammo $$.

I also have another Leupold with a duplex on my .308 700P deer rifle, for me I use a range finder so either reticle works for me...

where do you plan on shooting it? what type of ammo are you going to use?

Edited by Johnny Rotten
Guest nowheretobefound

Any modern quality scope will be fine on that rifle,( i.e. IOR, S&B, Nightforce, Swarovski, Leupold, US Optics the Vortex Razor, etc.) I was sent one to test a couple years ago it was OK, nothing thrilled me about it. If they are still using the Prince bipod, that's the first thing i'd throw away.

Any modern quality scope will be fine on that rifle,( i.e. IOR, S&B, Nightforce, Swarovski, Leupold, US Optics the Vortex Razor, etc.) I was sent one to test a couple years ago it was OK, nothing thrilled me about it. If they are still using the Prince bipod, that's the first thing i'd throw away.

They don't come with bipods. They're an accessory.

That said, I'll be going with this one: http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=EX3206&ReturnUrl=Categories.aspx?Category=600225d3-2ad4-483a-819b-8e304e873dd6

I plan to get this to go with the above bipod: http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=EX3203&ReturnUrl=Categories.aspx?Category=600225d3-2ad4-483a-819b-8e304e873dd6

What didn't you like about the AR50?

I know it doesn't have a magazine and its not semi-auto, but everything else about it seems awesome. :)

My Next will be the Barret M82A1. :yum:

My Barrett has a Mil Dot, I've only shot 30 rounds so far out of it to zero it in at 100yrds and see what the drop was at 200yrds, my buddy has the same rifle but with a BORS, I'm going to use his scope program and his cheat sheet to save me $$ ammo $$.

I also have another Leupold with a duplex on my .308 700P deer rifle, for me I use a range finder so either reticle works for me...

where do you plan on shooting it? what type of ammo are you going to use?

I've not done any research yet on ranges to shoot this thing. Do all ranges accept a 50 BMG? Where do you shoot yours? :)

Ammo at this point is another option I need to read up on. Seems there is a whole lot out there for the 50 BMG though. AP, API, APIT, Match, Turned brass, etc. I would defintly like to sight in for AP, but for fun and expirementing, those API sound cool! :yum:

I came across all that here: http://www.50bmgsupply.com/ammo.shtml

Edited by JohnC

I think there are very few public ranges that will let you shoot a 50, I shoot on my buddies farm longest shot 375yrs, I also shoot at Terry's in Manchester that range is 330yrds, Barrett also uses this range too (witch tells me there's nothing in the boro area)...

I've only bought 200 rounds of FMJBT ammo, I might buy some AP at some point, I asked on another forum (AR15.com) about ammo, several people said to say away from API and APIT unless you want to start fires...

Look here for ammo, I bought from Freedom for $2.14 per rounded shipped

http://gun-deals.com/ammo

Guest m14man

check out trijicons accupoint 5-20 x 50 very nice scope glass and quility is on par with night forces 5.5-22x50(i think thats the power) but its a little cheaper. uso is also very nice but not cheap, nothing wrong with a leupold either.

Edited by m14man
Guest nowheretobefound

What didn't you like about the AR50?

When ArmaLite sent me one for evaluation it was provided with the bipod and they stated it was equipped as it was for the general buying public, evidently they rethought that!

For the money spent it's not a bad rifle as an entry level 50. My eval to them, not going into specifics included my views that (aside from the bad bipod) the bolt could have better tolerance which would help smooth it's action some, the AR type handgrip needed to be more ergonomic especially for the caliber, DBM is pretty much standard but their v block bed would have to be changed to accommodate one...which means more money spent in production. Lastly the Schilen Standard Single Stage needs to be replaced with a better two stage more suited for a single shot bolt gun.

After you have yours, if you are happy with it, that’s all that matters!

You should also check out Atlas bipods also if you haven't already.

When ArmaLite sent me one for evaluation it was provided with the bipod and they stated it was equipped as it was for the general buying public, evidently they rethought that!

For the money spent it's not a bad rifle as an entry level 50. My eval to them, not going into specifics included my views that (aside from the bad bipod) the bolt could have better tolerance which would help smooth it's action some, the AR type handgrip needed to be more ergonomic especially for the caliber, DBM is pretty much standard but their v block bed would have to be changed to accommodate one...which means more money spent in production. Lastly the Schilen Standard Single Stage needs to be replaced with a better two stage more suited for a single shot bolt gun.

After you have yours, if you are happy with it, that’s all that matters!

You should also check out Atlas bipods also if you haven't already.

Did you test the AR50A1B? If I recall correctly, they made some changes to the bolt and a few other minor things.

ArmaLite's great .50 has been refined, with smoother action, attractive new bolt stop, and even greater strength than the original AR-50. The same great accuracy, but now even more Beautiful.

Think they might have updated the safety as well.... will google it later. :)

Guest nowheretobefound

Did you test the AR50A1B? If I recall correctly, they made some changes to the bolt and a few other minor things.

Think they might have updated the safety as well.... will google it later. :)

My testing and evaluation was late November 2010, I do not know it that was before or after the "refinement" you mention. But again what matters is how you like it.

I have a SWFA super sniper 20x42 on mine. Initially I mounted it with burris steel rings. One of them broke with less than 50 rounds. I re-mounted with badger rings and have had no problems since.

I seen a video where a guy had problems with scope mounts on his AR50 in a review. This is the kind of info I'm looking for. Seems some scopes and rings may not be able to hold up to the 50 BMG.

I'll check out those rings! Thanks! :)